Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsleonore View Post
SAT scores (verbal/ math/ 1600)

1. Cal Poly Pomona: 1060
2. SDSU: 1037
3. CSULB: 1025
4. CSU Fullerton: 984
5. CSUN: 926
6. CSULA: 876
THREE WORDS: Oh my God. And this is for TWO sections, out of 1600? Anything under 1000 is not good, IMO. And that's an average...indicating that 1/2 the people are BELOW that?

I would have expected them to be a little higher as the years went by, given that UCLA used to accept 50% a while back and now only takes 25%. Once upon a time, there was a guaranteed admit formula of GPA/SAT (not particularly rigorous) that got you into ANY UC campus.

Questions:
a) what is it at Cal Poly SLO? I would imagine higher than all of them.
b) what is it at Chico State, the party school of the North State?

As for the OP, I think they would be:
- San Luis Obispo
- Pomona
- Fullerton
- Long Beach/Northridge tied
- San Jose
- San Francisco

There are a some that are "forgettable:"
- San Bernardino
- Bakersfield
- Stanislaus
- Hayward/East Bay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,787 times
CSULA has a great engineering program!
It has a lot of history producing top student designed SAE supermileage, Solar Car, Eco Vehicles that had placed 1st in the nation, 2nd, 3rd place in the world!! All within a seven year period. As far as what school is better I think we can all agree that it depends on your major.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,787 times
Wrong. CSULA not only has a great pre nursing program and crim but engineerig as well. Ranked nationally in the top 20 CSULA has produced a great amount of SAE supermileage, Eco car, solar vehicles that have ranked from 1st in the nation to 3rd in the world all within a 7yr period.
Furthermore CSULA and CSUN are the only schools to have a hydrofuel station and CSULA with the only NASA station on campus.
I think we can all agree that there's no "better school" but what is better for your major.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,759 times
My ultimate goal is to do a decent job in USA. Taking consideration into that which one is a better choice

cal state LA or Northridge? I am not considering the entertainment opportunity or safe area.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seema.etc View Post
My ultimate goal is to do a decent job in USA. Taking consideration into that which one is a better choice

cal state LA or Northridge? I am not considering the entertainment opportunity or safe area.
What's your major? Your career will account for where you can 'do a decent job in USA'. [By that I think you mean you want to work in the US and 'get' a decent job? Or, do you mean you want to 'do a decent job' in your studies in the US? 'do a decent job' would be interpreted that you want to do well, but not sure if that means you want work after getting your college degree?]

Higher paying jobs are usually in the Bay Area, but you can go to school in LA or wherever; if your skill set is in demand, you'll find work in the bay area regardless, as an example.

It sounds like CSU-San Jose, Northridge, San Diego [sdsu] or Long Beach might be of interest to you, as far as located in metro areas where you might find jobs afterwards. Then again, Pomona and Fullerton are in the mix, location wise, as well.

I'd go with Northridge over CSU-LA, if you're only interested in these two choices. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2015, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 5,401 times
6)Los Angeles
WAY BIG COMMUTER school. No well-known programs, just an urban 4-yr college for kids in inner city LA. I dont know any other good parts about this college.

Cal State LA does have a well-known program, Administration of Justice. It also has a fairly new, state-of-the art forensics lab that is used by the LAPD.

San Francisco's theatre program is supposed to be pretty good. It would be a great place to live for 4 years. I recommended it to a friend's daughter who didn't get into Cal or Santa Cruz--she majored in theatre and loved it.

The best CSU is arguably Cal Poly. It has a well-regard architecture degree. Don't overlook the Maritime Institute if you want a career where you'll potentially make really big money.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,401 times
Between Northridge and Sacramento for someone who wants to major in law/poli sci, I'd say Sacramento, being that it is in the state capital you may have some interesting internship and job possibilities. If you are Hispanic and want to be involved in Los Angeles municipal politics, go to CSUN. It graduates more Hispanics than almost any college/university in the country. LA politics is increasingly dominated by the Hispanic vote. It would be a good place to get a toehold.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,136 times
This depends 100% on what course of study you intend to pursue. The CSU's all have a completely unique character to them and different strengths and weaknesses. "Fame" and "Neighborhood Safety" should be secondary issues for you to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California