Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times

Advertisements

I was not in california when prop 2 passed, so pardon my ignorance.

Did people understand that egg prices would more than double in price just so stupid chickens, which we deep fry, could flap their stupid wings.

Was that part left out of the ballot pamphlet, or what??

Before the stupid law went into effect, 99c dozens were common. Now eggs are at least $3.

and here's the best part. People in other states get to enjoy their eggs laid by overcrowded chickens. mMMMMmmmm

If we all started a petition to overturn prop 2, you think everyone would sign it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 01:43 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
No. In the big scheme of things, eggs are still a cheap commodity.

Prices have gone down from the high prices when the law first passed. I predict they'll go down even more.

I buy them in the 5 dozen flats now to get the best price. But even at $3/dozen, that's only 25 cents per egg, or 50 cents for a meal. And you can envision a chicken that's in a slightly bigger cage, where it can at least turn around. Seems fair, and the price is still really cheap per meal.

I can't imagine people voting to treat chickens worse. And that's what you'd be asking them to do. They may have voted to leave things alone the first time around. But, now you'd be trying to get people on board with making their conditions worse. I don't see that happening.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:11 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

Did people understand that egg prices would more than double in price just so stupid chickens, which we deep fry, could flap their stupid wings.

Before the stupid law went into effect, 99c dozens were common. Now eggs are at least $3.

and here's the best part. People in other states get to enjoy their eggs laid by overcrowded chickens. mMMMMmmmm

If we all started a petition to overturn prop 2, you think everyone would sign it now?

Did you know that prior to Prop 2, laying hens were caged in such a way that they could not even stand up or turn around? Would you like to live like that???

Old 08-02-2015, 06:27 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Do you follow the news? Egg prices are up all over because of the recent bird flu which required thousands of chickens all over the country to be destroyed. Fewer chickens = fewer eggs = higher prices for eggs. There was a recent TV news piece on how difficult it was for bakeries to obtain enough eggs for their products so they were looking for ways to substitute other food ingredients to obtain similar taste, texture, expansive properties.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/bird-f...php?country=us

Old 08-02-2015, 08:41 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

I spend less for eggs now than I did before pro 2, it seems to me there are more cage free eggs out there now so the competition has brought the price down a bit. The only people I know who are fighting prop 2 are the poultry farmers in the midwest who keep suing California to allow them to sell their eggs that are raised like this:

Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Did you know that prior to Prop 2, laying hens were caged in such a way that they could not even stand up or turn around? Would you like to live like that???
The poster you're replying to is a person, not an animal. So asking if he/she wants to live like an animal is kind of silly. Doing so is a false equivalence argument at best...

Genesis 1:28

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Old 08-02-2015, 09:36 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
I won't eat animals that are tortured and abused. I'll gladly pay more for happier, healthier livestock and I'll gladly vote for any measure that supports healthy farming practices as will my when they are old enough to vote. It's a moral and ethical obligation.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The poster you're replying to is a person, not an animal. So asking if he/she wants to live like an animal is kind of silly. Doing so is a false equivalence argument at best...

Genesis 1:28

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
Human beings are animals-- mammals actually. Did you not learn that in school? That religion stuff is hokey and doesn't mean to treat God's creatures like garbage.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 AM

133 posts, read 274,655 times
As my youngest is allergic to eggs, we no longer buy them, so I have not noticed the price change. I do believe that if the first line on the initiative description said, "Will make a pack of 12 eggs cost $20," people would still have voted for it. No one except for me (or so it seems) actually reads the details on what they are voting on or against.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispytopher View Post
As my youngest is allergic to eggs, we no longer buy them, so I have not noticed the price change. I do believe that if the first line on the initiative description said, "Will make a pack of 12 eggs cost $20," people would still have voted for it. No one except for me (or so it seems) actually reads the details on what they are voting on or against.
I am a voting nerd, too. I actually read all arguments and the actual text of the proposals. If I don't have time to read the actual info or don't understand it, I don't vote on that issue.

Surely, we can't be alone.

I also didn't care how much eggs would cost afterwards. It was the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California