Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 01:46 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Unless you have a skill that is in demand...

Recently, the Local Hospital hired 3 new grad nurses from Cal State East Bay... starting wage is $42 and in 6 months it goes to $45 plus benefits...
Even if you have skills that are in demand....California can be a rough place. $45/hour isn't that much, around $85,000 a year, you can't even afford a small home on that salary in a decent area of LA or bay area. Here, for example, a reasonable single family home starts at around $600,000 and a family would have to earn around $120,000/year (even more if they had student loans or other debt) a year to comfortably afford that at current interest rates

Quote:
One is married to a police officer... 25 and she is 24 and they have a 9 month old... this young couple will earn 200k right out of school...
A young police officer doesn't earn anywhere near $120,000 a year and I think both parents having to work to afford things is, well, rough. Who wants paid strangers to raise their kids? Apparently a lot of people....but not something I personally understand. Due to the way taxes work out, people can often move to a cheaper area and have the same standard of living on a single income. I think any young working family should have a very serious discussion if the costs to live in California are truly worth it for them, there are many nice areas throughout the country that are much cheaper.

Last edited by user_id; 01-19-2015 at 01:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
A young police officer doesn't earn anywhere near $120,000 a year and I think both parents having to work to afford things is, well, rough. Who wants paid strangers to raise their kids? Apparently a lot of people....but not something I personally understand. Due to the way taxes work out, people can often move to a cheaper area and have the same standard of living on a single income. I think any young working family should have a very serious discussion if the costs to live in California are truly worth it for them, there are many nice areas throughout the country that are much cheaper.
The "young" police officer could have been on the force for four years, not a rookie.

Guess in your all; seeing, all knowing way you somehow haven't grasped the concept of overtime. Pity! There's plenty in both professions.

But never let an opportunity to argue with anyone and everyone get in your way.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Even if you have skills that are in demand....California can be a rough place. $45/hour isn't that much, around $85,000 a year, you can't even afford a small home on that salary in a decent area of LA or bay area. Here, for example, a reasonable single family home starts at around $600,000 and a family would have to earn around $120,000/year (even more if they had student loans or other debt) a year to comfortably afford that at current interest rates

Funny thing about both Nursing and being a Police Officer. Both can work days or nights. Take my wife for example. She works three 7pm to 7am shifts a week so she is home with the kids when they are out of school. I get the kids ready for school when she is working and then head off to work after she gets home. It has worked for us during our marriage. I know many others that have done the same thing and no one else had had to raise the kids.

Also realize that with nursing, they work 3 - 12 hour shifts at regular pay and many times will work a 4th shift or maybe work an extra 4 hours after their normal 12 hour shift. Doing just that can move those incomes past the $100,000 a year mark. I know one of our RN's makes over $170,000 a year but she practically lives here at the hosital though.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:

Both have almost unlimited opportunity for overtime... just the Occupy movement and more recent Furgeson protest have my OPD friends swimming in overtime...

Here is a dated link from 4 years ago...

RealClearMarkets - Of Course Oakland Can't Afford These Cops

Not that many stay at home mom's around here... just looking at the nursing staff where I work... all but one is a woman and all have families... several are married to Police Officers/Firefighters

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-19-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Unless you have a skill that is in demand...

Recently, the Local Hospital hired 3 new grad nurses from Cal State East Bay... starting wage is $42 and in 6 months it goes to $45 plus benefits...

All are 25 or younger and 2 are married.

One is married to a police officer... 25 and she is 24 and they have a 9 month old... this young couple will earn 200k right out of school...
So how does this help the thousands of unemployed who were in manufacturing and related jobs that are going away.

Plus such jobs have good demand in every State, not just CA, so what is the point?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
So how does this help the thousands of unemployed who were in manufacturing and related jobs that are going away.

Plus such jobs have good demand in every State, not just CA, so what is the point?
It proves that California does have jobs for those with the right qualifications...

I behooves a person to learn the skills that employers need if you want to be employed.

We have several nurses that parlayed their military experience to become RN's with no degree required... California allows military corpsman to challenge the nursing board.

My example shows that people from simple backgrounds, often immigrant or the first in their family with a degree do make it here...

I posted several years ago that SF General was hiring new grad RNs at 100k starting...

If no one made it here... the place would be a dustbowl and property values would plummet.

The reason property is high is because demand is high and the SF Bay Area does have significant well paying jobs...

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
With overtime even a rookie cop will make more than 100k, heck even the 33,000 prison guards in California make that much with overtime and they get peace officer retirement and benefits.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The "young" police officer could have been on the force for four years, not a rookie. Guess in your all; seeing, all knowing way you somehow haven't grasped the concept of overtime. Pity! There's plenty in both professions.
I didn't say anything about overtime and I think it would be helpful if you noted the context of my comment, you see, trying to to raise a family with both parents working and one or more also working overtime would be rough. But the average pay of police officers, including overtime, is around $95,000 so a young police officer would have to work a lot of overtime to achieve that pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But never let an opportunity to argue with anyone and everyone get in your way.
The irony.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Both have almost unlimited opportunity for overtime... just the Occupy movement and more recent Furgeson protest have my OPD friends swimming in overtime...
I don't think either have anything close to "almost unlimited opportunity for overtime" and in the context of young families...overtime means even greater amounts of time away from your family. I think there is little point in making extra money if you're always at work and have to hire people to take care of your kids....but I guess that is the sort of thing people have to do to afford to live in California. Seems pretty miserable to me.

Quote:
Not that many stay at home mom's around here... just looking at the nursing staff where I work... all but one is a woman and all have families... several are married to Police Officers/Firefighters
Probably not....but that is because California is rough on young families.

Last edited by user_id; 01-19-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Funny thing about both Nursing and being a Police Officer. Both can work days or nights. Take my wife for example. She works three 7pm to 7am shifts a week so she is home with the kids when they are out of school. I get the kids ready for school when she is working and then head off to work after she gets home. It has worked for us during our marriage. I know many others that have done the same thing and no one else had had to raise the kids.
I've seen people do this sort of thing and while it avoids things like daycare, it always seems very stressful and the people seemed overworked. Families in California seem to work so hard just to make it, yet decades ago they did just fine with a single earner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California