Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
What makes it good? It honestly just looks like a regular CAFO feed lot cut of beef which is absolutely nothing special though it can be tasty. Do they at least cold cellar age the steaks? Personally, my gold standard for a steak house is the grass fed, grain finished dry aged wagu ribeye from Peter Luger's in NYC.
What makes it the best? Jocko's and red oak. Now, Jocko's steaks are the best in the world, but, my ribs are better than Jocko's. Which makes them the best ribs in the world, Jocko's being second best.

I barbecue on an 80 year old brick barbecue built by my Grandfather, and I burn, red oak.

What does Peter Lugers burn to make their steaks? Gas?

Anyone who barbecues on gas ain't going to heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Pork ribs = sauce

Beef ribs = no sauce
Pork ribs (spare ribs) no sauce, beef ribs, not done. Sauce hides flavor and is only for those who need their sugar rush. No sauce on no meat no time no way.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
OK..
List noted for verification...

Best in the world is a pretty tall order.... I will admit I am sceptical... Having, sampled some of the finest steaks from coast to coast.. I WILL try Joko's ..

Me, a strip steak kind of guy... Cowboy cut with the bone in and about 3 inches thick... Real simple, not much in the way of seasoning on it.. A bone in Rib eye is my #2..
Ribeye is called a Spencer around here. salt pepper and garlic, although I use a secret seasoning sold out of the trunk of a car on the dark of the moon.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I do import a special bbq sauce from Denver but that's for tritip.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What does Jacks burn to make their steaks, the secret to Jockos is red oak.
No red oak in California correct?

So I should bring a semi load or two with me??

Don't want CD folks peeling up my quartersawn red oak flooring too cook on....lol....

I heat mostly with red oak, cook on the coals too... Good stuff..

Nothing like a good brick BBQ set up... Might as well through those charcoal briquettes in the same category as gas. Yep, to cook on real wood is the only way to go.... Especially when you have mountains of scrap laying around all the time.....

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 09-18-2012 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
What makes it good? It honestly just looks like a regular CAFO feed lot cut of beef which is absolutely nothing special though it can be tasty. Do they at least cold cellar age the steaks? Personally, my gold standard for a steak house is the grass fed, grain finished dry aged wagu ribeye from Peter Luger's in NYC.
Yep 100% with you on the CAFO stuff.... Though done right at a fine steak house.... I will not refuse it!!!

Grass fed, finished on barley is quite tasty... While, 100% grass fed (Only thing we eat at home) is not so good for steaks, but is wonderful thin sliced and flash fried in a smoking hot pan... Drop it in 15 sec, stir it once and get it out.....

Short and fast or long and slow on the 100% grass fed stuff.... flavor can not be beat though...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I do import a special bbq sauce from Denver but that's for tritip.
My father and his fellow Santa Maria barbecuers developed the Tri Tip, in Santa Maria, of course, the very heart of barbecue. No sauce, no meat, no time no way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
No red oak in California correct?

Quote:
Quercus agrifolia, the Coast Live Oak, is an evergreen oak (highly variable and often shrubby), native to the California Floristic Province. It grows west of the Sierra Nevada from Mendocino County, California, south to northern Baja California in Mexico. It is classified in the red oak section (Quercus sect. Lobatae).
So I should bring a semi load or two with me??

Don't want CD folks peeling up my quartersawn red oak flooring too cook on....lol....

I heat mostly with red oak, cook on the coals too... Good stuff..

Nothing like a good brick BBQ set up... Might as well through those charcoal briquettes in the same category as gas. Yep, to cook on real wood is the only way to go.... Especially when you have mountains of scrap laying around all the time.....

Santa Maria style barbecue is the foundation of Jockos, and all the other mentioned local barbecue places, including our ranch, and all local ranches.
The Unofficial Santa Maria Style BBQ Page

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What makes it the best? Jocko's and red oak. Now, Jocko's steaks are the best in the world, but, my ribs are better than Jocko's. Which makes them the best ribs in the world, Jocko's being second best.

I barbecue on an 80 year old brick barbecue built by my Grandfather, and I burn, red oak.

What does Peter Lugers burn to make their steaks? Gas?

Anyone who barbecues on gas ain't going to heaven.

highnlite,

How do we get to your place. Of course, we're all invited. Right???

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
highnlite,

How do we get to your place. Of course, we're all invited. Right???

No problem, drive to Pismo Beach, take Hi way one south to Grand Avenue, turn right, go straight one mile, no less, and you are here.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
That steak looks yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California