Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times

Advertisements

I'm confused, you started this thread talking about "having friends" who want to move to SoCal, but it sounds like you are speaking about yourself...Honestly, I really don't get why you would want to move and take on such a daunting task as to move to California without really knowing anything about the state. One trip isn't going to be able to cover all the areas you are talking about. Personally, I'd forget about Riverside, it's very landlocked and you are used to be around water and it's not the safest place to live.

California has very high taxes and you would need to take that into serious consideration since you have your own business. It is not very small business friendly. As you know, Florida you pay no state taxes.
And traffic here is heavy most of the time everywhere. I live in a coastal suburb of San Diego, and it's bumper to bumper just to go out and do errands. If you are a cardiac patient, can you even visit higher elevations? And, yes, I am trying to talk you out of this. If you lived in a terrible place, I might feel differently but there are plenty of really nice places in Florida. Of all the suggestions, the only ones I like are Orange County and Fallbrook, stay the heck out of LA (sorry for those here that are passionate about LA) but from the posts I don't think these folks, at 60 years of age and in bad health, are ready for LA. I hope you will really, really think about what a move to California involves. Many people who are retirement age are fleeing California because the COL is so high. Sorry if I came on too strong, but your posts really concerned me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Well I just endured 3 minutes of "gangs of Moreno valley" on youtube.

Watched it before I saw your post loveautumn.

Funny thing about where we all live. My oldest and dearest friend is in ft Lauderdale and is in stage 4 prostate cancer which has spread now to his bones, brain and neck. He's not going to see another holiday season. I really am not posting this to take this thread anywhere but on information seeking for relocation but now that you have made such a passionate reply to NOT do this..........my friend was always a big man. A huge man compared to me, I always will remember him at 280-300lbs. In the last year or so he's dropped to 170lbs and told me that if it wasn't for the cannabis he gets periodically from friends as he has no career left and his wife needs to get ready to support 2 kids alone soon....he would already be in a home for the assisted living or in a hospital. They have him on the fentaly and 200mg's of oxycodone a day and he swears that the only thing that helps him eat and sleep is the cannabis. Some may not believe that but in my own personal health experience if it wasn't for cannabis I would be on at least Triple the amount of pain meds I have to take and anyone with long term inoperable chronic pain can tell you these meds will kill you from the inside out. Cannabis has enabled me to cope a little better, show up in my office and while not as productive as I was when I was not in constant pain, I produce enough to get buy and my wife and I have saved, certainly by the living standards of south florida enough to retire nicely in a boca raton type atmosphere which is where I moved away from when I moved out of the country years ago and then upon returning went to the west coast of fla. My own connection friend of 65 years old passed away in Miami and I don't know anyone else. We have built a good business that can easily sustain our savings and lifestyle although it would be chipped away a bit by a move to socal as we were not planning on that.

Perhaps even bigger of a concern is how the dry heat would effect a guy with advanced osteoporosis ( seems like it's becoming everywhere, every damn joint etc ). Someone suggested that I might be in a lot more pain with the dryness cponsidering the lack of cartilage I have left in my spine ( from lower to cervical with a bunch of bone spurs ).

So thank you for your , care and consideration. Not many do that and believe me I appreciate it. I can't stand the thought of continuing to take on the risks in the event the south stays the south and this much needed herb stays illegal.

Now you know the reason. I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse. The thought of going to the airport at this point scares me. But what scares me more is the way it is where we are.

Last edited by MrTudo; 03-04-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
thank you for sharing your situation...pot isn't legal in California either, it was voted down, although medical MJ is, but you would have to get prescription for it. And I am all for using this stuff for real medical purposes! But obviously its use is widespread, legal or not. As far as osteoporosis and dry heat, I'm not sure but I know my bones feel better when it is warmer/hot outside. And I personally generally prefer cooler weather, so I'm always a bit in conflict about that myself. SoCal doesn't have a really dry heat like say Phoenix does, except for our desert locations, but we just don't get the humidity (and bugs) Take care of yourself.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 4,595 times
Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village fits the bill.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisancbound View Post
Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village fits the bill.
Not unless they can pay $550k-$600k at the lowest for a home.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post

Now you know the reason. I'm not getting better, I'm getting worse. The thought of going to the airport at this point scares me. But what scares me more is the way it is where we are.
Given your health concerns, are you sure you want the responsibility of caring for a single family residence? Have you considered a single level, or first floor condo in South Orange County, CA?

I would suggest Laguna Woods (retirement village), but the HOA fees are very high there. You might, if interested, look at condos in Lake Forest, Laguna Hills, Mission Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita.

Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin

Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 16,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I really want to experience in 3 hours from needing a heater to using the a/c.
You can do that in Denver without leaving home. My thermostat went on strike after one of those days. Conked out as the temperature outside was heading for the teens. It had been in the 70s. It warmed up again, and last night it snowed. Summer is wonderful. Rarely any humidity so hot days are not uncomfortable. And as soon as the sun goes down, it's cool enough for a sweater. The temperature can drop 40 degrees in an hour. It's a great place, and winters are much better than they were when I lived in New York.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Camarillo, Ca in Ventura Co. Never need a/c. Much CA produce grown nearby. Clean safe close to good medical care. all types of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California