Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I am currently in the Birmingham, AL area. I've imagined living elsewhere my whole life, honestly, and did move away for a few years to the Charlotte, NC area. I did like Charlotte, though it's not all that different from Birmingham. That's probably expected, as the two are only about 6 hours apart.

But I still long for sunny skies year round. I suffer from seasonal affective, and treat it medically, and that helps a good bit. My wife and I both love the coast, and spend a lot of time visiting the beach nearest to us in the warmer months. Unfortunately, we are in dead winter now. For those of you who have never visited Alabama in winter, it's not snowy, but always cold, and always, always wet. today is the 2nd sunny day we have in 2015.

Back on topic, so many of you California residents and former residents have such a negative opinion of CA. Reading this forum simply reinforces the idea that CA is prohibitively expensive for everyone except the most well-off. Otherwise, it is assumed someone would be better off moving to a lower cost place or staying away.

Regretfully, it seems that my dream of living in the sunny, drier climate of Southern California is simply a pipe dream. I have no job prospects in the region, nor do I have family. I make just enough in Birmingham, of all places, to live a modest middle class lifestyle. I can only assume that I won't make more money in Southern California, and the cost of a home, being so much greater, will make owning my own home, or even renting a modest home, an impossibility.

So, I guess a "thank you" is in order to everyone who provided their insights. You will forgive me if I'm a bit disappointed, but tis better to know ahead of time than to sell my home in AL, move my family cross-country, and find that we all suffer in Low income housing in some forgotten part of the magical land of Southern California.
If it helps, I still have a lot of kin on my mother's side, both in Birmingham and in rural NE Alabama (Oneonta). And while the COL, schools, jobs, etc. are all important factors, one aspect I often consider at least as important is the local 'culture' of a place, especially if one is relocating from an area with such a strong sense of 'regional identity' like the South.

So while you've focused on SoCal, would suggest you also consider inland NorCal within your possibilities, particularly the areas north of Sacramento. For one thing, a surprising number of folks living up here often have strong southern "roots", and for that reason, and the lower COL, I have several friends who much prefer to live here where they feel a lot more 'comfortable' than when they lived in the SoCal 'burbs, or even in the more urban parts of NorCal.

The number of sunny days up here rival most every other part of the country, it's still quite safe & affordable, regardless whether renting or buying, and the schools & bus service in most areas are pretty decent. Am personally fond of the Chico area, but employment will admittedly be tougher, depending on your field and skills. Though I'd suggest you might investigate more around the Wheatland area, which is still within reasonable commuting distance of Sacramento and Roseville, where you'll be able to find better employment opportunities.

So instead of just getting older while forever wondering "what if", perhaps you owe it to yourself and your family to pack everyone up and come out here for a little "vacation" (aka 'reconnaissance trip')! If you find it 'feels' right, no doubt all the rest will somehow fall into place. And if not, then you can still be confident in your final decision. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 11:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Mmmm. I understand your sentiment. And it's nicely so. On the other hand, why should we assume it's so important for people to stay? Change can be as good as bad. Life's an adventure. An exploration. Humans have always followed opportunities and dreams. Why should we assume California is the end of the road?
You are correct. How would one know where they would like their "road" to end without experiencing other diverse places? Note I have lived in 6 other States besides CA and own land in another, so I have some sense of comparison.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Well, I've read through this entire thread now. All of the responses, and the counter-responses. It is of great interest to me, as are a handful of other threads on this topic.

I am currently in the Birmingham, AL area. I've imagined living elsewhere my whole life, honestly, and did move away for a few years to the Charlotte, NC area. I did like Charlotte, though it's not all that different from Birmingham. That's probably expected, as the two are only about 6 hours apart.

But I still long for sunny skies year round. I suffer from seasonal affective, and treat it medically, and that helps a good bit. My wife and I both love the coast, and spend a lot of time visiting the beach nearest to us in the warmer months. Unfortunately, we are in dead winter now. For those of you who have never visited Alabama in winter, it's not snowy, but always cold, and always, always wet. today is the 2nd sunny day we have in 2015.

Back on topic, so many of you California residents and former residents have such a negative opinion of CA. Reading this forum simply reinforces the idea that CA is prohibitively expensive for everyone except the most well-off. Otherwise, it is assumed someone would be better off moving to a lower cost place or staying away.

Regretfully, it seems that my dream of living in the sunny, drier climate of Southern California is simply a pipe dream. I have no job prospects in the region, nor do I have family. I make just enough in Birmingham, of all places, to live a modest middle class lifestyle. I can only assume that I won't make more money in Southern California, and the cost of a home, being so much greater, will make owning my own home, or even renting a modest home, an impossibility.

So, I guess a "thank you" is in order to everyone who provided their insights. You will forgive me if I'm a bit disappointed, but tis better to know ahead of time than to sell my home in AL, move my family cross-country, and find that we all suffer in Low income housing in some forgotten part of the magical land of Southern California.
There are places where you can live at a lower COL than the Coast. You need to 1st look at job opportunities, then see where they are if they look likely, then check the cost. I grew up in OC and can tell you it ain't cheap anymore. However if you do not mind a lot of sunlight there are areas that are far less expensive, but are a LOT hotter. Then we have Northern CA which in some places is very nice BUT you still have winter. If you are doing Ok where you are try saving for a vacation in CA, Sleep Inn can be inexpensive, and check it out. If you think it might work out plan, plan, plan and save, save, save. I have moved in and out of CA several times and each time made it work with my family. Can you. maybe. maybe not. Your income will be the deciding factor on if and where.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There are places where you can live at a lower COL than the Coast. You need to 1st look at job opportunities, then see where they are if they look likely, then check the cost. I grew up in OC and can tell you it ain't cheap anymore. However if you do not mind a lot of sunlight there are areas that are far less expensive, but are a LOT hotter. Then we have Northern CA which in some places is very nice BUT you still have winter. If you are doing Ok where you are try saving for a vacation in CA, Sleep Inn can be inexpensive, and check it out. If you think it might work out plan, plan, plan and save, save, save. I have moved in and out of CA several times and each time made it work with my family. Can you. maybe. maybe not. Your income will be the deciding factor on if and where.
By your own admission you grew up in SoCal and actually don't even live here anymore. But FYI, this is a very big state, and such vague, generalized and inaccurate statements, just leave the impression that you really don't know what the heck you're talking about. Just sayin'…

Old 01-16-2015, 11:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Just about all that I know have one of two reason or a combination of the two.

One is to be closer to family

The other is people seeking lower Real Estate prices... especially when they can make their California Real Estate Dollars go farther elsewhere.

It's only two weeks into the new year and two colleagues have moved out of State.

One had a small inheritance from the sale her mother's home and bought a few acres with a nice 10 year old home in Alabama close to her husband's kin.

The other retired and had already bought their retirement home in Arizona... similar to what they owned here and paid a third of what they just sold their Bay Area home last month...

Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
By your own admission you grew up in SoCal and actually don't even live here anymore. But FYI, this is a very big state, and such vague, generalized and inaccurate statements, just leave the impression that you really don't know what the heck you're talking about. Just sayin'…
it is never wise to make assumptions.

I have lived in CA for 50 years in total and was born there. I have family in Nor Cal, friends all over the State and visited them, plus I have been in about every corner of the State at one time or another for fun. The generalization was to avoid a long and meaningless post, as the individual it was addressed to would need to visit where he could get work and then the needed info would be available, so a generalization was appropriate.

Like having two ears and one mouth, we also have two eyes. so opening ones mouth (or typing) before thinking is not always wise ... just sayin.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 PM

^ What, so now you're an authority on every place that you've "visited" (no doubt including that family camping trip to 'NorCal" when you were 12… lol)?!

But just look at the very fact that you chose to leave… and yet now rather than 'moving on' with your life in your new home, instead what do you do with your time except keep returning to places like this one, just to convince everyone else (and most obviously yourself), that you still made the 'right' choice? Which at a minimum would seem to be 'prima facie' evidence of someone lacking good judgment to begin with (let alone feels qualified to offer 'relocation' advice to others).

Old 01-16-2015, 12:43 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
If it helps, I still have a lot of kin on my mother's side, both in Birmingham and in rural NE Alabama (Oneonta). And while the COL, schools, jobs, etc. are all important factors, one aspect I often consider at least as important is the local 'culture' of a place, especially if one is relocating from an area with such a strong sense of 'regional identity' like the South.

So while you've focused on SoCal, would suggest you also consider inland NorCal within your possibilities, particularly the areas north of Sacramento. For one thing, a surprising number of folks living up here often have strong southern "roots", and for that reason, and the lower COL, I have several friends who much prefer to live here where they feel a lot more 'comfortable' than when they lived in the SoCal 'burbs, or even in the more urban parts of NorCal.

The number of sunny days up here rival most every other part of the country, it's still quite safe & affordable, regardless whether renting or buying, and the schools & bus service in most areas are pretty decent. Am personally fond of the Chico area, but employment will admittedly be tougher, depending on your field and skills. Though I'd suggest you might investigate more around the Wheatland area, which is still within reasonable commuting distance of Sacramento and Roseville, where you'll be able to find better employment opportunities.

So instead of just getting older while forever wondering "what if", perhaps you owe it to yourself and your family to pack everyone up and come out here for a little "vacation" (aka 'reconnaissance trip')! If you find it 'feels' right, no doubt all the rest will somehow fall into place. And if not, then you can still be confident in your final decision. Good luck!

Mateo45, thank you so much for your words! I am grateful for the time you put into that post, and the obvious amount of thought you put in as well!

Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I love it here. DOn't even try using that 4 seasons reason around me. I have friends all across this nation and they all get so excited about the next season. They can't wait for fall because they like seeing the trees die and the leaves turn from living to dead. (I will agree it looks nice but those leaves eventually hit the ground and then you need to rake them up.) They can't wait for winter to come because the snow looks so nice from the inside of a home I guess. Then they can't wait for spring to get them out of the cold. When it is spring they want summer, when it finally becomes summer it is to hot and they want fall. I am getting the idea that people that want to live around seasons just can not make up their minds.

I love living here where for the most part it has been nice weather. We have had a few cold days this year, still nothing like what many other places get.

I love being able to go to the beach all year long. I can't imagine a day that i can not see the beautifull Pacific Ocean. Yes I live by the coast, not that the majority of people live by the coast because that just is not the case.

Yes it can cost a lot to live here. Realize that you can also make a lot of money here as well. Plenty of people that I know make in the $200,000 range. A few others are making $300,000, $400,000 and more, and these are people that I happen to know.

We do allready own a home here. It took us a lot of work to pull that off. It is taking us a lot of work to pay it off ahead of schedule. My wife and I don't plan on going anywhere. We want to stay here. we love being near the water, near the mountains, being able to live an active lifestyle. We can do this year round and love that fact.

We live longer than most states here in California. I will pay more to be able to add to my life.

This list could go on and on.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
1) the few dozen people posting on this forum do not hardly represent the 38 million population. Most of whom are happy to exist here, even if they struggle to do so. And, frankly, the majority aren't struggling here any more than the majority do elsewhere.
When someone from California makes such a comment, it proves they really do not understand what is happening in California, and the rest of the nation, and it certainly proves they have not even a basic understanding of economics.

THE QUOTE IS WRONG. A majority of the people in California are struggling, which is proven by the fact that 55% of the public school students come from low income families (poverty), and California has by far the highest poverty rate in the nation at almost 24%. In fact most of the past two decades, California’s poverty rate has exceeded that of the nation’s. California has a bigger percentage of their people living in poverty than places Californians look down on such as Mississippi and Louisiana. Los Angeles County home of the biggest city in the country sees, 30% of the population living in poverty, worst in the nation. Even in the fabled Silicon Valley the poverty rate is higher than the other states in the nation.

http://www.ibtimes.com/fools-gold-ca...states-1548707

Map: California Poverty Rates by County <font color=#CD7100><i><strong>Interactive</strong></i></font>

One big reason that California has so much poverty, is the middle class is fleeing California. More people are moving from the state, than are moving into it from other states. Immigrants from south of the border and Asia, especially illegal ones, plus low income people's high birth rate is all that has kept California gaining in population.

California governments, have been driving companies out of the state for a couple of decades. And those higher paid jobs are being replaced with low income jobs and part time jobs which results in a rising poverty rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California