Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,502,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
THERE (not "their") are one Indian and two Thai restaurants. No "middle eastern". You might want to work on your written English if you're going to be seeking employment here.
There is a middle eastern resaurant in Valley West in Arcata that specializes in lamb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
You have never had a there/their/they're typo? Never? I was checking Yelp and it appears there is a Greek/Mediterranean place in Arcata called the Kebab Cafe.
Thats it, and they are good too. I never have a there, their or they're moment, but I am a proofreader on the side for a friend.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
interesting. also slo has the 1 which takes u to morro bay and to monterey and up.

who are the largest employers in eureka?
Costco, Walmart and Target, all are large businesses.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM

604 posts, read 1,302,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Thats it, and they are good too. I never have a there, their or they're moment, but I am a proofreader on the side for a friend.
How are you on that's?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM

212 posts, read 427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierravillian View Post
And what gives with the commie Red Star Macy's uses as their logo.
Actually not commie in the least. Macy family is Quaker, going waaaaay back before the whaling days of Nantucket Island, MA. Young Macy decided to voyage on a whaler, and ended up south of the equator in New Zealand area, whereupon he asked for and received a red star tattoo (which I guess was the requisite thing to do for southern hemispheric whalers).

Macy's was a small town general store in Nantucket as its origin.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,561,986 times
Don't forget the shortage of doctors up in far northern California! Something to consider as you make choices.

I realize this article is from 1993, but the main points are still valid.

Health Horizons : MEDICINE : Rural Medical Delivery : Lack of a general hospital, shortage of doctors makes it difficult for the poor in redwood country to receive adequate care. One physician goes on the road to treat people. - Los Angeles Times

Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Don't forget the shortage of doctors up in far northern California! Something to consider as you make choices.

Health Horizons : MEDICINE : Rural Medical Delivery : Lack of a general hospital, shortage of doctors makes it difficult for the poor in redwood country to receive adequate care. One physician goes on the road to treat people. - Los Angeles Times
Decidedly an issue for seniors and anyone thinking of retiring in the area.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,772,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Decidedly an issue for seniors and anyone thinking of retiring in the area.
that article is old. eureka has 27,000 population now and probably another 23,000 population in a 15 mile radius. I'm sure it's gotten better, but probably still not as good as a more urbanized area.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,856,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
that article is old. eureka has 27,000 population now and probably another 23,000 population in a 15 mile radius. I'm sure it's gotten better, but probably still not as good as a more urbanized area.
If one is going for rural, one must expect to be far from many, more 'urban' amenities, like big fancy hospitals.

Folks out in the sticks often employ more "creative" forms of medicine when needed.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

What? We have St. Josephs hospital in Eureka and it is a good hospital. We also have Mad River hospital in Arcata. I believe there is also a hospital in Fortuna. Rural Humboldt is pretty big and Southern Humboldt is so far from Eureka and Humboldt bay, that they may as well be another county, but there is a small hospital in Garberville. But there is no lack of doctors or hospital care here in the Humboldt bay region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California