Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Prop 13 helps the 1% more than any other group.
Assumes facts not in evidence. At any rate, you say that as if it were a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
So if you bought a house for 600K in 2007. In 2012 you would have trouble selling it for 300K. You should be taxed on the 600K value of the house instead of the "unrealized" 300K?

I said that property taxes should be based on the value of the property. You said that's what Prop 13 is. I said no. Now, using the last refuge of a losing argument, semantics, you're telling me that no one can truly define the value of a house? If that were the case then the HELOC industry would be in big trouble, haha.
Here is the verbatim section of Prop 13 as approved by 2/3 of California Voters... (By the way... I was too young to vote when Prop 13 passed)

Section 2.

(a) The full cash value means the County Assessors valuation of real property as shown on the 1975-76 tax bill under “full cash value,” or thereafter, the appraised value of real property when purchased, newly constructed, or a change in ownership has occurred after the 1975 assessment. All real property not already assessed up to the 1975-76 tax levels may be reassessed to reflect that valuation

So you are in sync with Prop 13.

I said an arms length sale between a willing seller and able buyer... determines value...

I also said an appraisal would mean more if the person appraising was willing to buy for the appraised price.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's how it works in all those other states. Value goes up, property taxes go up, rents go up. How about landlords in San Francisco paying property taxes on 10% of their building's current value and charging market rate rents while pocketing the tax break?
Many metro areas have Rent Control including San Francisco.

By the way... other states have limits on tax increases and also provisions for seniors/disabled.

I will take Texas Property Tax if California gets rid of Income Tax...

California is not a low tax state... unbelievable there are still those in support of higher taxes.

I live in Oakland and we pay high property tax... just today the Mayor of Oakland and Vice Mayor commented on the politics and corruption in Oakland government... my 12k in property taxes for a 1957 home of 1725 square feet is already confiscatory.... but no one forced me to buy.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-13-2018 at 09:32 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
So if you bought a house for 600K in 2007. In 2012 you would have trouble selling it for 300K. You should be taxed on the 600K value of the house instead of the "unrealized" 300K?

I said that property taxes should be based on the value of the property. You said that's what Prop 13 is. I said no. Now, using the last refuge of a losing argument, semantics, you're telling me that no one can truly define the value of a house? If that were the case then the HELOC industry would be in big trouble, haha.
Prop 8 modified prop 13 and allowed for property tax reductions if property values decreased. Here's how it works:
Decline in Market Value (Prop 8) Background and Overview

Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's how it works in all those other states. Value goes up, property taxes go up, rents go up. How about landlords in San Francisco paying property taxes on 10% of their building's current value and charging market rate rents while pocketing the tax break?
Rent is based on supply and demand, not the amount of property tax paid. I think California would benefit from a split tax roll like Nevada has which allows for up to a 3% annual increase on residential property and an 8% annual increase on commercial properties and all non owner occupied homes.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:34 PM

Rent is based on supply and demand but the amount of rentals in a market is affected by cost.

I would anticipate fewer rental homes should taxes spike...

Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Rent is based on supply and demand but the amount of rentals in a market is affected by cost.

I would anticipate fewer rental homes should taxes spike...
You're probably correct about single family home rentals, but I don't think people would quit renting multi-family units

Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 PM

5 units and up are pretty much stuck... the single family homes are already seeing decline in numbers here in the SF East Bay as they become owner occupant...

At one time 50% of the neighborhood where I once lived was rentals... all owner occupied now.

It is simply the numbers... rents are $2500 and homes are pushing 700K...

Each sale is a windfall for the tax man and county assessor...

Old 04-14-2018, 06:01 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentialBroker View Post
Man I remember when Prop 13 came out, so many ppl were against it.
Only 1/3 of the voters were against it, so I suspect the ones against it did not own homes.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:57 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Wow, the more you write, the less credibility you have.
You really have no idea what's going on.
I gave an example of how your tax structure failed in my out of state properties which you conveniently did not address but you did respond to other parts of that post. Guess that's what happens when you make a statement and get proven wrong. Instead I'd admitting it you just pretend no one sees it . Well done.

On my rentals my property taxes have gone up, but rents have not. It's not always about how much it costs to hold that property, but what the market will bear. But wait, you know better than landlords and investors who are actually doing it because you have this idea that trumps all real world experience.

How about landlords in San Francisco paying 10% of value not getting market rents because of rent control? Like others have said, it may be worth a lot more if he could cash out, but that money is not his to use until he sells.
If you had a trust that gave you a million dollars but you couldn't get to until you turn 50 and you are 25 now, do you really have that million?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California