Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 AM

3,901 posts, read 4,554,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
It's certainly one of the top reasons we moved to California from Montreal back in 1977. We were tired of those brutal Canadian winters. I mean, one year there was a blizzard in April.
My mother was born and spent her early childhood in Hancock in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She and many family members were scattered around the Great Lakes areas including Chicago and Milwaukee living here and there over the years. She was the first one to move to California in the early 50's. Eventually many more family members followed. (We had a big family!)
I grew up in the hot San Fernando Valley of LA in the '60's and 70's and always heard the stories from my mom of the big snow storms "back east", and how as a young woman she dreamed of living in California. The weather always seemed to be idealized. So she packed up one day, and moved. She just loved the weather here and never hinted at moving back or anywhere else.

Funny... a few years ago my husband, son and I went on a pilgrimage to the Upper Peninsula and found it breathtaking. However, we went during the most pleasant seasons, so we didn't experience the snow or the biting bugs of spring.
It saddens me that we didn't go there before my mother passed. I would have loved to show her the pictures we took and say, "Why the heck didn't we visit there more often?"

I do remember her telling me that she and her 9 brothers and sister all had skis, and couldn't remember a time when she didn't have them from her earliest memories. Now that I know more about the Upper Peninsula, I can certainly see why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
'Scuse me ... but the traffic jams in Seattle and Portland are very much similar to those in California ... in fact, Seattle is rated by some surveys as the city in which commuters are stuck in traffic the most ...

As for taxes? No one in Washington or Oregon seems to be happy either. Property taxation in Washington is much higher than in California ... sales tax is nearly as high -- well over 8% up to almost 9% depending on county ... the overall tax burden difference between California and Washington and Oregon is a couple percent -- if that.

If you don't like the traffic, move to the country.
If you don't like the taxation, learn to live minimally and it won't hurt.
Same goes for anyplace.
I think you made some valid points. One question I have regarding taxes, though....Even if the taxes in OR or WA are almost is high, what are people getting for those taxes? In CA, we pay a lot in tax and the services we get in return are not that good. We don't have great (or even average) public schools. We have 12% of America's population but 33% of the welfare cases. Pensions are not sustainable, etc. I'm wondering....are the services people get for those taxes better in OR and WA?

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-16-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,425,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
It's jobs .. that is the number one reason... As to why certain industries are in calif., there is a long dated history. Majority of people don't live inland for obvious reasons and thus its structuring/industry has little to do w/ why people "NOW" come to calif.

As to "WHO" is coming to calif... Go straight to the data :

Yes, the data shows domestic inflows have actually been net negative since 1990 ...
"Since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through this migration."

What's filling the gap? Foreign immigration ...
Who?
Take a look at 1993 for isntance ...
http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demog...ts/FLEGPIC.PDF
Page 9 ... 50% Asian ...
Asian is a large group.. Page 11 .. biggest percentage by region .. Goes to Mexican and this is just 'legal' immigrants...

http://www.dof.ca.gov/research/demog...ts/FLEGPIC.PDF
Page 17 .. 40% plus of American's illegal immigrants live in california...
Page 18 .. Immigrants by country of origin (legal) .. predominately Mexican....

Opportunity is the #1 reason ...

Farming/Agriculture .. jobs are ever fleeting ..
In 1870, 70-80 percent of the US population was employed in agriculture. As of 2008, approximately 2-3 percent of the population is directly employed in agriculture.[6]

In 2010, there were 1,202,500 farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers and an estimated 757,900 agricultural workers were employed in the US. Animal breeders accounted for 11,500 of those workers with the rest categorized as miscellaneous agricultural workers. The median pay was $9.12 per hour or $18,970 per year.[6]

Notice I said jobs... Not size of the industry.. Mechanization and technology have been filling the gaps... with output/revenue ever increasing.

The jobs are in the valley in tech .. in L.A and there are a whole degree of industries that fan out from it...

You have though...
"Since 1990, the state has lost nearly 3.4 million residents through this migration."
and here is a detailed report...
Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

So, at present day, mainly foreign born immigrants come here for ever fleeting opportunities while, in net, domestic population is seeking out greener pastures ...

The weather is a plus and everything starts from somewhere.. The question is.. once you have built everything up off of past foundations .. are you in sustaining mode, growth, or decline.

At such price premiums, it seems the domestic American population who isn't constrained by visas or lack of comfort elsewhere in the u.s is, in resounding #'s, choosing to leave California ..

Why are there those who stay? weather, family, friends, job opportunity .. having planted their feet here when things weren't so ridiculous compared to other opportunities/places in the U.S.
As shown, immigration is also in a downhill trend. That is the beginning of a new phase. Something all the boosters cannot comprehend or accept.

Rust Belt II.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,155,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My mother was born and spent her early childhood in Hancock in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She and many family members were scattered around the Great Lakes areas including Chicago and Milwaukee living here and there over the years. She was the first one to move to California in the early 50's. Eventually many more family members followed. (We had a big family!)
I grew up in the hot San Fernando Valley of LA in the '60's and 70's and always heard the stories from my mom of the big snow storms "back east", and how as a young woman she dreamed of living in California. The weather always seemed to be idealized. So she packed up one day, and moved. She just loved the weather here and never hinted at moving back or anywhere else.

Funny... a few years ago my husband, son and I went on a pilgrimage to the Upper Peninsula and found it breathtaking. However, we went during the most pleasant seasons, so we didn't experience the snow or the biting bugs of spring.
It saddens me that we didn't go there before my mother passed. I would have loved to show her the pictures we took and say, "Why the heck didn't we visit there more often?"

I do remember her telling me that she and her 9 brothers and sister all had skis, and couldn't remember a time when she didn't have them from her earliest memories. Now that I know more about the Upper Peninsula, I can certainly see why!
The best months in the UP are August and September...

Nice story... thanks for sharing..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM

14,705 posts, read 14,680,193 times
After moving, I don't miss the weather too much, though there is something to be said for 60-degree weather in December, but by far the best thing about California is the quality of food and drink. You can't find it anywhere else in the US, and probably only other Mediterranean-climate areas on the world like Southern Europe and Chile/Argentina.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 AM

3,901 posts, read 4,554,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
After moving, I don't miss the weather too much, though there is something to be said for 60-degree weather in December, but by far the best thing about California is the quality of food and drink. You can't find it anywhere else in the US, and probably only other Mediterranean-climate areas on the world like Southern Europe and Chile/Argentina.
I hear that a lot. Hubby's from England, and you should see what they call a "salad bar".
BTW, hubby's dad in England had a job in a banana factory as a Banana Ripener! Yup, that was his job.

Here's to California produce and avocados! :-)

Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,439,174 times
I am anxious to get out of this Florida weather. While weather isn't my top reason for moving, it's certainly the part I'm looking forward to the most. And would make me think twice about relocating out of California in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California