Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times

Advertisements

The plan seems to involve greatly reducing benefits after 2-years in the program (currently its up to 4 years) and reducing benefits to children with ineligible parents....which seems code for "illegal parents".

The cuts seem too broad, though 2-years is good for most, some may need more time. Also, seems like the support should be bettered tied to actually making progress....

California pushing more welfare recipients to work - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
That's racist!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:05 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
It seems like you don't want welfare recipients to work. You want them taking more of your tax dollars? Ever been to the hood? A majority of people there are on welfare but yet have the latest Nikes and Jordans and gold watches and have expensive cars. Yeah. All from your tax dollars funding their lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Will, it does spell it out:

The state has traditionally held a relatively generous attitude toward welfare. For instance, CalWORKs gives cash grants to children even when their parents are ineligible for benefits for various reasons, such as being illegal immigrants, receiving disability, or failing to abide by the program's rules. Only three other states — Indiana, Oregon and Arizona — have such an expansive policy.

If there are indeed 3 million in CA I would think the number of kids they have had (and qualify for hte program) would be a pretty big number. If you think about it, the only reason the kid would or wouldn't qualify for it is their gps location. I just don't agree with the fact that a woman can have an American kid by crawling a hundred yards across the border then giving birth.

Personally I think Brown is doing the right thing. I also believe they have a pretty good idea how many are abusing these programs but as Politicians are too chicken to tackle them.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 06-11-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Ever been to the hood? A majority of people there are on welfare but yet have the latest Nikes and Jordans and gold watches and have expensive cars.
Yes, I've been to numerous "hoods" and rarely do you see people with the "latest nikes, etc". They are poor, dirt poor. Furthermore, even the current program cuts you off after 4-years so its impossible for the "majority" of people in the hood to be on welfare. They've got 4 years tops...the proposed changes would reduce it to 2-years.

Why would I not want people to work? Makes no sense....

Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, I've been to numerous "hoods" and rarely do you see people with the "latest nikes, etc". They are poor, dirt poor. Furthermore, even the current program cuts you off after 4-years so its impossible for the "majority" of people in the hood to be on welfare. They've got 4 years tops...the proposed changes would reduce it to 2-years.
Oh give me a break. Are you seriously trying to sit up here and tell me you don't see a majority of people in the hood with the lastest new gear and gold watches? That's ALL you see in the hood. Ever seen a hood music video? Their always stunting rolls of cash (that's probably drug money) and their gold and shiny rims and all that crap. I'm not trying to start an argument but if you can't see that, I'm not even going to waste my time. It's painfully obvious to most people.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Oh give me a break. Are you seriously trying to sit up here and tell me you don't see a majority of people in the hood with the lastest new gear and gold watches? That's ALL you see in the hood. Ever seen a hood music video?
Yes that's what I'm telling you....and if you actually visit these areas instead of watching music videos you'll quickly find that its true. Welfare payments aren't large, they don't even provide enough to live on....let alone enough to purchase the "latest new gear". And let's just ignore the fact that the vast majority of the money goes to children and mothers....not young males.

But yes, don't waste your time, but perhaps you should stay in Fort Lauderdale? I mean, if you come to California you're just going to get taxed to death to pay for all this new gear and gold watches...for drug dealers in the hood. Did you know that Jerry Brown is straight out of Compton....?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Oh give me a break. Are you seriously trying to sit up here and tell me you don't see a majority of people in the hood with the lastest new gear and gold watches? That's ALL you see in the hood. Ever seen a hood music video? Their always stunting rolls of cash (that's probably drug money) and their gold and shiny rims and all that crap. I'm not trying to start an argument but if you can't see that, I'm not even going to waste my time. It's painfully obvious to most people.
Because MTV music videos are an accurate documentary of "hood life"

Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
the sooner the welfare recipients are forced to work, the better they will feel about themselves. Of course we will always have people who will depend on asistance and some absolutely have no choice, but 75% need to find a way to help themselves. How do you teach your family the importance of working for what you get if you are sitting around doing nothing?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because MTV music videos are an accurate documentary of "hood life"
Um, I've lived in the hood before. Check my profile. I've lived ALL around and hoods are the same EVERYWHERE. And I never ONCE mentioned MTV music videos. YOU did. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about real "hood" music videos. MTV doesn't play "hood" videos. "Hood" videos are music videos produced in the hood by local urban rappers for about $3-5000 tops and they sell them in bootleg dvds and albums and put them on black websites to advertise. If you go to worldstarhiphop.com, then you'll see what a "hood" music video is. I know what the hell I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California