Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM

130 posts, read 579,374 times

Advertisements

California has a really cool coast compared to the East coast (of the same latitude). Northern Europe for example is kept warmer than Canada by the Atlantic jetstream and this is well know. What weather phenom. keep the California coast extremely cool for it's latitude?

Also, I was looking through the almanac at some of the mid-coast cities (Morro Bay, ect) records and they would have random days in the summer (and fall) with records of 108, 112, ect, but the average is in the 60's-70's? How does this happen? Even in Dallas where I live which is normally 30-40 degrees hotter (it's been 100 20 something days in a row now) the record is usually 104 or so. How can the tempurature spike so much? Also, it is odd becuase the record might be 108 and the next day 91. So that means the temparature went up 20 degrees in one day then fell again, which seems strange to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb0 View Post
California has a really cool coast compared to the East coast (of the same latitude). Northern Europe for example is kept warmer than Canada by the Atlantic jetstream and this is well know. What weather phenom. keep the California coast extremely cool for it's latitude?

Also, I was looking through the almanac at some of the mid-coast cities (Morro Bay, ect) records and they would have random days in the summer (and fall) with records of 108, 112, ect, but the average is in the 60's-70's? How does this happen? Even in Dallas where I live which is normally 30-40 degrees hotter (it's been 100 20 something days in a row now) the record is usually 104 or so. How can the tempurature spike so much? Also, it is odd becuase the record might be 108 and the next day 91. So that means the temparature went up 20 degrees in one day then fell again, which seems strange to me.
We have a thread talking about the cold water off our coast. That's the driving factor that influences the coastal weather. Generally, as the inland heats up in summer, the warm air rises which draws in cooler ocean air. This creates a strong seabreeze and generally keep the coast cool. Sometimes however, other weather factors cause this pattern to break down and coastal temperatures will then soar. A high pressure sitting over the interior west can make all the difference in the world. It's exact position influences if the coast will get hot, how hot it will be and where it will get hot. If the high is north like over the northern rockies, places like Seattle will see hot temperatures while places to the south will remain mild. This is why you sometimes see an "upside-down" effect on the west coast with northern places sometimes being hotter. Place that high over southern Idaho then SF will get hot while SoCal still has nice weather. Let it slip a bit farther south then LA and SD get hot. Of course all this also depends on how big that high is. Also if the high shrinks a bit in size or slips east just a few degrees, the temperatures at the coast can change dramatically and quickly. Anyone who's familiar with San Francisco or even certain inner east bay locations knows what I'm talking about. It may have been in the high 70's or 80's for days. The new day may seem to be starting out to be the same. Then at some point a sea breeze comes out of nowhere and the temperatures drop quickly and abruptly and marine layer may suddenly appear out of no where.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
the reason for the cool ocean breezes is because of the relatively cool ocean water. our ocean waters only exceed 70 degrees for a short period each year. r the water would be considered 'cold' by most people even in the middle of august, unlike places along the atlantic. the ocean currents in our little section of the world come from the north, where the water is even cooler. this gives the coastal sections of southern california some of the most temperate weather on earth.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Generally speaking, the current go clockwise in the norther hemisphere and counter clockwise in the southern. The western side of continents, especially in the mid latitudes tends to be next to cool water while the eastern sides of continents of the same latitude tends to be near the warm currents.

8(q) Surface and Subsurface Ocean Currents: Ocean Current Map

Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,288,171 times
I would also add that lack of humidity is a driving factor for why you occasionally see extreme temperatures in coastal cities (although this typically only occurs for a day or two every 5-10 years). More humid areas back east rarely get above 100 or much above, since they're saturated with humidity. Compare that to the desert Southwest, where Phoenix may have 10-20 days in the summer that reach 110+. When there is a strong offshore wind blowing, the wind blows from the mountains to the coast. As it decreases altitude, this dry wind will pick up temperatures quickly and you may see temps approaching that of Phoenix on a rare occasion.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I would also add that lack of humidity is a driving factor for why you occasionally see extreme temperatures in coastal cities (although this typically only occurs for a day or two every 5-10 years). More humid areas back east rarely get above 100 or much above, since they're saturated with humidity. Compare that to the desert Southwest, where Phoenix may have 10-20 days in the summer that reach 110+. When there is a strong offshore wind blowing, the wind blows from the mountains to the coast. As it decreases altitude, this dry wind will pick up temperatures quickly and you may see temps approaching that of Phoenix on a rare occasion.
You bring up another great point. Humidity is more uncomfortable but it actually moderates the temps, or at least prevents fluctuations. Sometimes however, those constant temps are uncomfortably high.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 PM

130 posts, read 579,374 times
Thanks, all your responses answer the question enough as far as I am concerned. I remember one time I fly into Palm Springs and it was about 110 and drove to San Diego 2-3 hours (way quicker if the road was a straight line) and it was 55-60. Microclimates

Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb0 View Post
What weather phenom. keep the California coast extremely cool for it's latitude?

California Current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California