Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But in California, today's joke becomes tomorrow's possibility and next week's reality.

No, it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
I drove lifted Jeep wrangler few times and it wasn't a pleasant experience going above 50mph. It's maybe because I'm used to driving my modified Z32TT
Nice I've always loved the Z32's, one of the best designs from the best era of Japanese sports cars!

I'm used to my S2000 and while I like trucks and Jeeps, I do NOT feel comfortable in a lifted ZJ on swampers at freeway speeds because I'm used to cars that move rather than jiggle. It's sort of like the difference between a chick that you meet at the gym, and a chick that you meet at Hometown Buffet.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's sort of like the difference between a chick that you meet at the gym, and a chick that you meet at Hometown Buffet.
An excellent analogy. It is true that a sporty car will travel down a washboard gravel road much faster than a Jeep will, for a while, till the transmission pan or oil pan gets ripped out (seen that). It is also true that a Jeep is designed for a specific task, and the sporty car just cannot do that task.

That said, I am annoyed by Chrysler evolving the Wrangler into just another SUV, that is a sin.

What a Jeep does well, note the tight right turn, and consequence awaiting someone you misjudges that turn.

Back to that initial turn, obviously taking the turn wide will take you off the road and give you a three hundred foot roll down, but also, turning a hair to tight runs your right front wheel up onto Chicken Rock which then turns the jeep over and gives you a three hundred foot roll down. Last vehicle to do that was a forerunner I recollect, two years ago. Darned helicopter had a hard time winching the stretcher out that canyon

Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
I'm surprised nobody's introduced a bill that makes it illegal to drive my TJ with the doors off.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the bill. Lifted jeeps are usually driven by right winger types. Why would Waxman et. al. want to prevent their demise?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-07-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm surprised nobody's introduced a bill that makes it illegal to drive my TJ with the doors off.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the bill. Lifted jeeps are usually driven by right winger types. Why would Waxman et. al. want to prevent their demise?
They might take out a Prius in the process.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Thinning of the herd....

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Owned several jeeps and a couple more in the family...

Never had any issues... could be because all were basically stock.

Neighbor bought a brand new F150 for his 17 year old son...

Very nice 4x4. Kid didn't have the truck a week till he started the mods... lift kit, tires, rims, fender flares... etc.

Sold the stock tires and rims for next to nothing to another neighbor.

Anyway... started to have shakes and shimmy when at highway speed... took the truck to the Dealer and the Dealer refused to even look at it because it was modified...

The Father and Son bad mouthed the Dealer and Ford and said they will never buy another Ford...

The point is... they created their own problem... not the Dealer or Ford.

Kid rolled the truck later that year traversing a hillside.

I've also got a Suzuki Samurai and it has been one tough rugged little 4x4 and I run stock rims and tire size.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Don't these people have anything better to worry about, like, perhaps, out-of-control national debt and deficit spending?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
While we're at it: Please protect me from my monster truck! It wobbles! O ... M ... G! /sarc

Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Owned several jeeps and a couple more in the family...

Never had any issues... could be because all were basically stock.

Neighbor bought a brand new F150 for his 17 year old son...

Very nice 4x4. Kid didn't have the truck a week till he started the mods... lift kit, tires, rims, fender flares... etc.

Sold the stock tires and rims for next to nothing to another neighbor.

Anyway... started to have shakes and shimmy when at highway speed... took the truck to the Dealer and the Dealer refused to even look at it because it was modified...

The Father and Son bad mouthed the Dealer and Ford and said they will never buy another Ford...

The point is... they created their own problem... not the Dealer or Ford.

Kid rolled the truck later that year traversing a hillside.

I've also got a Suzuki Samurai and it has been one tough rugged little 4x4 and I run stock rims and tire size.
Raising a truck or jeep is usually a silly idea, the differentials are still going to hit rocks. The side hill rollover problem is serious, which is why you seldom see those jacked up rigs ( we call them Bako trucks) off road, and the pretty colors they paint the suspension members and differentials seldom have any dirt on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: