Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 PM

27 posts, read 184,953 times

Advertisements

I am undecided on what major to pursue, but just want to know in general which of the following CAL state college is better (fame, neighborhood safety, etc.):

1. Pomona
2. Northridge
3. Fullerton
4. Los Angeles
5. Long Beach
6. San Francisco

Any comments will be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,764,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmfg888 View Post
I am undecided on what major to pursue, but just want to know in general which of the following CAL state college is better (fame, neighborhood safety, etc.):

1. Pomona
2. Northridge
3. Fullerton
4. Los Angeles
5. Long Beach
6. San Francisco

Any comments will be welcome.
out of 1-6, being one is the highest:

1)Pomona
Cal Polys are generally the best CSUs. Pomona, is in a rural part of Pomona. The rest of Pomona is pretty bad. The downtown and anything near the college is good, but the rest of the city is not so great. You are right next to Mt. Sac and if ur a cross country runner that means alot. Over all, I would say not much to do in Pomona. Usually people hang in downtown LA for entertainment
2)Fullerton
My cousin goes here. It's a commuter school, and the biggest CSU with 37,000 students. You have the beach, and in you're in a good suburbish enviroment. Fullerton is an ex-suburb of the ex-urban cities in the area like santa ana, irvine, and orange are ex-urban cities.
3)Long Beach
Kind of like Fullerton but in an urban atmosphere. Longs of things to do and near the beach. It's a very crowded campus too. They are well-known for if you want to become a physical trainer or sports trainer.
4)Northridge
This is where I'm going. It's a big school, and a commuter school. Smaller than Long Beach and Fullerton. It's in a suburban neighborhood in Los Angeles city. There is a lot to do in the area. Northridge has a mall, and Sherman Oaks has an amusement park with the biggest arcade in the west coast. They have some okay programs at Northridge, but the best program they have is accounting. They have the best accounting program in california. They also have a good chicano studies program. The school is really safe, they have a nice food court, and have an okay social life. They just introduced a new freshmen program that brings some social life to dorm kids.
5)San Francisco State
This a huge commuter school. The only thing to do around the campus is go to the lake or a mall. Otherwise you have to take BART, and its always crowded to get on it. And the weather is cold. They do have an okay fashion design program. Definately the best choice out of the others.
6)Los Angeles
WAY BIG COMMUTER school. No well-known programs, just an urban 4-yr college for kids in inner city LA. I dont know any other good parts about this college.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 PM

27 posts, read 184,953 times
Default How about between ...

I got accepted to both University of Calif. at Riverside, and CAL Pomona State University.

Again, just in general, which would be a better school to go to?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 PM

cal poly pomona is better. uc riverside is the worse uc school.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
UCR will be more expensive. I recall hearing their journalism program is good though(no idea where I heard that).

Cal Poly Pomona is great if you're going for a technical program.

UC is generally considered better than a CSU, but the Poly schools are a bit of a wildcard. I'd honestly go by what major you want and research.

Locationwise, neither is great.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
UCR will be more expensive. I recall hearing their journalism program is good though(no idea where I heard that).

Cal Poly Pomona is great if you're going for a technical program.

UC is generally considered better than a CSU, but the Poly schools are a bit of a wildcard. I'd honestly go by what major you want and research.

Locationwise, neither is great.
yeah, both cities r hot. and i didnt head riverside has a better program. i know northridge has one the best in the california. they only take like 20 kids into it per year.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Asking what is the best, one would need to know best in what? Many of the schools have certain programs or diciplines that they perform better in than other schools within the system. "The City" mentioned that Northridge is a good school for accounting. Others have said the school is a good all around B school that focuses in several aspects of the Business dicipline. Others will tell you that Northridge is also a good school for Engineering. They do seem to have a solid Engineering program as well. Other schools within the system may offer you an education in Business related subjects or in Engineering but may not have the resources that Northridge offers. Cal State Channel Islands on the other hand is a fairly new school and does not offer much in the way of Engineering, Business, or other subjects that interest me. You could check out the school to see what they do offer. I would say that you need to do that with any of the schools that you are thinking about. See what they as a school are good at. My thoughts are that it doesn't do much good to attend a campus that will not offer you the best results for your money. You spend four years at a place and then get to spend the rest of your life hoping you made the right decision.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM

916 posts, read 3,701,030 times
Long Beach. And it's not really close.

Best academics. Top 50 engineering program for example. There is a president's scholars program that has made LB the school with the most valedictorians.

It also has the best social atmosphere. Belmont Shore has a good college scene on Thursday nights. The school has on campus housing and is building more and more dorms so there really is a residential (non-commuter school) life if you want one. They just bought Brooks College and are making that student housing. They also just announced plans to build an art center with student housing etc in the arts district of LB.

Do some unbiased research on Princeton Review, US News, etc. and I think it will be pretty obvious.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 AM

916 posts, read 3,701,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
out of 1-6, being one is the highest:

1)Pomona
Cal Polys are generally the best CSUs. Pomona, is in a rural part of Pomona. The rest of Pomona is pretty bad. The downtown and anything near the college is good, but the rest of the city is not so great. You are right next to Mt. Sac and if ur a cross country runner that means alot. Over all, I would say not much to do in Pomona. Usually people hang in downtown LA for entertainment
2)Fullerton
My cousin goes here. It's a commuter school, and the biggest CSU with 37,000 students. You have the beach, and in you're in a good suburbish enviroment. Fullerton is an ex-suburb of the ex-urban cities in the area like santa ana, irvine, and orange are ex-urban cities.
3)Long Beach
Kind of like Fullerton but in an urban atmosphere. Longs of things to do and near the beach. It's a very crowded campus too. They are well-known for if you want to become a physical trainer or sports trainer.
4)Northridge
This is where I'm going. It's a big school, and a commuter school. Smaller than Long Beach and Fullerton. It's in a suburban neighborhood in Los Angeles city. There is a lot to do in the area. Northridge has a mall, and Sherman Oaks has an amusement park with the biggest arcade in the west coast. They have some okay programs at Northridge, but the best program they have is accounting. They have the best accounting program in california. They also have a good chicano studies program. The school is really safe, they have a nice food court, and have an okay social life. They just introduced a new freshmen program that brings some social life to dorm kids.
5)San Francisco State
This a huge commuter school. The only thing to do around the campus is go to the lake or a mall. Otherwise you have to take BART, and its always crowded to get on it. And the weather is cold. They do have an okay fashion design program. Definately the best choice out of the others.
6)Los Angeles
WAY BIG COMMUTER school. No well-known programs, just an urban 4-yr college for kids in inner city LA. I dont know any other good parts about this college.
Fullerton has the beach???

Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,287,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Fullerton has the beach???
Well, at least it's probably a bit easier to get to the beach from Fullerton compared to Pomona, Northridge, and Cal State LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California