Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

Noted that we need those "stupid chickens" more than they need us. The law is fine as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
They're bad for you anyway.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:52 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
The difference of a buck or two across the board does not affect my purchasing decisions for eggs. This law came about because the largest organizations in the egg industry took the easiest path toward cost savings and did not figure out a better way to economically produce eggs without abusing the birds. After putting in their efforts into, and succeeding at, owning most of the market they just reached a point where they had no incentive to innovate anyway.

There's an observation that moral and ethical values are only practical for people who have had their basic survival needs satisfied first. Being that this is the United States, one of the wealthiest nations in the world, I expected that most people here would solidly belong in that category yet I am constantly surprised at the quantities of supporters for a lower standard of ethics, more often than not in order to justify a relatively marginal discount to the price of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The poster you're replying to is a person, not an animal. So asking if he/she wants to live like an animal is kind of silly. Doing so is a false equivalence argument at best...

Genesis 1:28

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
From my understanding, doesn't the New Testament's overall message about love, humility and mercy supersede the Old Testament?

Human generosity as expressed through action toward lower life forms would surely qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
They're bad for you anyway.
I believe that they changed their minds about this a few years ago. The message now is simply "don't overdo it." So maybe 4 a week for heart healthy food watchers, 7 a week for normal people. A basic assumption that I often hear is that the nutrition in an egg makes the cholesterol risk reasonable.

Newer research shows that ingesting cholesterol in foods does not raise cholesterol levels in most people. For those who are sensitive to dietary cholesterol though, the increases of cholesterol in their blood tended to be in a form that is less likely to be capable of clogging arteries.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:54 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
The poster you're replying to is a person, not an animal. So asking if he/she wants to live like an animal is kind of silly. Doing so is a false equivalence argument at best...

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
Aaaannnd you take this quote to mean Man has the right to torture animals. I suppose the same way slave owners used the bible to justify owning other human beings and torturing them too.

If this is how people choose to interpret the bible, then aethiesm is the only hope for this planet.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:57 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I was not in california when prop 2 passed, so pardon my ignorance.
And if you plan to stay in California, be prepared for the rude awakening that you're not in Kansas anymore, and you'll probably make more friends if you keep your "I'm happy to torture animals" opinions to yourself.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Aaaannnd you take this quote to mean Man has the right to torture animals. I suppose the same way slave owners used the bible to justify owning other human beings and torturing them too.

If this is how people choose to interpret the bible, then aethiesm is the only hope for this planet.
THIS^

Old 08-02-2015, 01:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
I remember years ago the people of Cally voted another prop in and shot themselves in the foot. They had some of the worst drivers in the country yet didn't want increases in premiums and voted accordingly. Needless to say the prop passed and next thing you know 10 largest insurance providers pulled out of the state leaving them with insurance providers they weren't familiar with. Existing policyholders found they were being dropped at their renewals and no new business being sold there. Served them right as the losses in all lines of business were astronomical yet they hoped to keep current premiums. That's not how insurance works.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Humane measures are expensive, but, well, humane. If we all paid an extra 10-25 cents for produce, farmworkers could actually get paid decently, and might even have some employment benefits. Why, US citizens might actually get back into the seasonal picking business again! Unemployment would shrink. But no. Tightwads like the OP want to squeeze chickens and farmworkers for all they've got, without a care to their welfare.

Be careful, OP. In your next lifetime, you might be reborn as a chicken in god-awful factory-farm conditions. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-02-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 02:06 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:

And this is why I despise religion and think Christians are a bunch of ignorant mindless hypocrites who probably think the earth is still flat lol. I'm so happy religion is on the decline, the world will be a much better place.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
And this is why I despise religion and think Christians are a bunch of ignorant mindless hypocrites who probably think the earth is still flat lol. I'm so happy religion is on the decline, the world will be a much better place.

^^^And that is why I despise people who people who stereotype, make stupid blanket statements and false assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California