Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed! However, some are afraid that this step may lead to the undoing of the benefit to homeowners....I don't see how, though.
That's what the corporations will say in their million dollar ad buys to try to kill this but I hope people don't buy the BS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed! However, some are afraid that this step may lead to the undoing of the benefit to homeowners....I don't see how, though.
In CA they are limited, if one goes up the other will also. Beside passing a tax on businesses just increases your costs as that tax increase will ultimately come out of your pocket and at a higher level due to the costs businesses will incur with the added cost and paperwork. remember business get their money from ..... you. They don't print it, so higher taxes paid come from... you.

Glad you like increasing your costs.

Someone really needs to get intelligent economic classes back in the schools.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In CA they are limited, if one goes up the other will also. Beside passing a tax on businesses just increases your costs as that tax increase will ultimately come out of your pocket and at a higher level due to the costs businesses will incur with the added cost and paperwork. remember business get their money from ..... you. They don't print it, so higher taxes paid come from... you.
Someone really needs to get intelligent economic classes back in the schools.
Nevada commercial property tax can be raised 8% a year but if you go to Nevada you will find the price for commodities such as food, gas, furniture, pharmaceuticals etc to be virtually identical to those in California, if what you are claiming is true everything should cost more in Nevada, right?

Prices only rise when consumers are willing to pay more, that is why prices rarely increase more than a few cents when costs go up, i.e. the cost of beef doubling a few years ago. A business can rarely if ever pass on all cost increases to consumers, if they try to raise prices too much they are very likely to go out of business.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nevada commercial property tax can be raised 8% a year but if you go to Nevada you will find the price for commodities such as food, gas, furniture, pharmaceuticals etc to be virtually identical to those in California, if what you are claiming is true everything should cost more in Nevada, right?

Prices only rise when consumers are willing to pay more, that is why prices rarely increase more than a few cents when costs go up, i.e. the cost of beef doubling a few years ago. A business can rarely if ever pass on all cost increases to consumers, if they try to raise prices too much they are very likely to go out of business.
Other than small businesses, most companies have National prices and they go up with costs. They may spread it around a bit, but they go up. Local small businesses have just a couple of choices; go out of business, fire an employee, move. The money has to come from somewhere and businesses can not print it so it comes our of ... your pocket.

Just check the minus at restaurants and they change constantly. They have to as most companies have minimal margins. I own 3 business in CA now and have owned business in CA since 1974. Prices go up. If they didn't a cheeseburger would still be $0.15 at McDonald's as it was when I was a kid. Disneyland charged $1.00 to get in and Knott's Berry farm was free, a movie cost an adult $1.00. The prices went up because the cost of doing business went up for everyone. Inflation is caused by ... prices going up and money being worth less. Basic economics.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Other than small businesses, most companies have National prices and they go up with costs. They may spread it around a bit, but they go up. Local small businesses have just a couple of choices; go out of business, fire an employee, move. The money has to come from somewhere and businesses can not print it so it comes our of ... your pocket.

Just check the minus at restaurants and they change constantly. They have to as most companies have minimal margins. I own 3 business in CA now and have owned business in CA since 1974. Prices go up.
You totally blew off the part about commercial property tax going up 8% a year in Nevada and prices being the same there for most goods and services as in California, how come?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
You totally blew off the part about commercial property tax going up 8% a year in Nevada and prices being the same there for most goods and services as in California, how come?
The owners have no State Income tax to pay, so they still, come out money ahead.

The overall cost of living in NV is lower than CA so prices go up, but not as much.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The owners have no State Income tax to pay, so they still, come out money ahead. The overall cost of living in NV is lower than CA so prices go up, but not as much.
No, prices consistently remain the same in both states. Your original premise that a split tax roll in California will increase prices is still flawed.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
No, prices consistently remain the same in both states. Your original premise that a split tax roll in California will increase prices is still flawed.
You have no knowledge of business.

Where would the money come from to pay the increased tax?

Lets see, NV increased their gas tax and CA did also, which one went up the most?

Then vehicle registration fees are way lower than in CA and many businesses have vehicles.
Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees

Then housing is lower and so is business property prices. I would pay about 40% less in NV for the same building I have in CA. My taxes in CA would be about the same as in NV and overall cost of business would be less. I know the costs because I am looking at moving one business out of CA to NV and the main employees are fine with moving.

Now as to property tax:

Nevada’s Constitution (Article 10, section 5) caps the property tax rate at $5.00 per $100 of assessed value. It is further capped by statute (NRS 361.453) at $3.64 per $100 of assessed value, plus 2 cents approved by the voters in 2002 for the protection and preservation of natural resources in Nevada. Currently, the maximum rate per $100 of assessed value that may be levied is $3.66. Property in Nevada is assessed at 35 percent of its taxable value.

In checking the overall tax cost under NV law the total comes out about the same as a similar property in CA (costing more), so the NV property tax is not a major issue.

So even up to 8% increase in value is no big deal due to the lower overall cost in the State.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You have no knowledge of business.

Where would the money come from to pay the increased tax?

Lets see, NV increased their gas tax and CA did also, which one went up the most?
Then vehicle registration fees are way lower than in CA and many businesses have vehicles.
Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees
Then housing is lower and so is business property prices. I would pay about 40% less in NV for the same building I have in CA. My taxes in CA would be about the same as in NV and overall cost of business would be less. I know the costs because I am looking at moving one business out of CA to NV and the main employees are fine with moving.
Now as to property tax:
Nevada’s Constitution (Article 10, section 5) caps the property tax rate at $5.00 per $100 of assessed value. It is further capped by statute (NRS 361.453) at $3.64 per $100 of assessed value, plus 2 cents approved by the voters in 2002 for the protection and preservation of natural resources in Nevada. Currently, the maximum rate per $100 of assessed value that may be levied is $3.66. Property in Nevada is assessed at 35 percent of its taxable value.
In checking the overall tax cost under NV law the total comes out about the same as a similar property in CA (costing more), so the NV property tax is not a major issue.
So even up to 8% increase in value is no big deal due to the lower overall cost in the State.
If what you claim is true (and parts are incorrect) then prices for goods and services should be cheaper in Nevada but they aren't

Old 12-18-2017, 01:55 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Beside passing a tax on businesses just increases your costs as that tax increase will ultimately come out of your pocket and at a higher level due to the costs businesses will incur with the added cost and paperwork.

This is supposed to close the loophole in Prop 13 that businesses have been using to get out of having their property re-assessed when there's a change in ownership.

Its focus is on businesses that, when purchasing a commercial property, carve up ownership shares to make sure that no one has a majority ownership stake, thus avoiding triggering a reassessment leading to higher property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California