Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

Really, they like white fine, but only between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Off-season it's considered gauche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
I think they like each other fine. I've lived in heavily Hispanic areas and worked with lots of them. Been friends with many over the years and have at least a half dozen married into my extended family. Never notice any racial animosity or tension (even in 70% Latino Salinas or 81% Latino Soledad).

Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
I've never noticed that where I live, but CA is a really big place. How can you generalize? There may be places where there is tension, I don't know. Certainly a lot of Anglos will mutter among themselves about Hispanics taking over and Spanish becoming the dominant language, but the other way around? I don't see that.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 AM

451 posts, read 563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I asked this question of a crowd of people who happen to be sitting here watching the Superbowl. General consensus is there is racial tension among whites and Mexicans in California. Whites feeling threatened that English is becoming the second language here, that Mexicans are trying to turn California into Mexico. Conversely, Mexicans feeling this state does belong to them, that it was stolen from them in the Mexican-American war. That they're under-appreciated for the work they provide to the US. They are enticed here by big agriculture then treated with hostility once they get here. Keep in mind, I live in an area where a Mexican youth was shot and killed by a white cop because he was carrying a toy gun that looked like a semi-automatic rifle. So you'd have to have your head in the sand to think there isn't racial tension in California.

But what's new? Pretty much since the first miner yelled, "Gold!" this state has been embroiled in racial tension. It was Asians during the building of the railroad. San Francisco used to be an Irish town with lots of Italians. Blacks, as you said in the 80's. So now it's Mexicans.

Same stuff, different decade, as they say.
I love it!!!
LoriBee62: "Pardon me for interrupting the Superbowl everyone, but do Hispanics like whites here in CA?"
Jim: "Dey took our jobs. Derp."
Jack: "Dey want Mexican to be the official language! They think that CA belongs to them! Da derp di deeerp."

So basically you and your brilliant friends are the consensus for this conclusion that there is "racial tension". But you go farther than that. You are also able to state what the general Mexican consensus is on the subject (mostly based on stereotypical beliefs that they are constantly complaining of being under appreciated and this land is Mexico). What online university did you get your Sociology degree from? Great stuff.

And yet, one could wonder, after reading your post, how there could ever possibly be racial tension among Gringos and Mexicans??

I wouldn't say that there is tension nor animosity for Mexicans against Whites. Of course there will always be a few people that act otherwise (as do people from any race). For the most part, Mexicans go about their daily lives and they know where they live: The United States of America. I would admit that we do tend to be a bit prideful as hard working people. Perhaps some may complain about how little they earn. At the same time however, many work in low wage jobs. Besides, who doesn't make that same exact complaint?? This usually goes hand in hand with feeling under-appreciated. But when it comes to farm labor, I can tell you from first hand experience, as I've had plenty of family who started out doing this, more people than not feel fortunate to be earning doing this work. They understand that they're fresh out of MX, no marketable skills, don't speak English, and their family/peers do the same exact thing. They have little room for complaint.

As for CA that was once a part of MX: We all know the history behind that. Yet I wouldn't say Mexicans living in the US generally feel like MX belongs to us. For the most part, Mexicans tend to be grateful they are no longer in MX earning crap wages. Yet, they, we, appreciate the irony that some people in CA complain about there being too many Mexicans in CA, a land that was once, literally, MX.

Last edited by latino_esq; 02-02-2015 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: editing

Old 02-02-2015, 10:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
I look in the mirror everyday and always like what I see.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think there's more tension between Hispanics and Blacks than Hispanics and whites in Socal.
More than will EVER be reported or discussed in the general public dialogue.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post

As for CA that was once a part of MX: We all know the history behind that. Yet I wouldn't say Mexicans living in the US generally feel like MX belongs to us. For the most part, Mexicans tend to be grateful they are no longer in MX earning crap wages. Yet, they, we, appreciate the irony that some people in CA complain about there being too many Mexicans in CA, a land that was once, literally, MX.
Yes, it once belong to Mexico, and before that Spain, and before that Native Americans, and before that..........

Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Yet, they, we, appreciate the irony that some people in CA complain about there being too many Mexicans in CA, a land that was once, literally, MX.
And before that, Spanish and before that, Indian. But thankfully, it was developed by white ingenuity with help from Mexican and Chinese labor or it might be like Tijuana, Juarez, etc. today. Reconquista, y'all!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Yes, it once belong to Mexico, and before that Spain, and before that Native Americans, and before that..........
Don't forget Russia's claim on NorCal for a brief time.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Don't forget Russia's claim on NorCal for a brief time.
And before them, seals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California