Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,826,704 times

Advertisements

Try checking out compliance postions within the insurance industry and/or trading houses. There are internal "policing" jobs in an effort to keep staff in compliance with applicable regulations. Trading houses often hire and train so maybe some opportunities there. You will also find these types of positons in the healthcare field too but those usually do require specific skills. You can also look into other insurance jobs with insurance brokers and companies as well. Many companies are always hiring claims trainees which tells you something about that type of position but it gets you in the door. Not glamorous, or popular but many will hire and train so again, take a look. BTW Nully offers great thoughts as always!

Last edited by Social Democrat; 07-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: added text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,894 times
We're screwed, because every generation practices the good old practice of buck passing. I'm going to give the Greatest Generation a pass because, well, they are dying out, and they literally are the greatest generation (you try growing up during a depression and fighting in WWII).

The Boomers have the "we got mine, yall can't get yours, haha" mentality. No need to rehash it here, just do a google search for the many ways the Boomers have screwed up this country.

Gen X just doesn't seem to give a crap.

And the millenials (of which I am a part of I guess) would do well by stopping the incessant whining. Who gives a flying f if the boomers paid 10% of what we did in tuition, found good blue collar jobs, have pensions, whatever. That's the past. Complaining and whining about it isn't going to do us any good. Nobody forced anyone to go to college and/or grad school and rack up a mountain of debt (yet everyday I see some article online about some millenial complaining about their student loans). And yes, working for a living sucks. Welcome to the real world.

So no, the Millenials don't have it the hardest, no more than Boomers have it the easiest. Every single generation has a unique set of obstacles and challenges. Whining about it won't help anything.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
We're screwed, because every generation practices the good old practice of buck passing. I'm going to give the Greatest Generation a pass because, well, they are dying out, and they literally are the greatest generation (you try growing up during a depression and fighting in WWII).

The Boomers have the "we got mine, yall can't get yours, haha" mentality. No need to rehash it here, just do a google search for the many ways the Boomers have screwed up this country.

Gen X just doesn't seem to give a crap.

And the millenials (of which I am a part of I guess) would do well by stopping the incessant whining. Who gives a flying f if the boomers paid 10% of what we did in tuition, found good blue collar jobs, have pensions, whatever. That's the past. Complaining and whining about it isn't going to do us any good. Nobody forced anyone to go to college and/or grad school and rack up a mountain of debt (yet everyday I see some article online about some millenial complaining about their student loans). And yes, working for a living sucks. Welcome to the real world.

So no, the Millenials don't have it the hardest, no more than Boomers have it the easiest. Every single generation has a unique set of obstacles and challenges. Whining about it won't help anything.
Well with that attitude, you will make it far. I wouldn't say we don't give a crap though. That's just our version of lack of patients. I completely agree with you on the boomers though.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well with that attitude, you will make it far. I wouldn't say we don't give a crap though. That's just our version of lack of patients. I completely agree with you on the boomers though.
I agree with countofmc, actually. Yes, the boomers have the "all mine" attitude, but as a millennial myself, I do get tired of the whining by our generation. The attitudes and personalities of people in our society altogether are becoming more self-serving and narcissistic, but I think even more noticeably so with the millennials despite a frustrating economic climate.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I agree with countofmc, actually. Yes, the boomers have the "all mine" attitude, but as a millennial myself, I do get tired of the whining by our generation. The attitudes and personalities of people in our society altogether are becoming more self-serving and narcissistic, but I think even more noticeably so with the millennials despite a frustrating economic climate.
What confuses me about our generation is that we can't seem to marshal ourselves politically. Say what you will about the Boomers, but they did affect a ton of political change.

We already outnumber Boomers allegedly. And supposedly we helped get Obama elected twice because of our internet savvy.

Yet we don't seem to be able to throw our considerable heft around on issues that probably matter to a vast majority of millenials - like tuition/ student loans. Maybe we lack the wealth, maybe it's not our time yet. No idea.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic with my first sentence actually. I really do agree.

We Gen X'ers did our share of whining too.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
Quote:
What confuses me about our generation is that we can't seem to marshal ourselves politically. Say what you will about the Boomers, but they did affect a ton of political change.

We already outnumber Boomers allegedly. And supposedly we helped get Obama elected twice because of our internet savvy.

Yet we don't seem to be able to throw our considerable heft around on issues that probably matter to a vast majority of millenials - like tuition/ student loans. Maybe we lack the wealth, maybe it's not our time yet. No idea.
Or maybe you're just clueless like most of humanity has always been ... maybe it just doesn't have a damn thing to do with "Boomers", "GenX", "Millenials", etc. ... or even the "Greatest Generation" ... maybe every generation just deals with what's on its plate. So sorry to hear you're suffering. So happy I never had to since having it all handed to me ...

Old 07-15-2013, 02:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,985,158 times
I get tired of sweeping generalizations about hundreds of millions of people based solely on when they were born, no matter when they were born.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I get tired of sweeping generalizations about hundreds of millions of people based solely on when they were born, no matter when they were born.
How about astrology?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Yes, keep in mind that the average boomer has something like $25-50k saved for retirement and they're around 60 years old. You millenials may be struggling in a mountain of debt, but at least you have time on your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California