Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Some astounding revelations here ... just when you thought real estate would take a break in the Bay ... heh

Wealthy Chinese seek special visas to relocate to Bay Area - San Jose Mercury News

"Between 1992 and 2011, the number of applications for investor visas jumped 700 percent, from 474 to 3,805, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In the past two years alone, the number applicants has nearly quadrupled. More applications by far come from China than any other country. Last year, 77 percent of all of those who applied for these visas were Chinese.
"They are standing in line," said Scott Bachman, CEO of San Mateo-based eBee5."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Some astounding revelations here ... just when you thought real estate would take a break in the Bay ... heh

Wealthy Chinese seek special visas to relocate to Bay Area - San Jose Mercury News

"Between 1992 and 2011, the number of applications for investor visas jumped 700 percent, from 474 to 3,805, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In the past two years alone, the number applicants has nearly quadrupled. More applications by far come from China than any other country. Last year, 77 percent of all of those who applied for these visas were Chinese.
"They are standing in line," said Scott Bachman, CEO of San Mateo-based eBee5."
Doesn't surprise me. One of the girls I'm talking to is from Shanghai. Her parents are buying up a lot of property here.

Guess why...

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
This is nothing but good for the US. Using our appeal (real or imagined) to drain rising economies of the wealth and brainpower of their elite is exactly what we should be doing to counter their ability to best us in cheap labor.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
This is nothing but good for the US. Using our appeal (real or imagined) to drain rising economies of the wealth and brainpower of their elite is exactly what we should be doing to counter their ability to best us in cheap labor.
I was invited to the Cai Guo Qiang opening at MOCA last night. He's definitely one of China's best-known, most successful, and most talented and creative artists of this era.

He resides in New York and Los Angeles.

That stuck out to me last night as well, as I was there with a Chinese-American woman and was surrounded by wealthy and sophisticated Chinese expatriates; it's also something that I've heard from people, including the aforementioned girl whose father is a venture capitalist in Shanghai: brain drain. There will always be talented, intelligent, and creative people in China who never leave and never want to, but there will also always be a huge number who would much, much rather reside in the US to take advantage of the many freedoms and economic advantages that are present here, but aren't overseas. Her family, for instance, views the US as a safe place to put their money, a safe place to purchase business ventures, and as their best option for enjoying the quality of their life.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Yes. And where are the favored places to come with their wealth? Right: California. Most specifically the Bay area. Keeping the most expensive place most expensive

I don't care. I've got my van and my boats. I wouldn't live in a house if I was given the keys to a mansion with all the servants to care for it -- and the wealth to pay for 'em. I just thnk it's kinda amusing.

I prefer a bedroll and open spaces. The Chinese can have the Bay.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Nothing but good for America.. Laughable.. $1 million 'investment' in a a commercial venture is too low a price .. No word of how 'fancy' you can get w/ such 'investments' such that it benefits mainly you and not others.. 10 minimum wage jobs ??? Further, Especially given that not only does the investor but their "family" gets to permanent residency... Hardly what I call a great benefit .. Think long term medical costs/etc in retirement. A million dollar 'investment' is peanuts.

Exploit people in your home country.. skew trade .. and then come and pay your way to the front of the line. . From the looks of it, the bay area is in no shortage of cash ... There is more than enough capital going around funding things that are in no way innovative and only serve to further exploit the lessor intelligent in the country and make them further unproductive : social networking run a muck and games .. games and more games .. big data which aims to collect terabytes of information on people (they don't get a cent for it) and sell it for billions marketing companies so they can more intelligently exploit people even more.

One thing is for sure.. the housing market is red hot and like Vancouver .. unbounded hot inflows of foreign money only serve to destroy the quality of life for the middle class and 'normal' people. As you say nullgeo .. They can have the bay. I whole-fully agree .. and have no desire to live in a horrible school district in hot inland California.... and No, i'm not paying $700k for some shack whereby I can get a fully featured home for less than a down payment on a home here.

I would prefer living around multi-generation Americans any day somewhere else at normal middle class costs ... Too much immigration causes problems when there isn't a critical/diverse amount of Multi-generational Americans to trigger Assimilation .. Therein you have problems in the work place w/ discrimination .. Corruption.. and all sorts of social foolishness due to there not being a need to assimilate and adjust to normal American practices .... As a multi-generation American .. you start to feel like you are in someone else's country.... God forbid you're one of the races they ignorantly think are beneath them...

^ This first video is no diff. than the bay area.. People try to act like their careers are soo important to them and they are single by choice.. Reality is, there are soo many people grinding their faces on the ground working 12 hours a day and married to their careers due to COL that relationships come last by consequence.. Marriage later.. and kids later .. If you're fine w/ that, your lifestyle being heavily impacted by the region's cost of living... Go for it .. The bay is a beautiful place. If not, there's tons of land all over America.. stop engaging in herd mentality and spread out ...

If you don't get it .. Don't know what to say ... Make the best of it and fight it out w/ millions from overseas that didn't work in the local economy like a slave to afford the 'inflated' assets. I've lived in many other beautiful places in the U.S .. If a market is skewed due to idiocy, I have no intention to remain there and fight it out like the rest of people.. Best to just pack up and leave and enjoy life elsewhere.. I've chosen to leave and my QOL will be drastically better as a result.. Let em have the bay ! Part of the reason SanFrancisco is losing its quirky luster is because all of the middle and lower income people that made it interesting are being ran out by all the hot money from southbay flowing to where 'cool' is at.. meanwhile, their very actions are destroying what made the city attractive in the first place... Yay, I live next to a boring person who exploited people back in his home country.. Color me unexcited... Would rather be around e a diversity of middle class folks from many different walks of life any day... The spice of life as it were...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-08-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Nothing but good for America.. Laughable.. $1 million 'investment' in a a commercial venture is too low a price .. No word of how 'fancy' you can get w/ such 'investments' such that it benefits mainly you and not others.. 10 minimum wage jobs ??? Further, Especially given that not only does the investor but their "family" gets to permanent residency... Hardly what I call a great benefit .. Think long term medical costs/etc in retirement. A million dollar 'investment' is peanuts.

Exploit people in your home country.. skew trade .. and then come and pay your way to the front of the line. . From the looks of it, the bay area is in no shortage of cash ... There is more than enough capital going around funding things that are in no way innovative and only serve to further exploit the lessor intelligent in the country and make them further unproductive : social networking run a muck and games .. games and more games .. big data which aims to collect terabytes of information on people (they don't get a cent for it) and sell it for billions marketing companies so they can more intelligently exploit people even more.

One thing is for sure.. the housing market is red hot and like Vancouver .. unbounded hot inflows of foreign money only serve to destroy the quality of life for the middle class and 'normal' people. As you say nullgeo .. They can have the bay. I whole-fully agree .. and have no desire to live in a horrible school district in hot inland California.... and No, i'm not paying $700k for some shack whereby I can get a fully featured home for less than a down payment on a home here.

I would prefer living around multi-generation Americans any day somewhere else at normal middle class costs ... Too much immigration causes problems when there isn't a critical/diverse amount of Multi-generational Americans to trigger Assimilation .. Therein you have problems in the work place w/ discrimination .. Corruption.. and all sorts of social foolishness due to there not being a need to assimilate and adjust to normal American practices .... As a multi-generation American .. you start to feel like you are in someone else's country.... God forbid you're one of the races they ignorantly think are beneath them...

^ This first video is no diff. than the bay area.. People try to act like their careers are soo important to them and they are single by choice.. Reality is, there are soo many people grinding their faces on the ground working 12 hours a day and married to their careers due to COL that relationships come last by consequence.. Marriage later.. and kids later .. If you're fine w/ that, your lifestyle being heavily impacted by the region's cost of living... Go for it .. The bay is a beautiful place. If not, there's tons of land all over America.. stop engaging in herd mentality and spread out ...

If you don't get it .. Don't know what to say ... I've lived in many other beautiful places in the U.S .. If a market is skewed due to idiocy, I have no intention to remain there and fight it out like the rest of people.. Best to just pack up and leave and enjoy life elsewhere.. I've chosen to leave and my QOL will be drastically better as a result.. Let em have the bay !
When are you moving, anyway? You've been talking about this for awhile now.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
That's the idea. Sell America one lot at a time.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When are you moving, anyway? You've been talking about this for awhile now.
Go read some of my past posts.. Before the end of the year. I've mentioned it several times (the date)... Yet, you've been asking me over and over again for a while now. Have any other comments about the topic ? Or the many other things in my post or is your sole focus on my move? ..

Try commenting on the videos I posted.. try commenting on how older adults are giving advice for their kids to locate elsewhere.. about the middle class getting crushed by the cost of the bay.. about delaying families due to costs..

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-08-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM

When you are leaving is of considerably greater concern to many here than the Chinese arriving ... but, of course, the larger question is: when you finally do go, will you continue to post your obnoxious dissertations ridiculing California from whatever wonderland you move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California