Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Could be better, but I really like the upward trend-very good.
Quote:
[LEFT]The STAR test results show that 54 percent of students scored proficient or above in English-language arts and 50 percent reached that level in mathematics.

Officials say those were the highest percentages in both subjects since the STAR program began in 2003, when only 35 percent of students scored proficient or above in each category.

Read more: California test scores rise for 9th straight year - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/15/3839870/california-test-scores-rise-for.html#ixzz1V9ika22k - broken link)
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Given demographic trends I am not surprised. While there has been an influx of Latino migrant labor there has also been an influx of hyper competitive, Tiger Mom raised immigrants from Asia and Eastern Europe. That has got to have raised scores. Sometimes it's out of hand, Google "Monta Vista High School" and "stress."

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Given demographic trends I am not surprised. While there has been an influx of Latino migrant labor there has also been an influx of hyper competitive, Tiger Mom raised immigrants from Asia and Eastern Europe. That has got to have raised scores. Sometimes it's out of hand, Google "Monta Vista High School" and "stress."
In my backyard :
4th teen from same Palo Alto high school commits suicide - latimes.com

Sink or swim I guess ....

Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
^Now that you mention it, I have a lot of friends in SV whose kids imo seem extremely overwhelmed by their parents' wanting them to be perfect.

I suppose when your parents are uber successful, have engineering degrees and finance degrees from MIT and Stanford and the like, there is incredible pressure.

Sometimes I wish they'd let their kids be kids, but on the other hand, I detest the glorification of slacking off that seems to be pervasive in our youth and pop culture today. SMH.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
San Diego apparently came in first in English scores as far as large metros go and third in math.

Quote:
According to the SDUSD, this is the fifth straight year of improvement, and the English scores are the best of any large, urban district in the state. Math results ranked third among similar districts.
Standardized Test Scores Show Student Gains - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,577 times
There is NO EVIDENCE that average test scores went up. All it says is that a higher percentage of students passed the test. For all we know, the dumb kids could be doing immensely worse than they were before.

Are you not aware that the educracy is highly incentivized to produce positive results? You should always regard their statistics with a suspicious eye.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM

943 posts, read 1,320,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
There is NO EVIDENCE that average test scores went up. All it says is that a higher percentage of students passed the test. For all we know, the dumb kids could be doing immensely worse than they were before.

Are you not aware that the educracy is highly incentivized to produce positive results? You should always regard their statistics with a suspicious eye.
Isn't everything in the human world highly incentivized to produce positive results? From the most basic thing up: I am highly incentivized to stay alive at this moment rather than drop dead.

It would be crazy for a system to be designed to incentivize negative results, or even neutral results.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,079 times
Don't get too excited. The state has lower the bar when it scores the test. they have made the test simpler also. The test takers do not have to write an essay either. Many students have their tests scored more favorably because they might be special ed or English language learners. Also the curriculum in English and math has been geared toward these state tests.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Isn't everything in the human world highly incentivized to produce positive results? From the most basic thing up: I am highly incentivized to stay alive at this moment rather than drop dead.

It would be crazy for a system to be designed to incentivize negative results, or even neutral results.
Interesting. That's so genius I can't even wrap my head around it.

Meanwhile, back in the real world . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
The state has lower the bar when it scores the test. they have made the test simpler also. The test takers do not have to write an essay either. Many students have their tests scored more favorably because they might be special ed or English language learners. Also the curriculum in English and math has been geared toward these state tests.
Like I said, keep a wary eye on the educracy. They're under enormous pressure to defy reality.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
^Now that you mention it, I have a lot of friends in SV whose kids imo seem extremely overwhelmed by their parents' wanting them to be perfect.

I suppose when your parents are uber successful, have engineering degrees and finance degrees from MIT and Stanford and the like, there is incredible pressure.

Sometimes I wish they'd let their kids be kids, but on the other hand, I detest the glorification of slacking off that seems to be pervasive in our youth and pop culture today. SMH.
I agree with you on both counts. The key is to not to go extremes on either end. I think the slackers generally far outnumber the overahievers, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California