Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We are not talking about everyone else. Just the middle class. Not talking about other nations. The majority of which have far less than what we have. This nation of ours is the greatest of all. This is a place where people can achieve great things. Many people do leave because they can find those middle class dreams somewhere else that cost less. I don't fault people for wanting more and finding a way to get what they want out of life. I also have wants and found that I can get just what I want here on the coast. I found that it is possible to make the kind of money that I will need to reach the goals that I have.
Yeah. This is exactly what I'm laughing about. Your sense of entitlement. Hilarious. "We don't care about other people suffering due to our unsustainable lifestyle."

Quote:
We play by the rules that are offered.
"Offered"? By who? Ahahahaha! You don't care about how "the rules" affect the rest of the world - or even your own future generations.

Quote:
No one wants to say that they are of a lower class because that would mean that you have not made it in life.
So,"making it in life" is screwing the future?

Like I said: brilliant!
You have referred to your church often. And how it counsels you to live - as you express above.
Brilliant!
Religion to the rescue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
I am sure this has been beaten like a dead horse but its very expensive to live well in California. You know its an expensive when a buddy of mine who just become a Dr, I asked his why he didn't move back to California and he said its expensive to live well and raise a family in Southern California on 200k a year, that says it all. If you can't live well on 200k a year what hope would I ever have of living in LA.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. This is exactly what I'm laughing about. Your sense of entitlement. Hilarious. "We don't care about other people suffering due to our unsustainable lifestyle."

"Offered"? By who? Ahahahaha! You don't care about how "the rules" affect the rest of the world - or even your own future generations.

You have referred to your church often. And how it counsels you to live - as you express above.
Brilliant!
Religion to the rescue!
Entitlement is for those who do not work for their money. entitlement is for the poor. Why would you think that anyone is entitled to anything? I have never said that. No one has ever given me anything that I did not work for.

The rules I am talking about are what is required to make it in life.

1. Hard work.

2. Working for what you have

3. Educating yourself on how to make something of yourself.

4. Saving for the future

5. Spending less than you make

6. Prepairing yourself for the day when you can not support yourself.

7. Self reliance

Making it in life has never meant that you will ever hurt any future generations. If anything making it in life helps future generations.

My Chuch teached me to get the best education that I can. My church teaches me to live within our means. My church teaches that it is OK to be successful. It also counsels to help the poor. If you know anything about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you will know that they help the poor. We feed people, help them with their living exspenses. Teach them how to manage their money. We also teach them to support themselves. Imagine that, teaching people to be more successful than they are today. Who wouldn't want that for their life.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Entitlement is for those who do not work for their money. entitlement is for the poor. Why would you think that anyone is entitled to anything? I have never said that. No one has ever given me anything that I did not work for.

The rules I am talking about are what is required to make it in life.

1. Hard work.

2. Working for what you have

3. Educating yourself on how to make something of yourself.

4. Saving for the future

5. Spending less than you make

6. Prepairing yourself for the day when you can not support yourself.

7. Self reliance

Making it in life has never meant that you will ever hurt any future generations. If anything making it in life helps future generations.

My Chuch teached me to get the best education that I can. My church teaches me to live within our means. My church teaches that it is OK to be successful. It also counsels to help the poor. If you know anything about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you will know that they help the poor. We feed people, help them with their living exspenses. Teach them how to manage their money. We also teach them to support themselves. Imagine that, teaching people to be more successful than they are today. Who wouldn't want that for their life.
That was an amazing post man I give you major kudos for that. I totally agree with you 100 percent on everything you just said.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM

144 posts, read 196,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
As soon as possible, but definitely within 3 years. It's either Oregon, Texas, North Carolina or outside the US for us!
Come to Austin, TX....A LOT of Californians have been moving here in droves the last few years...Just go the Austin forum and you'll see all the locals complaining about just that, Lol...

Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
California real estate has appreciated greatly over the last few decades, you were able to take advantage of that just by being at the right place at the right time. The fact that you bought during a recession doesn't change anything. But the experience over the last 3~4 decades isn't going to repeat itself and younger workers won't be able to take advantage of appreciation to subsidize their lifestyles like families could over the last few decades.
California Real Estate is a series of booms and bust...

Too bad the large majority only seem to become very interested when prices are on the rise...

I've know a lot of people, including extended family that bailed when the bubble burst... they had jobs and simply said it was no longer worth it when they could rent for much less.

Fast forward and now they greatly regret the decision... rents keep going up... the homes they walked away from have more than recovered in my area and they damaged their credit.

No one has a crystal ball... pundits have repeatedly said Real Estate is not an investment with some saying it's a poor investment...

Real Estate ownership is what has given me a leg up... those mortgages do get paid down if you don't use property as an ATM...

When I was in High School... people said the exact same thing... young couples missed their golden opportunity because even when I bought my first home... mortgage rates were 13.5% !!!

It is easy to only look at one side of things.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Brilliant!
Religion to the rescue!
One gets the idea that the concept of energy/inputs used per person in the "greatest" country far exceeding those anywhere else is a concept lost in the aggressive binge on accumulation. Which is wasteful and inefficient, and we don't care. Only hurting people out of sight and out of mind, anyway. That's not being successful; that's being an *******. The Ugly American.

This whole macabre argument about what this mythical middle class is supposed to be exemplifies this to a T.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
A large home, are you kidding me?
In Oxnard it will cost you well over $500,000 for a home in the 2,000 square foot range that sits on a lot much smaller than mine.
I would consider a 2,000+ home to be large and that is larger than what middle-class families use to raise their families in throughout California 20~30 years ago. But in Oxnard there seems to be plenty of homes in the $500,000 range that are 2,000 or more.

Quote:
These are just regular working people that buy these homes. I would hardly call them middle class.
The middle-class are just "regular working people", the distinction between the working and middle-class is one of degree.

Quote:
The problem that many have is they accept less of a lifestyle because they think that is what the middle class should be doing. When I was a kid the middle class could do so much more than many think they can do now. Then again we were not really middle class where I grew up. Look at Ventura County. Middle class is not exactly what i would call Oxnard by any means. Camarillo and Thousand Oaks is more of the middle class neighborhoods for Ventura County. Parts of Ventura as well.
Middle-class isn't a particular lifestyle, its an socioeconomic status, how middle-class people live varies from area to area.

Thousand Oaks is a mix of both middle-class and upper-middle class, over the last 10~20 years it has become increasingly upper-middle class. As I said before, I think you're mistaking the upper-middle class for the middle-class.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
California Real Estate is a series of booms and bust...
There have been many local booms and busts in California real estate and there will likely be more in the future, but that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the high rate of appreciation that has occurred over the last 30~40 years, this benefited anybody that bought a home years ago and it is very unlikely to occur again since the major metro areas are all built out. Younger generations aren't going to be able to buy relatively cheap homes and watch them appreciation rapidly, play the property ladder, etc.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am sure this has been beaten like a dead horse but its very expensive to live well in California.
It's a big state. There are plenty of affordable areas in which to live. Not to say that those areas may be suitable for everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California