Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,554 times

Advertisements

If smog tech was checking your tires and charging you for it, congratulations, you got ripped off. There is no such thing as a safety inspection or 'insurance checks' in LA or anywhere else in California. There are tons of uninsured and undocumented drivers in California. You get hit by one, you're **** out of luck. I know plenty of people that have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
In FL if someone is pulled over for a traffic stop and they have no car insurance, they get a ticket for that and drive off.
And its exactly the same in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
If smog tech was checking your tires and charging you for it, congratulations, you got ripped off. There is no such thing as a safety inspection or 'insurance checks' in LA or anywhere else in California. There are tons of uninsured and undocumented drivers in California. You get hit by one, you're **** out of luck. I know plenty of people that have been.

And its exactly the same in California.

Look I'm not going to get into a p**sing contest with you.

In CA if you have no car insurance and you're pulled over for a traffic stop, they impound your car when you have no car insurance.

Last edited by seain dublin; 01-25-2012 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: change

Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,554 times
Quote:
Look I'm not going to get into a p**sing contest with you.

In CA if you have no car insurance and you're pulled over for a traffic stop, they impound your car when you have no car insurance.
You just need to read the law which has already been posted in this thread repeatedly but you somehow managed to miss each time.
http://www.lao.ca.gov/ballot/2007/070858.pdf
Quote:
Current Law
California law requires anyone who operates a motor vehicle on the public streets or highways to maintain some form of financial responsibility. For most drivers, the financial responsibility requirement is satisfied by maintaining automobile liability insurance. Drivers must show evidence of automobile insurance coverage in order to register a motor vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). While a peace officer
may not stop a vehicle for the sole purpose of determining compliance with the financial responsibility requirement, drivers who are stopped for other reasons or involved in a collision must show proof of insurance when it is requested by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) or local law enforcement officers. Failure to provide proof of insurance can lead to denial of the application for registration, the issuance of a citation, and/or suspension of vehicle registration. An uninsured driver who is involved in a collision could have his/her driving privileges restricted or suspended for one year.
Nothing in there about having your car impounded. If you have evidence to the contrary post it or quit trolling.

Last edited by evergraystate; 01-25-2012 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
I don't think so. As someone who lived in CA for 20 plus years when I took my car in they also looked at your tire treads and tested your brakes. Every other year you had to get an inspection.
I've been driving (a car) in CA since the late sixties and the only inspection I've ever had to have performed is emission-related. Never have I had an equipment inspection.

Now the 18-wheelers, different story.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,034 times
I remember in the late 60s when I was about 7 or 8 years old there being surprise "safety inspections" for cars. My mom and I being waved over for one just outside Oakdale. Ancient history and even though I'm sure its still on the books I've never seen one since.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
I don't think so. As someone who lived in CA for 20 plus years when I took my car in they also looked at your tire treads and tested your brakes. Every other year you had to get an inspection.

There was more to the test then just seeing if you passed the smog check.
No idea what the hell you're talking about. Been in CA all my 28 years and the only thing they care about is Smog and liability insurance. They don't inspect you cars for bald tires or bad breaks, you've probably been going to some shop that is ripping you off.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,108 times
Hmmm so California was better during the 80's when crime rates were high, pollution was higher and the cities were more rundown?

Yess

Old 01-26-2012, 07:54 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And a lot of the old people giving advise and telling younger people "I did this, so should you" don't realize how much has changed.
Do I ever know THIS feeling. When I was about to be homeless and penniless I came back home to the Midwest and had quite a few very older family members talking sh*t behind my back of how I should have stayed in CA (San Luis Obispo). How I didn't try hard enough, well who knows maybe they are right, but I am 110% satisfied knowing how damn hard I tried to find stable work, and how fierce the competition is VS 1956 when these people talking about me had friends moving out to CA and building nice comfortable lives with no education. As the.OP said, those days are over. I've experienced it, but maybe one day the California Dream will be attainable again for the average Joe, can't be hopeless but can.easily be homeless.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I live within my means ... Most Kalifornians don't

Take a drive thru Beverly Hills, Holmbly Hills and Bel Air ... OPEN your EYES ... Extreme extravagant living with little, or no sympathy for the suffering.

Example: Housewives of Bervely Hills. None of those snobby, out of control American women own the home they live. I bet they are all in debt and underwater. Even one husband committed suicide, and the show stayed on the air. What a joke. The U.S. Media TV & Film Industry: Make money - Who cares about values and morals. Don't hate on me ... hate on your own. Kalifornian's Head Honcho Gov. Schwarzenegger had numerous affiars on his devoted wife. The guy has 4 kids. Fornicated with his Mexican maid. I bet Tax Money was spent on his sexual liasons, outside Sacramento.
We have our fair share of "Housewives" types here too, from Miami-Dade to Palm Beach Counties you will see the wealth, also on the left coast Naples is full of it. Maybe not near the magnitude of California but it has gotten worse in my opinion over the years here.

Florida is a great state to live if your rich, well off or retired, more of this applies in South Florida where the cost of living is higher. It's not a great state for Tech. work, the jobs here pay less though I'm making more than average currently, if my current job went poof! tomorrow, I would be forced to leave the state due to lack available alternatives. There is little here in tech work or even manufacturing and what is here is small or dwindling away. If you work a service job or medical, plastic surgery, cosmetic dentistry, it's the land of honey. You will do well here and have plenty of other opportunities.

As bad as the comments are on CA and whether these apply to all types of people and work backgrounds, there are more companies and jobs in my sector there than here or elsewhere for that fact. Now if only Pink Slip Rick can lure these companies to relocate to South Florida and make it easier for me, I'll be sold but in reality I know that won't happen.

Then again the thought of living in a 1 bedroom apartment in the Bay Area just to have a job is not my idea of a good time either. Where have the good times gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California