Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 AM

30 posts, read 86,714 times

Advertisements

I have a young family and moved to SLO a few years ago. We are very happy with the move. The positives outweigh the negatives by far in our view. You asked for some negatives:

SLO is pretty small, say in comparison to the Bay Area or SoCal, so if that is what you are used to, be prepared for less entertainment opportunities. That doesnt bother us, because of all the outdoor opportunities of the area.

Other posters have mentioned the lack of diversity. SLO can feel a bit like living in an isolated bubble, albeit a pleasant one.

The town would be boring without the university, but all the student houses in the neighborhoods can create conflicts from time to time.

The SLO Coastal school district is very good. It gets extra $ from the Diablo power plant for some reason, which helps protect it from cuts. There have still been cuts recently, but less than elsewhere. A nice aspect is you can send your children to any school in the district, so if you don't like your local elementary, or have a particular preference, you have that option. There is only one middle school and one highschool in SLO and we are not at that point yet so I don't have much to say there, but the reputations are not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I grew up nearby SLO and lived there until 2 years ago. We moved to northern san diego county. Why?

We were bored.

The area felt too isolated and we grew tired of having to drive to santa barbara to shop and to LAX/San Jose to fly.

Also the demographics skew toward retirement age folk (with the exception of the college kids), and being in my 30's I didn't fit in in with either group. Most time when I took my wife out for dinner, we were the youngest people in the restaurant by 30 years.

So, we moved to Carlsbad. And we love it! We live 4 miles from the ocean (can see it from our backyard), and being 40 miles away from san diego proper, we don't have bad traffic and other "big city" problems. Yet we are close enough to go to a Charger or Padres game, getting to the airport is easy, and we have serious shopping/dining/entertainment and cultural events. This is what cosmopolitan living is about ("the city" should look up the definition of cosmopolitan). Plus I enjoy the warmer weather, no wind, and warmer ocean temps. i went boggie-boarding with my daughter last weekend here in the ocean. That would have never happened at Avila or Pismo Beach... water too cold!

Don't get me wrong... SLO is a great town, and we still visit often. It just wasn't for us.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Santa Maria expanded their run-way, so that it's the largest run-way and soon to be largest airport between San Jose and LAX. You can get to Hawaii from Santa Maria. Also, SLO has a small airport that will take you to Denver and Salt Lake City and to SF or LA.

Again, I don't see a problem with the shopping in SLO. Macy's, Sear's, Kohl's, and some higher end speciality stores downtown and along with the big box store basics like Target and Costco.

Why would you need to drive to Santa Barbara for shopping?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
One word: Nordstrom

If you want to dress like you shop at Sears, that's your business. The only thing I buy at Sears are tools.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Santa Maria expanded their run-way, so that it's the largest run-way and soon to be largest airport between San Jose and LAX. You can get to Hawaii from Santa Maria. Also, SLO has a small airport that will take you to Denver and Salt Lake City and to SF or LA.

Again, I don't see a problem with the shopping in SLO. Macy's, Sear's, Kohl's, and some higher end speciality stores downtown and along with the big box store basics like Target and Costco.

No, KSBP airport only has flights going to and from SF, LAX and Phoenix, they don't have any flights going to SLC or Denver unless you charter a flight. They are thinking about adding Denver to their list...but so far it's a no go.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM

168 posts, read 554,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

There is no Macy's in the San Luis, and some people don't prefer to shop there. Sorry, we all can't look like we have hand me downs from the mid 90's, especially at Kohl's and Sears. Seriously U19, gotta get calm your hard on over the retail stuff. Chilliax and take zanax already.

As for Axxlord, sorry to hear your experience. Maybe it is just me, but we are a couple in our early 30's and late 20's and we do just fine with friends. Yes, the demo its a lot of retirees and college aged early 20 somethings, however there are plenty of families that we know and hangout with. Making friends has been much easier here than in the other place i used to live in the valley. It is all about putting yourself out there.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
There is no Macy's in the San Luis, and some people don't prefer to shop there. Sorry, we all can't look like we have hand me downs from the mid 90's, especially at Kohl's and Sears. Seriously U19, gotta get calm your hard on over the retail stuff. Chilliax and take zanax already.

As for Axxlord, sorry to hear your experience. Maybe it is just me, but we are a couple in our early 30's and late 20's and we do just fine with friends. Yes, the demo its a lot of retirees and college aged early 20 somethings, however there are plenty of families that we know and hangout with. Making friends has been much easier here than in the other place i used to live in the valley. It is all about putting yourself out there.
Macy's is coming. I have confirmation and I can not say much more. I expect there to be a public announcement this year. That is all I can say.

Every Macy's is different by the way. A Macy's in SLO is going to be different than a Macy's in Hawaii vs. a Macy's in Montana. I'm guessing this Macy's will reflect the young, outdoorsy Central Coast culture. I'd also guess the SLO Macy's will carry some designer clothing lines because there are people here who would buy designer clothing.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, KSBP airport only has flights going to and from SF, LAX and Phoenix, they don't have any flights going to SLC or Denver unless you charter a flight. They are thinking about adding Denver to their list...but so far it's a no go.
I had hoped the Denver flight would go through for the SLO airport. I guess not.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM

16 posts, read 66,845 times
Default Thanks for all the responses...

I'm the thread starter. Thank you so much for all your comments. They really help.

We already received one private "Direct Message" re the following. (Thanks to that sender.) But we are interested in hearing from others re your thoughts about the following:

We have always visited SLO in the summer, when a lot of the college kids are gone. The ones we have encountered have been fine, but I'm guessing the numbers of college-age kids downtown is dramatically greater when school is in session??? (Just a guess, maybe I'm wrong.)

My question is: On a weekend night during the school year can you go downtown with a wife and young daughter, and have a pleasant meal, or see a movie, without being bothered by college kids. We don't mind crowds, we just dont like unruly crowds. We don't go to bars very often --- I'm just wondering about restaurants, the theater, shops, or the sidewalk downtown. (We plan on living within a half mile of downtown.)

Thanks for any comments you can offer,
jg9999.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 PM

168 posts, read 554,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg9999 View Post
We have always visited SLO in the summer, when a lot of the college kids are gone. The ones we have encountered have been fine, but I'm guessing the numbers of college-age kids downtown is dramatically greater when school is in session??? (Just a guess, maybe I'm wrong.)

My question is: On a weekend night during the school year can you go downtown with a wife and young daughter, and have a pleasant meal, or see a movie, without being bothered by college kids. We don't mind crowds, we just dont like unruly crowds. We don't go to bars very often --- I'm just wondering about restaurants, the theater, shops, or the sidewalk downtown. (We plan on living within a half mile of downtown.) .
They are everywhere, but yes there numbers are lower. I live about 8 blocks from the downtown core in the historic mill street neighborhood. Our street has emptied out like usual. Yes, you can take your kids out to the restaurant, shops, etc downtown. Just avoid key "holidays" like Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, Cinco De Mayo, and you should do fine. Also avoiding restaurants near campus helps out a lot.

Honestly, the students are pretty respectful when dinning out. We have a 2 year old and 6 year old, and they always are friendly to our kids. For movies, obviously just don't do the later showings like 9 or after, and generally goes for dinning as well.

As for "children friendly" restaurants, they are slim pickings in the Downtown. Habit Burger, Woodstock's, Firestone, Mo's, Yannagi's, Thai Palace, Eureka, Petra/the other middle eastern place, Donkey Cafe and CPK and the vegan place are as about kid friendly as you can get.

A couple quick glances usually helps out those students that are super unruly at tables after a few beers, and finally we have on only a few instances, actually said something. Typically we ask to drop the "f-bombs" for a little bit. They typically understand. If you want to PM I can provide a little bit more info.

Housing is tough in the downtown. Most rental homes are pretty rundown that are affordable. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California