Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 07:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,633 times

Advertisements

Templeton appears to be a nice, clean and attractive town on the central coast. It has good weather and a rural feeling. Also, has a new medical facility.
Any thoughts both pro and con for this city as a retirement area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Templeton has had the same scourge attack it as so many towns in the area. Development. It used to be a nice little town, now it is like everywhere else.

The stockyard is closing, to smelly for the new comers. Hoover's Beef Palace is still there, but for how long?

The Fourth of July Parade is still a loop parade, but as the town grows, that may change too.

Try this. What will you like to do for fun for your retirement, golf? Hiking? etc. What town in the area is closest to what you want to be doing. Hiking might make Cuyama the perfect place. Golf, anywhere... will do. etc.

If you are set on Templeton, personally I would find a few acres to the east of Templeton, Creston, Pozo etc.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Templeton has had the same scourge attack it as so many towns in the area. Development. It used to be a nice little town, now it is like everywhere else.

The stockyard is closing, to smelly for the new comers. Hoover's Beef Palace is still there, but for how long?

The Fourth of July Parade is still a loop parade, but as the town grows, that may change too.

Try this. What will you like to do for fun for your retirement, golf? Hiking? etc. What town in the area is closest to what you want to be doing. Hiking might make Cuyama the perfect place. Golf, anywhere... will do. etc.

If you are set on Templeton, personally I would find a few acres to the east of Templeton, Creston, Pozo etc.
After reading some of your posts, i quite like what you do. Have a few acres and raise my own food and live lightly on the land. I don't golf but mountain bike, walk the trails, watersports, drink in the beauty, might take a time at sailing or kayaking, work with my hands and perhaps build a dwelling. Other things as well that require natural beauty.

Not set on Templeton, just saw some photos of the area and it seemed attractive. At the moment, doing the research stage. Thanks for the suggestions, i will study them.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
SLO County and Santa Barbara County have a lot of people that think as you and I, the weather is good, the trails are plentiful. CCCMB is a great group of Mountain Bikers they too give back to the community.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Yep,
I agree Templeton is a awful place. That darn Templeton Gap lets all that awful moderate marine air come over the hill...

Seriously though.. I must admit it is on our short list of areas to relocate in from Wisconsin.

I am an organic farmer/woodworker and my spouse cares for elderly, we have kids in school, but are rural self sufficient types. (I typically go to town once a week to sell my products, and get supplies.)

We are comfortable going to a town with a couple thousand people, can tolerate ones with 20K people, and freak out and get real uptight in larger cities..

Prozo and Creston seem more affordable, but my thinking is it is dryer, hotter and less forested and grazing land only ... We melt over 90 and require a more "bucolic" setting..

Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yep,
I agree Templeton is a awful place. That darn Templeton Gap lets all that awful moderate marine air come over the hill...

Seriously though.. I must admit it is on our short list of areas to relocate in from Wisconsin.

I am an organic farmer/woodworker and my spouse cares for elderly, we have kids in school, but are rural self sufficient types. (I typically go to town once a week to sell my products, and get supplies.)

We are comfortable going to a town with a couple thousand people, can tolerate ones with 20K people, and freak out and get real uptight in larger cities..

Prozo and Creston seem more affordable, but my thinking is it is dryer, hotter and less forested and grazing land only ... We melt over 90 and require a more "bucolic" setting..
Yes, i used to live up near the Wisconsin Northwoods and believe you will find the central coast a different "animal". The forested areas tend to be northern California and up in the Sierra.

The closer you are to the coast the less 90 degree days you will have. Paso Robles has very warm summers and cool winters. Well not as cold as Wisconsin but you get my drift? When i first came to California in January, i wore tee-shirts and wondered why the locals were in parkas. It was like a fine spring day.

I do organic gardening as well and need some good soil and water. A 15k town would be about right. Check out Arroyo Grande as it may meet your needs.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yes, i used to live up near the Wisconsin Northwoods and believe you will find the central coast a different "animal". The forested areas tend to be northern California and up in the Sierra.

The closer you are to the coast the less 90 degree days you will have. Paso Robles has very warm summers and cool winters. Well not as cold as Wisconsin but you get my drift? When i first came to California in January, i wore tee-shirts and wondered why the locals were in parkas. It was like a fine spring day.

I do organic gardening as well and need some good soil and water. A 15k town would be about right. Check out Arroyo Grande as it may meet your needs.
Thanks.. Will do!! We will be out for a few weeks in early June to kick around a bit.. Last trip was north of SF this trip will be getting a good feel for just south of Lomopoc, SLO county and SC county.. Maybe shoot up and over and check out Butte county, maybe not... Because we do like the coastal influence in more than one way....

Be well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California