Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 PM

412 posts, read 1,152,992 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer North California as I grew up there. Cleaner air and more trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:03 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, you've really been to the wrong beaches. I've never seen anything like this. Strange how you have a knack for finding nothing but the negative in people, beaches, etc. I guess it's a good thing you moved away.
I am not making anything up. The bay water is filthy and so is the water around golden gate bridge and SF coast all the way to Pacifica. If you walk along Embarcadero and pay close attention to the water you will notice how dirty the bay is. Do you know how many storm drains go through Ocean beach, fort funston, baker beach? Also the treated sewage water is dumped there I think.

But more than anything the water is full of algae and not clear and not pleasant to look at.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
By the way, I happen to be in St. Helena at the moment, playing Northern California's trump card-- the most valuable per-acre agricultural land in the world, producing the finest wines found anywhere.

Oh, and there's an embarrassment of riches in restaurants from Santa Rosa to Petaluma, to Napa and Calistoga , and all in between. I had Cindy Pawlcyn's rabbit tostada and some amazing baked local oysters today for lunch, with a fantastic Viognier, produced by hand on the hillside a few miles away, to wash it down. We then went on to some private, guided tastings of the most amazing wines you could imagine at a couple of different vineyards.

Seriously. This is all happening about 55 minutes from my apartment, which is in one of the most vibrant neighborhoods of one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. I woke up this morning, threw some clothes in a bag, drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and was immediately in another world of 78-degree sunshine, mountain vistas, wine, food, art and people enjoying the laid-back splendor of it all on charming town squares and picturesque winery estates.

So, please don't quote population statistics, square mileage, beach temperatures, or number of skyscrapers in the skyline. I am not even interested in foreign carriers at the airport or Michelin stars hanging in the windows of restaurants. We are well represented with all of that in Northern California, sure, but its not what makes people risk everything to try to make it here. This place is simply unparalleled in the world. It is different here. I believe that if Northern California doesn't stir something within you, you have a lot to learn about living.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
By the way, I happen to be in St. Helena at the moment, playing Northern California's trump card-- the most valuable per-acre agricultural land in the world, producing the finest wines found anywhere.

Oh, and there's an embarrassment of riches in restaurants from Santa Rosa to Petaluma, to Napa and Calistoga , and all in between. I had Cindy Pawlcyn's rabbit tostada and some amazing baked local oysters today for lunch, with a fantastic Viognier, produced by hand on the hillside a few miles away, to wash it down. We then went on to some private, guided tastings of the most amazing wines you could imagine at a couple of different vineyards.

Seriously. This is all happening about 55 minutes from my apartment, which is in one of the most vibrant neighborhoods of one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. I woke up this morning, threw some clothes in a bag, drove across the Golden Gate Bridge and was immediately in another world of 78-degree sunshine, mountain vistas, wine, food, art and people enjoying the laid-back splendor of it all on charming town squares and picturesque winery estates.

So, please don't quote population statistics, square mileage, beach temperatures, or number of skyscrapers in the skyline. I am not even interested in foreign carriers at the airport or Michelin stars hanging in the windows of restaurants. We are well represented with all of that in Northern California, sure, but its not what makes people risk everything to try to make it here. This place is simply unparalleled in the world. It is different here. I believe that if Northern California doesn't stir something within you, you have a lot to learn about living.
Dal, you should write a book. Really. Or start a column, like Caen's. The Chron could use a writer like you.

Really.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:
I've made a temporary detour to NM, and it's killing me. In fact, I've started migrating to the coast for summers, because I can't stand the heat here.
I guess I thought because the overall elevation of NM is higher the heat would not be so bad, combined with the dry air.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I guess I thought because the overall elevation of NM is higher the heat would not be so bad, combined with the dry air.
The temps have gone up about 10 degrees since the late 90's. Last year was the worst. We had temps over 100 degrees for about 2 weeks in Santa Fe, which is unheard of.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Dal, you should write a book. Really. Or start a column, like Caen's. The Chron could use a writer like you.

Really.
Nice of you to say. That's a dream I may pursue one day. For now, I'm happy writing stuff that convinces people to buy things. It has gotten me this far...

Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Great lifestyle for alcoholics and people who can't cook. FYI, those kind of outings are possible just about anywhere in the US but it's just different in different parts of the cou try. Are you suggesting that LA lacks options for good day trips? Do you think Santa Barbara area doesn't have good wineries? Or are you only happy when stuck in the middle of a tourist trap?

So cal has all of those with good weather, lower cost and much nicer people in general.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
which is in one of the most vibrant neighborhoods of one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.
SF is not even the most cosmoplitan part of bay area, let alone CA or the world. South bay is a lot more international. Compared to LA, SF is a provincial town overloaded with yuppies and hipsters and few good chinese restaurants to brag about.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post

So cal has all of those with good weather, lower cost and much nicer people in general.
Andy, your attitude is sour enough to turn Tinkerbell and Snow White against you. Our weather suits us, your welcome to the SoCal weather. Win-win. The End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California