Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times

Advertisements

The legal concept of Jury Nullification Shall be a lawful and legally accepted option available to all California empaneled juries for purposes of deliberation. Further ALL juries SHALL be informed of this option upon receiving final instructions

I have always enjoyed studying the US Constitution, and upon discovering the concept of jury nullification and how important it's application was to the founding fathers, then the disappointment of it's systematic demise in the 1880's, I thought of how it could of benefit in states where the size of government is out of control. California once utilized this concept, but is one of the few states whose Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional (IIEC, 5 states require that juries be allowed the option to practice nullification by constitution).

Please discuss. I will try, after work to provide links to source material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:59 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Need more info to give input, though sounds interesting.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
The law is on trial just as much as the defendant.

Paraphrasing a Supreme Court justice who's name I cannot remember.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
The legal concept of Jury Nullification Shall be a lawful and legally accepted option available to all California empaneled juries for purposes of deliberation. Further ALL juries SHALL be informed of this option upon receiving final instructions

I have always enjoyed studying the US Constitution, and upon discovering the concept of jury nullification and how important it's application was to the founding fathers, then the disappointment of it's systematic demise in the 1880's, I thought of how it could of benefit in states where the size of government is out of control. California once utilized this concept, but is one of the few states whose Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional (IIEC, 5 states require that juries be allowed the option to practice nullification by constitution).

Please discuss. I will try, after work to provide links to source material.
A complicated subject, but ultimately, we are a nation ruled by laws, and I am not keen on people being allowed to ignore those laws when it suits them.

The legislature is elected, the D.A is elected, and the Sheriff is elected. I think that is enough, if society has a problem with a law, they have recourse.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I can understand its demise. In this day-and-age I think it would fly in the face of the equal protection clause. Juries in significantly liberal areas would likely have more of a tendency to apply it than juries in conservative areas. Simplistically, coastal and metropolitan juries would favor it over inland, more rural areas. That could lead a lot of defendants petitioning to have their trials moved to, say, San Francisco. Of course, I suppose the opposite might hold sway in areas with extremely anti-government sentiments. Also, the people have the right to make or break statutes through the proposition/initiative process. Therefore, juries need only be "finders of fact."

Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I can understand its demise. In this day-and-age I think it would fly in the face of the equal protection clause. Juries in significantly liberal areas would likely have more of a tendency to apply it than juries in conservative areas. Simplistically, coastal and metropolitan juries would favor it over inland, more rural areas. That could lead a lot of defendants petitioning to have their trials moved to, say, San Francisco. Of course, I suppose the opposite might hold sway in areas with extremely anti-government sentiments. Also, the people have the right to make or break statutes through the proposition/initiative process. Therefore, juries need only be "finders of fact."
I'm pretty sure those lynchings in the south were in conservative areas.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
I have another idea. Just four little words: Ban paid signature gathering.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
I'm pretty sure those lynchings in the south were in conservative areas.
Apropos of what? I was talking now, not 60 to 80 years ago.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Apropos of what? I was talking now, not 60 to 80 years ago.
Yes, but your statement is an opinion, whereas I cited conservatives actually disregarding the law and legal process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I have another idea. Just four little words: Ban paid signature gathering.
Amen, the proposition system is ruining the state (or at least playing a large role in the ruination of this state).

Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, but your statement is an opinion, whereas I cited conservatives actually disregarding the law and legal process.
Rather non sequiter but I'm not going to argue with you. You enjoy it too much.

Quote:
Amen, the proposition system is ruining the state (or at least playing a large role in the ruination of this state).
That you and I can agree upon. Having worked in the state political system I've been saying the same thing for years. The unfunded mandates and bad statutes propositions have spawned have not served the state well at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: