Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,998 times

Advertisements

Man found shot to death in Milpitas - San Jose Mercury News
Police identify 35-year-old San Jose mom killed in weekend shooting and tie separate stabbing victim's death to gang-violence - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose Mercury
The one thing the Milpitas Police Department would confirm was that the shooting was being investigated as a homicide, making it the first in the city this year. Milpitas had no murders in 2010, and two in 2009.
Looks like they're on track to have another two-homicide year. Look out Detroit, here comes Milpitas!

We also don't know anything about the circumstances involving either death yet.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Milpitas as I recall is right next to Sanjose which just exceeded its 2010 homocide stats and we aren't even 1/2 way through the year.. I am hoping Milpitas' homicide rate amongst the various crime rate statistics stay low for the year but the links were to cover the broader bay area .. which seemingly has some gang related killing .. homicide or crime every other day on mercurynews.com

Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times
As long as violent crime doesn't occur in parking garages at apple or google or on sand hill, etc who really cares?

Law abiding taxpayers on peninsula or sf (or nearly any other major economic region in us) have near zero exposure to crime and often wonder what's value to taxpayer of $200k+/yr/man police/fire in low crime areas where nearly all housing is newer and well built and on spacious lots...and truly wealthy have own private security forces anyway...much like any big tech or vc/pe can easily hire rental cops and cameras to secure own employee garages/pkg if credible threats exist in sleepy Palo alto suburbs...and any monkey knows Palo alto dt at nt w/o valet pkg is asking to be mugged...much like any dt nr 101 slums...

Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM

167 posts, read 239,649 times
Yeah, San Jose has experienced a surge of crime particularly homicides this year. I'm not sure for the sudden surge.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
As long as violent crime doesn't occur in parking garages at apple or google or on sand hill, etc who really cares?

Law abiding taxpayers on peninsula or sf (or nearly any other major economic region in us) have near zero exposure to crime and often wonder what's value to taxpayer of $200k+/yr/man police/fire in low crime areas where nearly all housing is newer and well built and on spacious lots...and truly wealthy have own private security forces anyway...much like any big tech or vc/pe can easily hire rental cops and cameras to secure own employee garages/pkg if credible threats exist in sleepy Palo alto suburbs...and any monkey knows Palo alto dt at nt w/o valet pkg is asking to be mugged...much like any dt nr 101 slums...
I mean, this is why housing/etc are much more expensive in these areas....
Sad but true.. It's the reason why i chose to live in Mountain View vs. cheaper areas towards the south. My company as well as other tech companies located in san jose have round the clock security trucks and cameras as you note.. Can't help but take note of the crime stats that are bumping up in San Jose. Really sad as most including myself are not keen on going down to the downtown for that reason

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I mean, this is why housing/etc are much more expensive in these areas....
Sad but true.. It's the reason why i chose to live in Mountain View vs. cheaper areas towards the south. My company as well as other tech companies located in san jose have round the clock security trucks and cameras as you note.. Can't help but take note of the crime stats that are bumping up in San Jose. Really sad as most including myself are not keen on going down to the downtown for that reason
Even if homicides double in SJ this year, the homicide rate here is much lower than most cities, including SF...so I think there is a certain amount of paranoia here.

That said, the more than doubling of the number of homicides this year is troubling, and a lot of police are going to get laid off because of budget issues.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Even if homicides double in SJ this year, the homicide rate here is much lower than most cities, including SF...so I think there is a certain amount of paranoia here.

That said, the more than doubling of the number of homicides this year is troubling, and a lot of police are going to get laid off because of budget issues.
True.. but just keep in mind that police are not and cannot be within every sq. ft. of San Jose at any given time... If someone wants to kill someone they are going to do it .. No matter if you have 2x the # of cops as you presently have. That being said, there is a rational staffing amount you need to keep the streets reasonably safe.. Sanjose will still have that after the cuts. Suffice to say, there isn't anything that can be done about the crowd that lives down there that causes the issues...

Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
I had lots of relatives that lived in the neighborhoods just south of King and Story roads during the 1970's and 80's. Now there were some crime areas. All grownup and moved away to better areas of the south bay except for one Aunt and Uncle who live right across the street from the elementary school my cousins attended just north of Tully rd. Now that is/was a interesting area.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,109 times
I haven't looked at hard figures but just the general feel I get from the media is that The Bay Area in general is having a bad year for homicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California