Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
There are road crews that will help you, Calinsight. There's usually a large sign and area where you can chain up. Local business will have people out there who will put them on for you, for a fee. You might want to pick up a set of chains now and practice putting them on before you leave. You can do it in your driveway. It's not difficult. Get yourself prepared before you leave.
One other thing to note. Presuming the general route is I-94, I-80. I-80 crosses a number of passes. The first serious summit is where it crosses the Divide Basin in WY. There is a town there called "Little America" and there is a reason it's called that. I've had snow there in the middle of Summer. Then after that, you have the Wasatch Summit, and then the multitude coming through NV. So having one's own chains is a really good idea if towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 19,775 times
Why Chains in CA. Lots of easterners question why chains are required on CA roads. "we don't use them at home" The answer is, the temperature of the snow. A tire does not slide on snow or ice, it slides on a microscopic film of water caused by the heat/pressure of the tire against the the snow. The colder the snow, the less likely the melt. California snow is typically warm, just below the freezing temp 0-2 degrees. Snow in the East is usually colder, that film of water does not form. Hence, little need for chains.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 PM

35 posts, read 56,918 times
BayAreaHillbilly, we can take either I-94 or south US-31 then pick-up I-80 W in IN. Taking notes. So either summer or winter driving we still need chains driving through some west states. HereOnMars, yes they will help you for a fee. I never seen chains before, only on tv , Ice truckers! Good idea. Thanks guys.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM

T Roosevelt, first I thought because it's more mountainous in Ca and more flat in the midwest and other eastern states and chains aren't in use. We put snow tries in all our cars but sometimes they don't work. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,842 times
I find watching videos of roads I'm going to travel helps with that "fear of the unknown" factor. There are tons of videos on YouTube now of drives all over the country.

Here are two - the first from Reno to Truckee and the second from Truckee west:

I-80 Reno/Truckee - Sierras Pt. 1 - YouTube

I-80 Truckee/Donner Summit - Sierras Pt. 2 - YouTube

Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Now that's what we're talking about. Nice ones, C2.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinsight View Post
T Roosevelt, first I thought because it's more mountainous in Ca and more flat in the midwest and other eastern states and chains aren't in use. We put snow tries in all our cars but sometimes they don't work. Thanks.
It's not flatter where I live. Many of our roads are much steeper than the roads in the mountains of California. It is interesting that chains are needed here and not out east. When I spent the winter in Vermont's ski region, I did just fine with all weather tires. I didn't even need snow tires there.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM

C2ShiningC, seen them on You Tube. It seems a really nice drive up there. Drove through upper state of NY, Maine, and other states coming from Canada. It was a pleasant drive. I just remember my sister and I did a three week vacation and we drove to Yosemite Park, Kings Canyon and Sequoia Park. Phoenix to Grand Canyon and stopped in Sedona (curvy here) and Flagstaff. Coming back from Vegas to SD. We drove very carefully. Least of my favorite is driving to SF traffic-wise crossing Bay Bridge and Golden Gate. Thanks everyone.

It's a beautiful drive. Thanks.

Last edited by Calinsight; 06-04-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM

211 posts, read 333,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not flatter where I live. Many of our roads are much steeper than the roads in the mountains of California. It is interesting that chains are needed here and not out east. When I spent the winter in Vermont's ski region, I did just fine with all weather tires. I didn't even need snow tires there.
You can try that in CA, someone has to keep the tow truck operators busy.

Regarding assistance with installing chains on the roadway. Chain Monkeys do that, it isn't cheap and they are not allowed to sell you chains (last time I checked) A truck will be more expensive than a car. And don't fool with anything but link chains. don't use any of the fancy crap stores will try to sell you. if you have a rental vehicle tell the rental company you want chains.

Use the chain monkeys. most people who put on their own chains have no idea how to do it correctly.

And make sure that if you do use chains their insurance will cover any damage. Chains break, or are installed incorrectly and damage the vehicle on occasion. A rental company may hold you liable for damage.

Quote:
Many of our roads are much steeper than the roads in the mountains of California.
This statement of course, cannot be supported, there are steep roads in Vermont, and many other states, including California.

During winter you will see Pusher trucks on I 80, their job is to push chained trucks up the hill, as the trucks will go until it is so steep that their chained wheels simply spin. Now, is I 80 particularly steep? No, but it is steep enough in places that trucks may need to be pushed up the grade.

The Reno to Truckee video was a portion of my daily commute for many years, beats the hell out of crawling along on some Los Angeles Freeway.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Hi guys, talked to an agent from the rental truck company and found out that the tires of my vehicle won't fit to the trailer or whatever it is that hold the tires secure. So, I guess we have to drive two vehicles and have to stop often to rest. Called Two Men...and curious how much would it cost to unload, transport and unload again to final destination, 9k-10k Same guys will handle and drive our stuff. The moving company quoted half of that. So driving a rental truck is still the way to go. Thank you all for good suggestions. Truly appreciates them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California