Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:07 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty4 View Post
Southern California has been draining Northern California dry of water, with not the least bit of concern for those areas for years.

What people can’t and will never grasp in The State of Jefferson is that those major waterworks projects like Oroville and Shasta were paid for with Federal dollars. The area back in the day and now still is so economically weak, that a large slum in Bangalore probably has a higher GDP. Maybe it’s time to dismantle the Shasta and Oroville dams and we can have a better discussion about wasting water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
I support a more responsive government and I think we would be better off with something besides what we get from Sacramento...HOWEVER...I think the whole "Six state" idea is insane and completely unworkable.

If you want to break California up, just divide it into two states. Draw the line at Cambria on the coast over to Madera in the Central Valley across the Sierras to Bishop. Call the top part "Northern California" and call the bottom part "Southern California" -- just like they did when they split the Carolinas into "North" and "South" on the East Coast.

Keep Northern California's capitol in Sacramento and put Southern California's capitol in the city of Riverside -- the So Cal equivalent of Sacramento!

I guarantee you, if this were done, we would have more responsive state governments. I can tell you, right now, that Southern California would be more conservative (fiscally) and probably be a "purple" state with strong red streaks running through it. Southern California's suburbs would send more Republicans to its capitol to temper the urban Los Angeles Democrats and the state would be more moderate and business friendly.

Northern California would be a deep blue Indigo color with the only "pink" streaks coming from the rural Gold Country/Sierras and far northern inland counties. Northern California would continue to be dominated by the far-Left of the Democratic Party and be the tech powerhouse it currently is. The San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose/Mendocino Axis of power would ensure this. The Gold Country and rural counties north and east of Sacramento would grumble about this, but they'd go along with it just to be separated from Southern California.

If this ballot proposal were about creating two states, I'd support it. But six is insane! Never!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
What other state has over 155,000 square miles of land, a population density of 235.68 and 38 million people? Answer, no state comes anywhere close. The fact that much smaller states with a much smaller population like the Dakotas and the Carolinas have two states but CA is still one gigantic state is ridiculous. Should have been split at least in two many decades ago.
Provinces that separated in the 1700s does not equal a state separating in 2014. But you never finished US History in grade school, so I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:40 AM

600 posts, read 824,654 times
Will the California EBT cards need to be resigned with 6 new designs, or do you think they would keep the same existing design and logo for all of the new 6 states ?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Don't know how building five more state capitols would be cheaper than maintaining one.

Central California would become one of the poorest states in the nation. How are they going to find money to build a state capitol?

Last edited by SyraBrian; 07-18-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
How are they going to find money to build a state capitol?
They could legalize and tax meth.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:33 PM

60 posts, read 94,600 times
Actually, the people who live in Oroville and Shasta do grasp that "Federal" money paid for those waterworks projects; "Federal" money comes from tax payer dollars, and that includes taxes paid by people who live in Oroville and Shasta and other areas of the North. They don't appreciate having their areas destroyed and drained dry for the "greater good" rest of California or look forward to being the next Owens Lake and Mono Lake. It's time for the economically disadvantaged areas to take back their natural resources and restart their economies, especially since the government of the state of California isn't doing anything to take care of them.

And Central California controls your food supply. They can use that leverage to build a capitol and everything else they need.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty4 View Post
Actually, the people who live in Oroville and Shasta do grasp that "Federal" money paid for those waterworks projects.

Sadly no they don't. Why do you think the unemployment rate is very high in these areas? It's certainly not the lack of beauty, but the lack of book learning. I'm not sure what you mean buy having the areas drained, last time I checked before these waterworks projects the Sacramento and other rivers ran free. The locals always seem to think that Shasta Lake has always been there.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:45 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Provinces that separated in the 1700s does not equal a state separating in 2014. But you never finished US History in grade school, so I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
Apparently you didnt either. The Dakotas split in 1889, not the 1700s

Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Apparently you didnt either. The Dakotas split in 1889, not the 1700s
Umm, pretty obvious bpeeps was referring to the creation of states following the Revolutionary War in the 1700's. The Dakotas were a single "Territory", not a "Province", split into two states for statehood in 1889.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California