Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Delightful thoughts. Very human. Commendable.

Now then, the essential point of this whole death penalty argument, at this stage, isn't whether we should kill nasty people or not - it's whether we have the ability to determine guilt unmistakably. And until we do - and our current system of laws and justice doesn't - we have no business "ripping the arms and legs off a person and then ripping off the head."

There is NO way ordinary, knuckle headed citizens, such as most you read on this very forum (*cough cough* ^^^ ahem), should be evaluating and analyzing and judging evidence in cases of petty theft, let alone for capital murder. Nor should cops, lawyers, and judges with career and political and financial gain at stake be allowed to build and prosecute the cases.
What kind of justice would you offer the vicitims and their families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 AM

21,765 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What kind of justice would you offer the vicitims and their families?
Before any talk of justice, there needs to be a strict, ethical, logical system of determining guilt / innocence. There is no such system anywhere on the planet now. Yet it is very possible.

I am not for or against the death penalty. I am absolutely for truth in justice. We don't have it.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,861,186 times
Quote:
Before any talk of justice, there needs to be a strict, ethical, logical system of determining guilt / innocence. There is no such system anywhere on the planet now. Yet it is very possible.

I am not for or against the death penalty. I am absolutely for truth in justice. We don't have it.
We are getting further and further away from seeking justice, and simply going for the "win". For the money, for the promotions, for the power. Not for justice. Big reason why we have a general distaste for lawyers.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM

21,765 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We are getting further and further away from seeking justice, and simply going for the "win". For the money, for the promotions, for the power. Not for justice. Big reason why we have a general distaste for lawyers.
The source of one of my earlier quotes re: our system of law is not about justice, but rather finality in disputes and assignment of guilt - is from an excellent lawyer

This same attorney enthusiastically agrees with my observations of the failures of our system of law. But, he admits the very failures of which I speak, amount to "job security" for him. He is the first to say, when asked by potential clients if he can win justice for them: "How much justice can you afford to buy?"

Now, he may sound like a typical legal mercenary, of the type we non-lawyers love to lampoon, but the guy is really a bit of a Don Quixote himself, and provides tons of pro-bono services to many persons and causes. He is just a realist, like myself. He says he can't beat or alter the system he has become educated and expert in. There is no option to operate outside the system.

The entire system is a farce.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,572,419 times
Lot of spinning here. The death penalty is categorically wrong.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Quote:
The entire system is a farce.
Or, as Mr. Bumble said in Oliver Twist, "...the law is a ass—a idiot."

Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,799,906 times
I found out it takes about 600 million dollars in cost to deal with each death penalty case.

I'd say get rid of it just on the cost basis alone.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,837,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I found out it takes about 600 million dollars in cost to deal with each death penalty case.

I'd say get rid of it just on the cost basis alone.
So you want to get rid of the appeal process all together because it is expensive?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So you want to get rid of the appeal process all together because it is expensive?
I say speed up the appeal process. It should not take more than a year to complete the process.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,837,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I say speed up the appeal process. It should not take more than a year to complete the process.
I agree, though a year is a little optimistic. I would say 5 years from first found guilty to execution is reasonable and attainable if we invest into our court system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California