Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Let them eat cake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Figures!

Sheeps are just that, sheeps.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Let them eat cake!
Beat me to it ...

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
And in California when you add in the underemployed which are only working part time, or at jobs far beneath their normal jobs trying to put food on the table after unemployment runs out it is almost 1/3rd of the work force unemployed, given up hope, or underemployed.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And in California when you add in the underemployed which are only working part time, or at jobs far beneath their normal jobs trying to put food on the table after unemployment runs out it is almost 1/3rd of the work force unemployed, given up hope, or underemployed.
Same is true everywhere ... More meaningless specious alarmism about California being the world's new dead zone.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
From this article explaining the U-6 unemployment figures generated by the federal government.

If California's real unemployment rate is 20.3 percent, the interior must be several points higher.

For the record, young homeless and semi-destitute men in Chico are more visible every day. It looked much different one year ago.
This doesn't really say much. If CA's "real" unemployment rate is higher than the "official" rate, then the same is true for all the other states.

And if the interior is much higher, that just means the exterior is much lower.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Same is true everywhere ... More meaningless specious alarmism about California being the world's new dead zone.
For one of the first times I must disagree with you at least partly. While CA isn't the dead zone many desperately want us to believe, unemployment here has been a problem. We are or were second in the nation with unemployment. With a population as large as ours, that leads to a large absolute number. Within the state I moved from a really bad job market into a better one. This was only possible because I have a support network where I moved to. For those who don't, they can't just up and move or they will join their new areas homeless. CA's economy is so large that it has the ability to kickstart a good portion of the US economy. We're not a dead zone but it is a big deal to a degree.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
For one of the first times I must disagree with you at least partly. While CA isn't the dead zone many desperately want us to believe, unemployment here has been a problem. We are or were second in the nation with unemployment. With a population as large as ours, that leads to a large absolute number. Within the state I moved from a really bad job market into a better one. This was only possible because I have a support network where I moved to. For those who don't, they can't just up and move or they will join their new areas homeless. CA's economy is so large that it has the ability to kickstart a good portion of the US economy. We're not a dead zone but it is a big deal to a degree.
I'm not sure we are understanding each other here. I was responding to a comment that said:

taking factors into account such as underemployment and people who have given up looking for work and those who have decided to become stay-at-home moms and dads, the government's statistic for unemployment is too low -- the real number is higher.

The poster had cited this as if unique to California. The poster is on a perpetual campaign to prove that California is on a different and more fatal course than every other state. My response was that the same factors exist everywhere. California unemployment is not secretly higher than its cited statistic -- where other states' are not. All places have the same issue of people who have quit looking for work and those who have decided to stay home, etc. Thus the percentages are relational across the country. California is not the only state with those same realities.

Where California's unemployment is cited at 10.6% -- but the poster says it is really over 20% ...
I am saying that where Pennsylvania is cited as 8.1% -- it is likewise really over 16% for the same reasons.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
The federal government has the unemployment rate for each state (U3 rate) , but they also have the U6 rate which is the combined unemployment rate, and underemployment rate.

California U6 is 31.4% second to only Nevada. On the other hand, the North Dakota U6 rate is 6.1%.

For a list of 10 worst U6 states, see the slide show at Underemployment: 10 States Where Underemployment Is Highest

The national U6 rate is 14.9%, less than half of the California rate.

To get California back to a good economy they not only have to solve the (U3) unemployment rate, but they have to solve the U6 rate. Until they do the economy will limp along, and the tax revenues needed to run the state and cities will be way too low. Due to the sheer number of people in California, it will be a lot harder to solve the U6 rate and take more time than in many states.

Durring the great Depression of the 1930s they did not separate into two classes including the U6 rate. The 25% unemployment rate of the Depression at its peak, is similar to the states with high U6 rates today. In fact, California U6 rate is above 25%.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The federal government has the unemployment rate for each state (U3 rate) , but they also have the U6 rate which is the combined unemployment rate, and underemployment rate.

California U6 is 31.4% second to only Nevada. On the other hand, the North Dakota U6 rate is 6.1%.

For a list of 10 worst U6 states, see the slide show at Underemployment: 10 States Where Underemployment Is Highest

The national U6 rate is 14.9%, less than half of the California rate.

To get California back to a good economy they not only have to solve the (U3) unemployment rate, but they have to solve the U6 rate. Until they do the economy will limp along, and the tax revenues needed to run the state and cities will be way too low. Due to the sheer number of people in California, it will be a lot harder to solve the U6 rate and take more time than in many states.

Durring the great Depression of the 1930s they did not separate into two classes including the U6 rate. The 25% unemployment rate of the Depression at its peak, is similar to the states with high U6 rates today. In fact, California U6 rate is above 25%.
Good information. Now everyone who is unhappy in California knows they can go improve their life in North Dakota. I endorse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California