Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

I think the main reason is that the xenophobic undertones in the rhetoric from many of their most prominent leaders, as well as GOP friendly media personalities make it impossible for them to gain traction with Latino Voters. (BTW, I largely agree with their stance on border control)

Quote:
A new analysis by the Field Poll shows that even as California's total voter registration grew by more than 2 million voters over the past 20 years, Republican registration declined by 285,944 voters, to 5.3 million.

The party's share of statewide registration declined eight percentage points, to 31 percent.

Meanwhile, the proportion of registered voters who are Latino grew by about 2.3 million, from 10 percent of the state's registered voters in 1992 to 22 percent today, according to the poll.
This is also a HUGE factor for their decline as this hard right turn does not bode well for attracting young people.
Quote:
Indeed, California Republicans are more conservative than they once were. The proportion of state Republicans who identify themselves as strongly conservative increased from 34 percent in 1992 to 49 percent today, according to the poll. The proportion of Republicans identifying their politics as middle-of-the-road declined 11 percentage points, to 28 percent.

Read more: California's Republican party has changed since Reagan's time - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/07/2394217/californias-republican-party-has.html#ixzz1XH78OREi - broken link)

Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Oh, this is going to be good ... a barn-burner!
Montclair, you deserve an award of some kind for providing the community with recreation

And what is particularly interesting about this report is that, with regard to this C D Forum, as I pointed out a couple years back, posts here appear to run at least equal, if not skewed strongly (my opinion), to the conservative voices ... indicating that, despite the HUGE disparity of such a small relative conservative community to such a large liberal one, conservatives tend to bellyache in California more than liberals. So add that fuel to the fire and let the games begin

Last edited by nullgeo; 09-07-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think the main reason is that the xenophobic undertones in the rhetoric from many of their most prominent leaders, as well as GOP friendly media personalities make it impossible for them to gain traction with Latino Voters. (BTW, I largely agree with their stance on border control)

This is also a HUGE factor for their decline as this hard right turn does not bode well for attracting young people.

Read more: California's Republican party has changed since Reagan's time - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/07/2394217/californias-republican-party-has.html#ixzz1XH78OREi - broken link)
So basically there are a few million less registered Republicans and a few million more illegals in CA, that's the most shocking thing I've read all year.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I expect a bit of baiting may take place in this thread, so I'll provide my brief observation before it may get shut down.

I think that something interesting may be taking place here. It is possible that California, with it's huge and fast growing minority population actually is a bit leading edge here. By that I mean it may reflect more of the country direction in the coming few decades. The other possibility is that California is just going out in a different direction from the majority of the US, and have a political sentiment that is altogether different than the remainder of the country.

The minority growth and voting pattern would seem to indicate California as "leading edge", but the hard right turn national vote in 2010 would seem to indicate California is going in a different direction than the remainder of the country.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I think this is more telling of the actual political change that is occuring in California.

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf...tVotersJTF.pdf

I believe you have more moderate Republicans shifting toward being an Independant as I have.

Be careful about pegging the Latino vote. You might be surprised in the next ten years as the population matures how many are shifting conservative.

Just an observation from this gun toting Independant Conservative Catholic Latino.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
I believe this article. There has been and will continue to be a huge influx of illegal Hispanics into the state due to the democrats pandering to the Hispanic vote. The democrats have allowed illegals to enter the state and directed public funds to pay for their welfare ... all for the almighty Hispanic vote. The republicans see the writing on the wall and they are leaving in droves. The major cities are already overloaded with illegal aliens to the point where public schools are overloaded with the children of illegals. Schools have had to hire Spanish speaking teachers and teach classes in Spanish. The State, country and local budgets are running deficits now with no relief from the feds. The unemployment is growing and the jobs are leaving the state. The States rate of decline will increase as California spirals out of control. California has sold itself to the devil for the democrat vote. The rate of American citizens and businesses leaving will increase as we go forward.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I believe this article. There has been and will continue to be a huge influx of illegal Hispanics into the state due to the democrats pandering to the Hispanic vote. The democrats have allowed illegals to enter the state and directed public funds to pay for their welfare ... all for the almighty Hispanic vote. The republicans see the writing on the wall and they are leaving in droves. The major cities are already overloaded with illegal aliens to the point where public schools are overloaded with the children of illegals. Schools have had to hire Spanish speaking teachers and teach classes in Spanish. The State, country and local budgets are running deficits now with no relief from the feds. The unemployment is growing and the jobs are leaving the state. The States rate of decline will increase as California spirals out of control. California has sold itself to the devil for the democrat vote. The rate of American citizens and businesses leaving will increase as we go forward.
Bingo.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I think this is more telling of the actual political change that is occuring in California.

I believe you have more moderate Republicans shifting toward being an Independant as I have.

Be careful about pegging the Latino vote. You might be surprised in the next ten years as the population matures how many are shifting conservative.

Just an observation from this gun toting Independant Conservative Catholic Latino.
It does not matter which party gets the votes at this point. The problem is the huge increase in illegal immigration is unsustainable at some point and that point has already passed . A state can only handle so many people before their budgets are overloaded. The state is losing tax revenue and already exhausted its 2011-2012 budget which was approved in July. Its very obvious what going to happen next.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM

78,424 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Having lived in states\areas that were dominated by a single party (dem and rep) I would like to offer you my condolences.

Neither party is really that much different and they serve to keep an eye on one another. Once a single party grabs a strong foothold they can pander even more strongly and corruption grows, the people are served less and so on and so forth.

I hope things work out for you guys better than my experiences.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I expect a bit of baiting may take place in this thread, so I'll provide my brief observation before it may get shut down.

I think that something interesting may be taking place here. It is possible that California, with it's huge and fast growing minority population actually is a bit leading edge here. By that I mean it may reflect more of the country direction in the coming few decades. The other possibility is that California is just going out in a different direction from the majority of the US, and have a political sentiment that is altogether different than the remainder of the country.

The minority growth and voting pattern would seem to indicate California as "leading edge", but the hard right turn national vote in 2010 would seem to indicate California is going in a different direction than the remainder of the country.
Good observations, New ... and as everyone knows: you can't go fishing without good bait
(Singin' any fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

-- Taj Mahal)
That said, and quoted, California is both "leading edge" and "going in a different direction" ... it has always been so ... one of the greatest characteristics about the state: independent harbinger ... goes its own way with vision ... and because of its intellect, leadership, and resources the rest of the country, and world even, tends to follow eventually in ways, at least to limited degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Yassir boss! There's truth there, bubba ... but here's the thing to consider: most all institutions and individuals that start out on bold, progressive paths, tend to become complacent and protective over time given any success -- thus becoming more and more conservative in their paths ... but there's always a bunch of youth and oppressed bringing up the tail to disrupt and push for fresh change. Dang! Nothing left to do then but go fishin' ...

... and so I refrain:
any fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too!
(Thank you Taj!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California