Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,111,979 times

Advertisements

What can you guys tell me about either? I've got an interesting opportunity to pursue a year of studies there, free of charge, aside from COL. Also, is it car dependent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
What can you guys tell me about either? I've got an interesting opportunity to pursue a year of studies there, free of charge, aside from COL. Also, is it car dependent?
I went there for school and loved it. SLO is a small college town in a beautiful area on the Central Coast.

You could get by without a car if you live close to campus. It's a small town, and has a bus system, but I mostly drove while I was there.

There have been a lot of posts about San Luis Obispo, what else do you want to know?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:29 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,111,979 times
Just... what're the demographics of the town? Is it whitewashed and typical American, loaded with strip malls like the stereotypical socal scene? Is it a hub of diversity? Wikipedia statistics can only take you so far. Is it bikeable? Progressive? Conservative? I'd be coming as an alternative to Cleveland (rust-belt, classic Americana in the midst of resurgence with a progressive, Portlandy twist, which I love) and Minneapolis, a dense, bikeable, hippie-ish city with a diverse economy and population.

What strikes me as interesting about SLO is that most of the rent prices are in my price range. California has a reputation for being crazily expensive.

Last edited by UKUKUK; 08-15-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 PM

26,777 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Is it a hub of diversity? Is it bikeable? Progressive? I'd be coming as an alternative to Cleveland (rust-belt, classic Americana in the midst of resurgence with a progressive, Portlandy twist, and Minneapolis, a dense, bikeable, hippie-ish city.
You won't find any of that at Cal Poly Pomona. SLO might be a better fit for you.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,702,656 times
Quote:
There must be a thousand posts on San Luis and Cal Poly, check around,

Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM

157 posts, read 505,231 times
Born, raised in SLO. Like most young people, left as soon as I finished high school. Cal Poly did not have my college major, however, it is considered to be an excellent school, particularly for some areas of study. I can see going there for one year because it is free. You will determine if you want to complete your education there.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:45 PM

168 posts, read 555,282 times
First off it's Cal Poly. We have a fair share of strip malls, but a very strong vibrant downtown, and not as many big box hubs as cities similar in size. This is a very walkable/bike friendly community and the transit system is really well put together, again thanks to the university.

We have a lack of diversity... I will be very frank with you on that. It has a good mix of conservative values and progressive thinking thanks to the university. When it comes to City politics though, it is a good ol' boys network. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:09 PM

26,777 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
There must be a thousand posts on San Luis and Cal Poly, check around
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-cal-poly.html

Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM

388 posts, read 850,220 times
It's definitely not the typical strip malls you'll see elsewhere though. If you aren't from California, it's a few "californian" type of town. The strip malls are actually quite bearable compared to back east and i dont mind them at all. Also, every time I drive through I see plenty of people on bikes and walking around town, so it can't be too hard to get around without a car.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:41 PM

10 posts, read 20,190 times
SLO definitely isn't diverse like major California cities such as LA and SF. Areas surrounding SLO do have vibrant Mexican and Filipino communities, however. San Luis Obispo has an Asian market on Monterey Street, and there's even a Filipino grocery store in nearby Pismo Beach; Mexican markets abound in Santa Maria and Los Osos.

SLO does NOT have the typical SoCal scene, although it definitely is the first town with a slight SoCal feel as you drive south on the 101. There are a few strip malls and a cluster of big box stores, but most of the activity is centered in the vibrant, energetic downtown. The downtown is excellent, with great restaurants, boutiques, galleries, etc. all linked together in a very pedestrian-friendly network of sidewalks and pathways.

Bikeable? Yes. The first Thursday of every month is "Bike Night" in SLO, during which hundreds of cyclists peddle through the main downtown drag (Higuera Street)...it's quite an event! Just be prepared for some hills around town.

As others have said, I'd say you'll find a healthy mix of conservative and liberal ideals in San Luis Obispo itself, with more conservative leanings farther out from town.

I say go for it! Especially if you enjoy the outdoors - tons of hiking, biking, surfing, kayaking, and rock climbing opportunities in the area. San Luis Obispo WAS rated the Happiest City in America for a reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California