Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM

471 posts, read 600,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Having moved to CA from NV, and owning property in Nevada the tax difference is not noticeable. If anyone thinks the high desert of CA is comparable to Nevada, they have not been to Nevada. Nevada has about 300 mountain ranges. I can take you to a plateau, 10-11,000 feet in elevation, with aspen forests, trout streams and elk herds. In a completely different part of Nevada there is this compare this tour to the desert of CA.

On July 15, one year, I found a still frozen lake in Nevada.

How does this view compare to the California desert?,
I fail to see the hardship. I doubt seriously that schools anywhere are better than our local schools.

How in the world does ones location offer a "vastly superior standard of living" over another, and what constitutes a "vastly superior standard of living"?
You only further prove my point, outside of the coastal enclave, what does CA have to offer that can't be obtained much cheaper in other states.

What a hoot, no difference in taxes, uh yea, 10% compared to 0%, you are funny. I think that is a difference, but if you have little income, maybe not so much. But then, you gladly pay taxes on a $60M+ Ag empire. I forgot, landed gentry such as yourself doesn't worry about petty things like taxes.

Now, on standard of living, I'm comparing where the family I am referring to moved to in Highlands Ranch, CO. One only has to look at sites like greatschools to see that in HR you have schools with Free and Reduced lunch at less than 2% and homes half the cost of trashy areas of SoCal. Incomes in HR beat out most cities in CA and has a near non existent crime rate. In fact, Douglas County CO is the only county that is in the top ten highest income counties not in the WashNYLA area. A plus is the cost of living in Douglas County is less than half, with one of the lowest poverty rates in the country and highest levels of college educated adults.

Best places for a long life - 11. Douglas County, CO (11) - Money Magazine

America's Leading Creative Class Counties - The Atlantic

Clean, safe, low cost of living, high wages, good economy, great schools, modern infrastructure, extremely high levels of educational attainment, extremely low poverty, low rate of obesity compared to the rest of the US, high community participation, the list goes on and on. Yea, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that is what I would certainly call a vastly superior standard of living. But I know, things like that really irk some.

Douglas County Poverty report

Sure, its not Newport, but certainly better for most families and accessible to many more Americans, I think that is a good thing.

Kids Thrive in Douglas County -Douglas County, No. 1 on the overall list of child well-being, also had the lowest percentage of children living in poverty in the US: 3.8 percent, based on 2010 census figures.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 01-03-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
You only further prove my point, outside of the coastal enclave, what does CA have to offer that can't be obtained much cheaper in other states.

Ok, don't buy farmland in California, buy some in Nevada, it is cheaper, see how you do. Now, again, you seem to be late to the dance. I have no problem with any state west of the 100th meridian, aside from perhaps Arizona, the meth lab of Democracy.

What a hoot, no difference in taxes, uh yea, 10% compared to 0%, you are funny. I think that is a difference, but if you have little income, maybe not so much.

Tax Freedom day in Nevada is April 18. In California it is April 20. that is a difference of 1/182.5, not much of a difference

But then, you gladly pay taxes on a $60M+ Ag empire. I forgot, landed gentry such as yourself doesn't worry about petty things like taxes.

I have never stated I pay those taxes, and it is important to note what I have stated many times, We live on our retirement pensions and our hobby jobs, I run equipment, but never enough to interfere with my hobbies, I do not receive a penny from the farming operations, do try and keep up.

Now, on standard of living, I'm comparing where the family I am referring to moved to in Highlands Ranch, CO. One only has to look at sites like greatschools to see that in HR you have schools with Free and Reduced lunch at less than 2% and homes half the cost of trashy areas of SoCal. Incomes in HR beat out most cities in CA and has a near non existent crime rate. In fact, Douglas County CO is the only county that is in the top ten highest income counties not in the WashNYLA area. A plus is the cost of living in Douglas County is less than half, with one of the lowest poverty rates in the country and highest levels of college educated adults.

Free and reduced lunch is meaningless, quality teaching reaches all income levels, So Cal is not just trashy, it is Mordor, something else I have stated many times. No reasonable person should live there. Do try and keep up.

Clean, safe, low cost of living, high wages, good economy, great schools, modern infrastructure, extremely high levels of educational attainment, extremely low poverty, low rate of obesity compared to the rest of the US, high community participation, the list goes on and on. Yea, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but that is what I would certainly call a vastly superior standard of living. But I know, things like that really irk some.

Those things are fairly meaningless. wages and prices generally follow a ratio. Clean and safe describes most desirable places in CA. people east of California get fatter and fatter as one moves east, rates of smoking increases also. A vastly superior standard of living is 9 dollar bales of hay, like Nevada. Perception is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

Sure, its not Newport, but certainly better for most families and accessible to many more Americans, I think that is a good thing.

Newport is a Navy base in Rhode Island, not the greatest place I ever lived.

Kids Thrive in Douglas County -Douglas County, No. 1 on the overall list of child well-being, also had the lowest percentage of children living in poverty in the US: 3.8 percent, based on 2010 census figures.

Poverty is also irrelevant as are statistics like you state. Parenting is what is important, and that can happen with any demographic.

In my perception standard of living is directly associated with geography. A reasonable person selects geography over all other criteria.
You are in Douglas County Colorado. Part of the East Slope Megaslobopolis. John Denver wrecked Colorado. It used to be a great state. Just look at this; Between 2000 and 2010 the population of the county increased 62.4%, which made it the fastest growing county in Colorado and the 16th fastest growing county in the US. That makes it a Hellhole right there, one might as well live in Las Vegas NV.

Douglas County has a population density of 209 persons per square mile

Compare that to the county we will relocate to once our duties are done here, Lander County Nevada with a population density of 1 person per square mile, now, for a man, that equates to an excellent standard of living, closest supermarket is over 100 miles away.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM

471 posts, read 600,957 times
Quote:
You are in Douglas County Colorado. Part of the East Slope Megaslobopolis. John Denver wrecked Colorado. It used to be a great state. Just look at this; Between 2000 and 2010 the population of the county increased 62.4%, which made it the fastest growing county in Colorado and the 16th fastest growing county in the US. That makes it a Hellhole right there, one might as well live in Las Vegas NV.

Douglas County has a population density of 209 persons per square mile

Compare that to the county we will relocate to once our duties are done here, Lander County Nevada with a population density of 1 person per square mile, now, for a man, that equates to an excellent standard of living, closest supermarket is over 100 miles away.

Most of your post was incoherent, and you clearly didn't read anything I wrote, I live in Newport Coast, CA. I am measuring Douglas County, specifically Highlands Ranch against what I've seen in SoCal. Not everyone can afford Newport Beach, and it is especially out of reach for most families. However, places like Douglas County, and HR are by most measures probably one of the best places to live in the United States. That isn't just my word, but for the criteria I outlined, it is tops. You obviously know nothing about the place and are just posting incoherent rants or you wouldn't have said what you said.

BTW you DID claim you pay over $600,000 in property taxes alone and aren't complaining.

You either lie or are another predictable seminar poster on CD, maybe both. However, numerous posters have called you out on your numerous contradictions.

Quote:
Someone missed out on studying percentages in math I suspect.

Look kiddo, as I have stated before, we pay over $600,000 per year in property tax alone, and you don't hear me whining.
My point is that companies ARE moving jobs to places like Texas, the greater Denver Metro (there's a reason why Douglas County is growing and wages are so high) because that is where the educated young families are moving to because they DO care about the things I outlined. CA is becoming more and more just the super wealthy, the poor that serve them, a few entrenched incumbents, and fantasy land barons such as yourself. Not a strong mix for a powerful and vibrant middle class going forward in the future.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 01-04-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times
Quote:

Yep you are bailing out of CA too.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM

I have never stated that California is my preferred state, it is by my ranking, the third best state.
It is not that I am a defender of California as the whiners believe, it is that I cannot stand intellectual or factual nonsense.

We moved back to California for a specific purpose. I "bailed" out of California 43 years ago. I have been bistatual ever since.

I am not about to spend another cold winter, we will be in Nevada when there is no snow on the ground.

We will keep our home here, and at that time of summers in Nevada if I am still alive, I will own control and profit from a thousand acres of irrigated crop land, it would be rather pointless to give up the benefits of California.

So, actually at that time my economic interest in California will be substantially higher than it is now, and substantially higher than in Nevada. However, from our ranch in Nevada I can ride hundreds of miles in any direction without running across a fence, or more than two paved roads, I consider that open space is what makes live good, that my friend is a very high standard of living, and freedom.

You have heard me say many times that vast amounts of public land are what makes a place worth living
Nevada has 57 million acres of public land 81% of the state.
California has 42 million acres of public land, 42% of the state
Tennessee has 2.8 million acres of public land 10% of the state.

Chew on those figures.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Most of your post was incoherent, and you clearly didn't read anything I wrote, I live in Newport Coast, CA. I am measuring Douglas County, specifically Highlands Ranch against what I've seen in SoCal. Not everyone can afford Newport Beach, and it is especially out of reach for most families. However, places like Douglas County, and HR are by most measures probably one of the best places to live in the United States. That isn't just my word, but for the criteria I outlined, it is tops. You obviously know nothing about the place and are just posting incoherent rants or you wouldn't have said what you said.

BTW you DID claim you pay over $600,000 in property taxes alone and aren't complaining.

You either lie or are another predictable seminar poster on CD, maybe both. However, numerous posters have called you out on your numerous contradictions.

My point is that companies ARE moving jobs to places like Texas, the greater Denver Metro (there's a reason why Douglas County is growing and wages are so high) because that is where the educated young families are moving to because they DO care about the things I outlined. CA is becoming more and more just the super wealthy, the poor that serve them, a few entrenched incumbents, and fantasy land barons such as yourself. Not a strong mix for a powerful and vibrant middle class going forward in the future.
Wow talk about incoherent posts...
What is the point some two bit boom town is doing well this week... LOL
Fact is your trickle down unregulated crap does not work in a mature economy.... Endless growth is not sustainable... Time to wake up... You can not grow your way out of all problems... Yes the concentration of wealth is a problem... This is why we have government, to balance and redistribute this wealth to keep the nation strong and balanced....

Highnlight is not lying or whatever... He states the facts and represents old California land wealth. It is not his fault he was born into it, and I admire his attitude and level of responsibility for the citizenry of his community, his counties, and the state and nation for that matter. His family manages the land in a way which retains the very essence of what makes California such a bucolic and desirable place for so many to enjoy.... Without land holders such as his family we would not have such beauty and wealth as a state.

We would have some ugly freaking cheap sub division tract you so highly regard... Crap that will be worthless in a decade, like every other tract of cheaply built mc mansions....

Instead Highnlight by default preserves the beauty, the productivity and the pride of some of the best agricultural land on planet earth.....

Those that are responsible for the food that feeds the world deserve some respect! City boy GoldenZephyr without highnlight you do not eat...therefor you die... Or in your greed for paper money and material possessions have you forgot the basics that someone has to grow the food you eat...

I know the person Highnlight, he is about as simple common every day person you could meet, no ego no I am better than you attitude...

Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM

Dang True, thank you for that. To add a point, all of the family land will go into Conservation easements, so that they can never be developed. Have you selected your land and location?

Quote:
However, numerous posters have called you out on your numerous contradictions.
Perhaps I missed those call outs, I have seen error filled posts that show some prefer belief to fact, but. I am happy to set folks straight, they need only ask.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 AM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets Get Real. California is 4th from the the bottom, when you adjust the incomes for cost of living. In other words when you adjust the incomes to determine true buying power, California is not really much different than so many others, and certainly far from the best .
Nobody said California is perfect and it certainly has its share of problems. Does California have poor families? Nobody would doubt it. With 40 million people and growing you'll have a lion's share of people living in poverty along with a huge middle and upper class. With an economy of this magnitude (7th largest in the world) the state rightfully should be compared to other nations and not these little pee wee states that you tend to do.

Oldtrader, I had exposed you for your ineptitude at mathematical analysis and super biased point-of-views. You claimed CA is losing net population thru migration. Which I pointed out is BS. You constantly throw stats around that have absolutely no merit such CA companies moving out on a daily basis yet you cant show proof with facts. Only biased opinions and editorials that never tell the whole story.

I suggest you stop ruining your credibility (which has been zilch for a while now) and try another hobby besides California hating. Since its 20 degrees out where you are may I recommend knitting? Or basket weaving.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Or turning up the heat.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Oldtrader, I had exposed you for your ineptitude at mathematical analysis and super biased point-of-views. You claimed CA is losing net population thru migration. Which I pointed out is BS. You constantly throw stats around that have absolutely no merit such CA companies moving out on a daily basis yet you cant show proof with facts. Only biased opinions and editorials that never tell the whole story.
I can show you many sources, but this has more information than most.

Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look

Look at table #1 to see the exact number of out migration exceeding the in migration to the state for the past few years to see that more people are moving from the state than into it.

Then look at table #5 to see where they are going to from California and to California, with the number of people and the effects in money involved.

Charts 7 and 8, will show you the states most effected, and the net outflow to those states.

Go to Table 5 to see what parts of the state of California that are effected by outflow and inflow.

Go to Table 6 to find the net change to and from different states to California, and the net figure by total and part of California they went to and from. Just 3 states, Arizona, Texas and Nevada, saw over 665,000 more people go to those 3 states than left for California.

Can California end flight of wealth? | california, people, state - Opinion - The Orange County Register

And many other newspaper and magazine articles available that say that people are fleeing California.

Businesses fleeing Ca

Try this article, but especially listen to the newscast video at the bottom. The man Joe Vranich being interviewed is the #1 business consultant in the U.S. to assist companies all over the country to move to new locations. He has written an interesting book on this subject and it has been praised by business experts. The video is one of the best examples of what is going on.

It shows 254 companies left California in 2011 which is 4.9 in an average week. He says some figures show it several times that. Over the past few years it averaged 1 business a week left, and had built up considerably higher by 2011. The figures for 2012 will not be out for a while but are higher as the number of companies leaving or moving out about everything but their headquarters in California is accelerating.

Record Number Of Businesses Leaving California Thanks To The Democrats (Video)

2011 total: 254 companies leave California | moved, companie - Business - The Orange County Register

A great article why companies are leaving California

http://tinyurl.com/b4cxxxz

The truth is there, you however don't want to accept the truth.

I have had good university courses in economics, and understand how to follow what is really happening in the country. I even taught business at the college level years ago, but did not stay as I could make so much more money in the private sector. I managed good size businesses in California. I left the corporate world where I was division sales manager for a major corporation covering everything west of the Mississippi river except California and Hawaii to enter the real estate industry. I spend 30 years as a commercial real estate broker till I retired, and have sold and bought different businesses for clients, and have owned businesses myself in more than 1 state.

There is my background in the business world, what is yours.

I follow what is going on in the business world, for entertainment. I know what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California