Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I've been hearing in the Jedediah Smith redwood forest recently while walking there with my dog.

I thought it might be an elk, but I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of elk sounds, and I don't think it's an elk.

It sounds like a high pitched whistle, but as if it has an electrical feedback noise in it, too. It's pretty loud for it to be a bird, but I don't know. But, this is why I thought it might be an elk, because it sounds pretty loud for a bird to make. It sounds like one will make this sound on a hill above me, then it sounds like there's an answer down the other side of the hill.

The time of day is usually late afternoon.

Would appreciate any ideas.

I was so excited today to find a banana slug!!! The only other time in my life I saw a banana slug in the wild, was in WA on the Olympic peninsula in the rain forest. Almost stepped on him, but fortunately missed. I had to take a double take. I thought they would be much farther north. Very, very cool little creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:51 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I was so excited today to find a banana slug!!! The only other time in my life I saw a banana slug in the wild, was in WA on the Olympic peninsula in the rain forest. Almost stepped on him, but fortunately missed. I had to take a double take. I thought they would be much farther north. Very, very cool little creatures.
You can also find them much further south, for example in the wet parts of the Santa Cruz mountains. There's a reason UC Santa Cruz has a banana slug mascot. They're cute and cuddly, but don't pick them up - the salt on our fingers can harm them. There's an annual banana slug festival in Guerneville (Russian River, Sonoma County), where you can watch them race, or eat them, depending on your preference.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:06 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Blue Jays, at times, make a whistle sound.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I don't know what you are hearing but I love those forests, I visit once a year and plan on retiring in that area.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:12 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Well, if there is no man around, are you still nagging?

I have always enjoyed the sounds of nature as I walked in total isolation. I have never questioned. I just accept. .Apparently you and I have a different approach to our encounters with nature. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes and all

Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Maybe Bigfoot?

Old 03-13-2015, 02:44 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Maybe Bigfoot?
Oh man I cant describe my bigfoot paranoia in maybe 1977 1977 driving from Redding to Crescent City neighborhood 1977

I used to sleep in my car. The billboard said something about bigfoot. I did not sleep a wink that night.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM

88 posts, read 108,613 times
My husband and I spend a lot of time in Humboldt County, and we camp at Albee Creek campground in Humboldt Redwoods State Park every year. We hike every day the week that we stay, and have heard those noises to. Sometimes the Redwood trees cross each other because of the way they grow or because a tree has become partially uprooted and is leaning on another tree. I believe this noise to be the trees rubbing against each other.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Maybe Bigfoot?
This is what I was thinking. They're signaling to each other.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
This thread is reminding me of a book I read by a physicist who was also a surfer, and won the Nobel Prize for physics one year. The newspaper headlines that morning said, "Surfer Wins Nobel Prize For Physics!" This guy had land up in Mendocino, around the redwoods. In a book he wrote about his adventures in life and general ramblings (kind of a stream-of-consciousness approach), he talks about a very strange encounter he had with what appeared to him in that moment to be a racoon, in his neck of the forest. Somehow, he ended up waking up the next day in the middle of a clearing, having apparently spent the night sleeping on the ground (as far as he could tell). It freaked him out. About a year later, he saw a book in the bookstore with a picture of his "raccoon" on the cover; it was a book about alien abductions.

I'm not an alien abduction conspiracy person, I'm just recounting what this guy wrote in his book. There could be strange things in redwood forests, who knows? Check out "Dancing Naked in the Mind Field", if you can find it on Amazon. It's a good read. Except for the chapter where the author rants about the global AIDS conspiracy. Strange guy. The field of physics seems to collect some unusual personalities.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-17-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California