Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which is nice if you can get into one of them. Maybe I'm wrong but they seem to be catering to out of state students who have to pay more tuition. Then it's a matter of getting the classes you need. I'm glad I'm not a student in this day and age.
Out of the @80,000 freshmen admitted to the UC system this year, @60,000 are CA residents. That doesn't seem out of whack with most state schools. At Cal it's 9,300 out of 13,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
ha, and i'm a spoiled socal native that left because of the boring old weather, day in, day out....last time shopping for christmas presents in shorts did me in! we have lived in 3 different states since moving from san diego, missouri, georgia and now virginia....all of them have had "mild-ish" winters, nothing like the north, but we do get a little snow which is fun...we get huge thunderstorms with even tornado warnings here and there...we even had an earthquake (i know, not weather related but anyway...) last year...i was sitting here thinking "wow, that really felt like an earthquake, but no way"! ha, until my neighbor, also a california native called me to ask if i felt it haha...it was all the rage around here anyways, no, i don't think weather is the top reason to stay there, unless of course i was from a super snowy state or place, yuck!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
'Scuse me ... but the traffic jams in Seattle and Portland are very much similar to those in California ... in fact, Seattle is rated by some surveys as the city in which commuters are stuck in traffic the most ...

As for taxes? No one in Washington or Oregon seems to be happy either. Property taxation in Washington is much higher than in California ... sales tax is nearly as high -- well over 8% up to almost 9% depending on county ... the overall tax burden difference between California and Washington and Oregon is a couple percent -- if that.

If you don't like the traffic, move to the country.
If you don't like the taxation, learn to live minimally and it won't hurt.
Same goes for anyplace.
ha, or try atlanta....crazy traffic...spaghetti junction, bleh!!....yeah, ca doesn't have the monopoly on heavy traffic

Old 10-07-2012, 03:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Out of the @80,000 freshmen admitted to the UC system this year, @60,000 are CA residents. That doesn't seem out of whack with most state schools. At Cal it's 9,300 out of 13,000.
Quite frankly, I don't think that 70-75% of the freshmen coming from California is as high as it should be. One would think that resident Californians would be the priority. I guess I'm wrong again! Surely there were at least 23,700 other California resident students who qualified and would like to have attended.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,670,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
No public libraries in southern Oregon... Any community that does not value the library system.. Gets no respect from me..

I would rather pay a few bucks a year and have libraries... For myself and the good of the community... They are a heck of alot cheaper than prisons..

The libraries are OPEN in southern Oregon...
Josephine County Online - Library Homepage

Branches Hours Contacts - Jackson County Library Services

Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,155,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
OK
I stand corrected then... Good for the people!!!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quite frankly, I don't think that 70-75% of the freshmen coming from California is as high as it should be. One would think that resident Californians would be the priority. I guess I'm wrong again! Surely there were at least 23,700 other California resident students who qualified and would like to have attended.
Hard to way whether that's the case. Under the master plan, admission to the university system is guaranteed only to the top 12.5% of CA high school graduates. A lot of those choose to go to private or out of state public schools. I doubt the other 87.5% of CA students are proficient enough to attend the UC schools.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,651,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
If Coastal California were like Houston, or if inland California were like Wisconsin, (as an example) and everything else were the same, the good (first class entertainment and culture in the major cities, the ocean, the mountains etc.) the bad, (high COL, crowded, traffic, welfare state etc. etc.) how would it affect the population? Would the good still outweigh the bad, or would people leave in droves?

As I occasionally flirt with the idea of moving out of state (although most of my family is here, and hubby has a secure job he likes, so highly doubtful) I read about all the horror stories when it comes to weather all over this country, and, never having lived in another climate full time, (I admit I'm a wimp!) it's really intimidating!

I mean, BBQ's sometimes in December, no shoveling snow or sliding around on ice...

Is our fantastic weather, especially on the coastal side, like a drug that has subdued us into shrugging our shoulders when stuck on the 405?

I realize the answer is obvious, but to what degree? Are we stoned on sunshine? :cool
Weather answer works for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM

943 posts, read 1,322,312 times
It's certainly one of the top reasons we moved to California from Montreal back in 1977. We were tired of those brutal Canadian winters. I mean, one year there was a blizzard in April.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM

192 posts, read 256,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
I understand the graphs shown. Now, it all makes sense. I arrived in Los Angeles in 1989 and left in 1996. This makes some sense because when I arrived from back east, I felt locals leaving Calif. I was asked many times why am I living in California since I was native Floridian. The general vibe at that time, a feeling of desperation in the air. Desert Storm and all that was going on. I was also poor and struggling, sleeping in my Car at times. I returned to L.A. in 2010 and upon 3 days in L.A. I was taken back by all the foreign immigrants where I used to live. It felt a United Nations summit at Starbucks in West Hills. India, Russia, Persian Jews, A lot of people from Armenia and the middle east. I felt like I was in Iran or Israel. I ever felt sad. Oh well, that's life I guess.
i was actually born in san francisco in 1990. wonder why it changed so quickly then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California