Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where in California do they have the hottest prettiest girls?
San Diego area 14 21.21%
Orange County area 12 18.18%
LA area 20 30.30%
San Francisco area 2 3.03%
San Jose area 2 3.03%
Sacramento area 3 4.55%
Riverside area 1 1.52%
Oakland area 2 3.03%
Fresno area 4 6.06%
Other 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
If there is one thing that healthy marriages are not based upon it is "equality of the sexes". Equality as a fundamental value (note: a belief in equality can be harmless on the sidelines) is always a recipe for frustration and disappointment. Because life just isn't like that.

If you tell me that you have a happy marriage because of your belief in equality of the sexes, what you mean is that you have a happy marriage despite your belief in equality of the sexes.
You crawl up out of the dark ages? You sound lke a refugee from my parents' generation. Most of them ended up divorced. In fact most of the couples I've known with successful marriages have been pretty equal. Most of the dysfunctional ones I've known generally involved a dominant spouse. That's just how it is nowadays.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Of course healthy marriages are based primarily upon mutual love, respect, and compatibility - not upon female prettiness, and not upon the good male instincts that a pretty woman might inspire. Sexual attraction of any kind is always, at best, just a beginning. Still, that beginning is important, and sets the tone for whatever follows.

If there is one thing that healthy marriages are not based upon it is "equality of the sexes". Equality as a fundamental value (note: a belief in equality can be harmless on the sidelines) is always a recipe for frustration and disappointment. Because life just isn't like that.

If you tell me that you have a happy marriage because of your belief in equality of the sexes, what you mean is that you have a happy marriage despite your belief in equality of the sexes.
You certainly do have a habit of telling other people what they "really" mean, don't you? No, that's not what I mean. Nor is your definition of equality what I mean. I refer to equality through balancing of strengths.

I could overpower my late wife physically (with considerable struggle, though ... she was an excellent wrestler! ) ... but I do believe she had every bit as much endurance for a day's work that I did, and seemed to be able to keep that going more days in a row than I might be willing, even if capable. I was a better hockey player than she'd ever be. But she could out garden me to a shameful degree.

My present wife can beat the pants off me (literally) at cribbage and certain other card games -- even though I can out fox-her with logical argument on most issues (which she absolutely hates about me).

Thus I do not consider myself stronger nor smarter than my wives. What would be the fun in that for an old coyote?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
Quote:
Of course healthy marriages are based primarily upon mutual love, respect, and compatibility - not upon female prettiness, and not upon the good male instincts that a pretty woman might inspire. Sexual attraction of any kind is always, at best, just a beginning. Still, that beginning is important, and sets the tone for whatever follows.

I say .45 Glock is a pretty good equalizer, whether the other side likes the idea of equality or not, isn't it?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You certainly do have a habit of telling other people what they "really" mean, don't you? No, that's not what I mean. Nor is your definition of equality what I mean. I refer to equality through balancing of strengths.

I could overpower my late wife physically (with considerable struggle, though ... she was an excellent wrestler! ) ... but I do believe she had every bit as much endurance for a day's work that I did, and seemed to be able to keep that going more days in a row than I might be willing, even if capable. I was a better hockey player than she'd ever be. But she could out garden me to a shameful degree.

My present wife can beat the pants off me (literally) at cribbage and certain other card games -- even though I can out fox-her with logical argument on most issues (which she absolutely hates about me).

Thus I do not consider myself stronger nor smarter than my wives. What would be the fun in that for an old coyote?
Wow, people still play cribbage?!
That's one of the few things my mom and i actually enjoyed doing together when i was young.
Of course women are strong ... some would say, in almost all ways, stronger then men.
I bet your wife can't stand your strength in logic.
It's rather impressive.
If certain people (clears throat) were humble enough to recognize that, they wouldn't be wasting their energy fighting you.
That reminds me of something that i was thinking the other night re; this forum.
I've spent my entire life around people who are more intelligent, more aware, more experienced, more skillful and more wise than i.
That's how i've learned and evolved and grown.
And i've spent enough time around people who aren't.
I much prefer the former.
Being able to recognize / admit and appreciate one's "betters" (not essentially better but "better" in the sense of more intelligent, more expansive awareness, more experienced, more clear, etc.) is a wise and skillful thing.
There are people on this forum who could actually learn something from others if they weren't so narrow minded, so full of hubris and so attached to asserting their silly little points of view and needing always to be in the "right".

Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
Someone who's a good, obedient house slave makes a good husband, I think.
I agree with Western Pilgrim, these unions shouldn't be equal...

Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
Quote:
OK, thanks for clearing that up.

But on the flip side, that would imply that two people with "unbalanced strengths" cannot be happily married. And that just isn't so. In fact, I would argue that any couple who sees a "balance of strengths" as essential to their relationship is going to be deeply disappointed.

You're right that we're talking past each other a bit. I don't mean equality as in a balancing of strengths, or inequality as in one spouse being stronger than the other. I mean that men and women, though equal in value and dignity, are - or ought to be - ontologically unequal in their purposes and priorities. Inequality of strengths is a given, and I don't think it's helpful in a marriage to keep track of this too closely. But that's probably a discussion for another forum.

Sacramento has the prettiest girls.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 03-25-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Wow, people still play cribbage?!
That's one of the few things my mom and i actually enjoyed doing together when i was young.
Of course women are strong ... some would say, in almost all ways, stronger then men.
I bet your wife can't stand your strength in logic.
It's rather impressive.
If certain people (clears throat) were humble enough to recognize that, they wouldn't be wasting their energy fighting you.
That reminds me of something that i was thinking the other night re; this forum.
I've spent my entire life around people who are more intelligent, more aware, more experienced, more skillful and more wise than i.
That's how i've learned and evolved and grown.
And i've spent enough time around people who aren't.
I much prefer the former.
Being able to recognize / admit and appreciate one's "betters" (not essentially better but "better" in the sense of more intelligent, more expansive awareness, more experienced, more clear, etc.) is a wise and skillful thing.
There are people on this forum who could actually learn something from others if they weren't so narrow minded, so full of hubris and so attached to asserting their silly little points of view and needing always to be in the "right".
Aw shucks ... * kicks dust * ... dang, took the wind outta me there.
Anyway, if you want a good game of cribbage, come on over and meet the wife. It's a game that Deaf and hearing can play without interpreters, no problem. I just explained to her what I was writing. She laughed and reports that one of her grandmas won a regional state cribbage championship. And that grandma taught my wife to play.

And speaking of her grandmas and strong women -- I would just about propose to marry them if I was single! These are some fun and rugged gals! Both still living large -- one in her mid-80's (the cribbage champ) still mowing her lawn and shoveling her snow -- and the other about early 90's just recently cut back to working part-time at a nursing home. Both outlived their husbands by a long shot

Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times
I should address the "weaker sex" complaint. Are women truly the weaker sex? Do they need the "protection" of men? Because their purposes and priorities are different from men, it follows that in general, they have different strengths and weaknesses. Yes, I'm generalizing - there are individuals of both sexes who are exceptions to the rule. But in general women are more easily led by their emotions, more easily led into dangerous situations, and they benefit from men in their lives who can take a more objective and de-personalized view of things. Men still lead, and women still follow, though women need not follow blindly or un-intelligently.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Aw shucks ... * kicks dust * ... dang, took the wind outta me there.
Anyway, if you want a good game of cribbage, come on over and meet the wife. It's a game that Deaf and hearing can play without interpreters, no problem. I just explained to her what I was writing. She laughed and reports that one of her grandmas won a regional state cribbage championship. And that grandma taught my wife to play.

And speaking of her grandmas and strong women -- I would just about propose to marry them if I was single! These are some fun and rugged gals! Both still living large -- one in her mid-80's (the cribbage champ) still mowing her lawn and shoveling her snow -- and the other about early 90's just recently cut back to working part-time at a nursing home. Both outlived their husbands by a long shot
Hmmmm, i'm wondering what happened to my moms cribbage board.
She's passed on years ago and i don't know where it went but it belonged to her mother so it's quite old.
I'll have to ask my brother.
"come on over" huh? Got a yacht waiting for me in the S.C. harbor?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I should address the "weaker sex" complaint. Are women truly the weaker sex? Do they need the "protection" of men? Because their purposes and priorities are different from men, it follows that in general, they have different strengths and weaknesses. Yes, I'm generalizing - there are individuals of both sexes who are exceptions to the rule. But in general women are more easily led by their emotions, more easily led into dangerous situations, and they benefit from men in their lives who can take a more objective and de-personalized view of things. Men still lead, and women still follow, though women need not follow blindly or un-intelligently.
Appreciating the physical protection that a man can offer (and i certainly do btw ... no "feminist" here despite my mother's attempt!) does not mean that men lead.
It just means that men are, generally speaking, physically stronger and more geared to fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California