Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you were a terrorist trying to get into the US, and you knew you could get a legal ID in CA, where would you go? It scares me.
I agree with this. Issues like this is when I part ways with other liberals. This makes no sense to me at all. I cannot go into Mexico or Canada under the same circumstances and get a legal ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Wow, some serious overreactions to this post.

Can we stop calling them "illegals"? They are people and you need to stop dehumanizing them. An "illegal" is not a thing.
Calling someone an "illegal" does not dehumanize them any more than calling me a "citizen" does.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,303 times
Regarding the legislation, anything that encourages people to (continue to) break the law is clearly a terrible idea on its face. Why anyone would support this (other than the politicians who are clearly just supporting it to get votes) is beyond me.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Yeah, because there are millions of terrorists running around the United States, so we should base our laws on the fear of them.

Illegals are a part of our community for the foreseeable future. Since they do drive around every day, I'd rather they have licenses and insurance for when they get into accidents. Better to bring them into the system than pretend they aren't there.
No one said there were millions of terrorist. It only takes a few like in 9/11. Now, such types could blend in even easier. So rather than enforce the law, we reward the violation of one law by granting legal access to a legal ID?

Before some of you invariably start playing the race card, let me remind you that there are those in the country illegally who don't look like the people your knee-jerk reactions might make you defend. A DL gives you a mailing address and by extension, residency. CA is now perhaps the only place in the world where an undocumented person can establish residency legally by being illegal.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
This way the state will know where all of the "illegals" live. And this is a bad thing because...?
Do you really think the state will do anything about it once they get that info?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
The licenses will have "Driving Priviledges Only" in large red letters (a scarlett letter, it you will), so how much of a "legal ID" they will be remains to be seen. Terroists don't need to mess with the new licenses as most likely they gets theirs by other means - why would they announce their location to the govt???
The 9/11 terrorist did just that. We knew where they lived, what flight schools they attended and when. The thing about them is, we don't know they're dangerous until it's too late.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
Calling someone an "illegal" does not dehumanize them any more than calling me a "citizen" does.
Many people intend calling people "illegals" to be derogatory. I don't think anyone would call you a "citizen" and expect it to have a bad connotation. By that logic, calling someone a jerk has no meaning because it's just a word like all other words.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Wow, some serious overreactions to this post.

Can we stop calling them "illegals"? They are people and you need to stop dehumanizing them. An "illegal" is not a thing.
It's short for "illegal immigrant".
Quote:
illegal immigrant n. an alien (non-citizen) who has entered the United States without government permission or stayed beyond the termination date of a visa. (See: alien)
<a href="http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/illegal+immigrant">illegal immigrant</a>
Quote:
llegal immigration refers to the migration of people across national borders in a way that violates the immigration laws of the destined country.
Illegal immigration is overwhelmingly upward, from a poorer to a richer country,
Are you sure it's not a "thing"? Most of the world seems to disagree with you:

Quote:
In France, helping an illegal immigrant (providing shelter, for example) is prohibited by a law
Quote:
Since 2004, more than 400,000 illegal immigrants, almost all from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, have been expelled from Angola
Quote:
On 1 June 2013, the Migration Amendment (Reform of Employer Sanctions) Act 2013 commenced. This new law puts the onus on businesses to ensure that their employees maintain the necessary work entitlements in Australia. This new Employer Sanctions legislation also enabled the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship to levy infringement notices against businesses
If you want to know what can happen in a country that gets strained when it takes a soft stand on this issue
Quote:
Illegal immigrants in Brazil enjoy the same legal privileges as native Brazilians regarding access to social services such as public education and the Brazilian public healthcare system.
...and look at the condition that country has been in.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Many people intend calling people "illegals" to be derogatory. I don't think anyone would call you a "citizen" and expect it to have a bad connotation. By that logic, calling someone a jerk has no meaning because it's just a word like all other words.
If someone does not want to be called an illegal, then they should not put themselves in a situation that would grant them that title. I don't want to be called a murderer, so I am not going to do anything that would warrant such a title. Simple.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The 9/11 terrorist did just that. We knew where they lived, what flight schools they attended and when. The thing about them is, we don't know they're dangerous until it's too late.
Good point as always, Gentoo. It remains to be seen how far a CA DL marked "Driving Priviledges Only" will go, will take awhile for the jury to come in on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California