Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
In 1970, the population of CA was less than 20,000,000. In 2014, the population was almost 39,000,000. A LOT less people were flocking to the beaches in CA on weekends in the 60s. :-) Ya think?

It's really useless for those of us, who can remember when Southern CA was a wonderful place to live, to 'wax nostalgic'. (Besides, I can remember where there was nothing alive in Santa Monica Bay [and I bet you can't) -- things certainly weren't perfect -- even the air quality was worse (I think -- can't remember for a fact).] It's definitely not that way anymore, and all the nostalgia in the world is not going to make it so. And I think if we want something bad enough, we'll put up with a lot of cr-p to have it. I just couldn't do it anymore. Too many people, too many cars, too many houses, and bad air. I'm speaking mostly about the coast of Southern CA. If you weren't there in the 50s, 60s, and 70s -- you have no idea what I'm talking about. The way things are now is, well, the way things are. You don't know how good things were. You have no frame of reference.

Again, what hasn't changed? There were less people PERIOD in the United States in 1970.

Population of US in 1970 205 million.

Population of US in 2015 320 million.

And the air quality is much better today in the LA area than it was in the 70s.

People in Idaho are complaining about too many people moving there.

Look, I just commented to a friend how no one does their job properly anymore, had an issue at the bank due to someone not following through, it took two times to get it right.

Their response was to me(and it applies here) was "it's not going to go back to the way it was, you can complain about people being not doing their jobs, not following through like they used to, but that's how it is now".

They're right.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
How does this happen -- every so often a thread starts and people are fighting about whether or not CA is a good place to live.
Ok, here's a challenge. Go to 'any' state forum on CD and proceed to go on and on about how terrible the state has become. Then make sure to use plenty of sweeping generalizations about the entire state including the majority it's people. Any guess what the result will be? Yet, this same thing goes on all the time. Then, the disgruntled act surprised when others who actually enjoy their state have a different experience. Those who enjoy the state are somehow in denial since no on could actually be enjoying it beyond a privileged few.

Quote:
This is a big dispute that no one can win. So why do we do this? Don't we have anything more constructive to do or to say?
In normal discussions there is not a need for one side to 'win' over the other. Rather, there can be points made by both sides to be considered. I certainly don't expect to change anyone's mind who is dead set against CA. In fact, I encourage others to go and learn for themselves what pros/cons other states have. As I've said many times, no state is perfect. As such, one's QOL varies based on individual preferences. There is no one size that fits all.

I find it constructive to show the positive side of CA (even in negative threads) for those who are thinking of moving to CA. In addition, for those who are trapped on a hamster wheel in the concrete jungles of LA/OC/SD/SF, there are other options within the state before moving to TX, TN, OK, KS, etc...

Quote:
And as for the guy who posted that sunset in Monterey -- we have the same in Southern CA. Now I live in New Mexico -- and we have gorgeous sunrises and sunsets and rainbows (in a quantity that CA doesn't have) AND thunder and lightening that is out of this world. We live almost a mile up -- we have skies you can't beat. Almost everyday. (We also have water. LOL Sorry - I couldn't resist. LOL) Am I happy here? Yes and no. But I definitely wasn't happy in CA anymore. My quality of life is much here (I think). And I can visit CA at least a couple of times a year, and really have a good time, because I can leave when I've had it.
I don't recall ever saying other states don't have nice sunsets? Rather, you asked a specific question about those in CA who actually enjoy the many great things which CA has to offer like going to the beach, mountains, redwood forests, etc... And I answered that yes, I do. When we lived in CO we had all the things you have in NM (thunderstorms, lightning, etc...) and more including the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I also have relatives who moved from NM to CA and never moved back (except for one, temporarily). So, I am quite aware of what other states have to offer. I just greatly prefer living on the West Coast. For others, NM, TN, TX, etc... is where it is at for them and that's fine. There is no right place for everyone. Though CA does offer more than many states, hence the greatest population of Americans from all different backgrounds, religions, races, political bents, etc...

I know I will never convince the ranters of these things. I've been on this forum longer than most and realize many ppl come here to vent, plain and simple. I offer another perspective for those who like seeing more than one side of things which is often very slanted in the negative direction. That's not to say CA doesn't have it's own issues, like every state does. I simply find the pros well outweigh the cons and therefore can fully enjoy it.

Derek

Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
I know I will never convince the ranters of these things. I've been on this forum longer than most and realize many ppl come here to vent, plain and simple. I offer another perspective for those who like seeing more than one side of things which is often very slanted in the negative direction. That's not to say CA doesn't have it's own issues, like every state does. I simply find the pros well outweigh the cons and therefore can fully enjoy it.

Derek[/quote]

The ranters are dutifully hitting the bullet points they are instructed to hit, whether they are based in any facts or logic. Just repeating what they hear. On a mission to stir up **** in the CA forum, which is always Target #1.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
How does this happen -- every so often a thread starts and people are fighting about whether or not CA is a good place to live. There is no doubt that the quality of life in CA (and, again, I'm speaking only about the coastline of Southern CA) was much better decades ago, and some of us got tired of it all, and we left. I get homesick at times -- CA was my home for over 45 years -- but I'd be homesick for Florida if that had been my home for the same time. And there is little doubt that people in CA are enjoying it the way it is now (altho', gawd forgive me, I have no idea how that can be).

This is a big dispute that no one can win. So why do we do this? Don't we have anything more constructive to do or to say?

And as for the guy who posted that sunset in Monterey -- we have the same in Southern CA. Now I live in New Mexico -- and we have gorgeous sunrises and sunsets and rainbows (in a quantity that CA doesn't have) AND thunder and lightening that is out of this world. We live almost a mile up -- we have skies you can't beat. Almost everyday. (We also have water. LOL Sorry - I couldn't resist. LOL) Am I happy here? Yes and no. But I definitely wasn't happy in CA anymore. My quality of life is much here (I think). And I can visit CA at least a couple of times a year, and really have a good time, because I can leave when I've had it.

And in another six months or so, I'll get overwhelmingly homesick, I'll go for a vacation, and I'll remember all the reasons why I left.

There are LOTS of things to do in Southern CA. In so many ways, there is absolutely no other place on earth like CA. Now, if only the population could be cut in half . . . . There is NOTHING 'wrong' with CA -- it's ALL THE PEOPLE, CARS AND HOMES there (and, also, now the drought).

Oh, WTH, a good civilized fight is a good way to release tension. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Have at it! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL But, still, there are no winners in a dispute like this.
I just think you're putting too much emphasis on your nostalgia being somehow unique. Every region had a heyday. Detroit had a Golden Age. So did the rural Midwest. So did parts of New England.

I'm not going to fault you for it. Hell, I'm going to envy you for it.

I'm a Gen Xer and a transplant. But I really do appreciate the romanticism of what coastal CA was. I have The Beach Boys on my IPod. I've seen my fair share of Frankie and Annette movies.

But things change. And many aren't for the better. Appreciating what CA can still offer is easier for me. And that's fine.

Sounds like you lived American Graffiti. If I had I would struggle letting go too. But life is too short to completely immerse yourself on what was when you can still find good in the present.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sounds like you lived American Graffiti. If I had I would struggle letting go too. But life is too short to completely immerse yourself on what was when you can still find good in the present.
Actually, American Graffiti was filmed in downtown San Rafael and Petaluma, and both areas are just as nice today as they were when the movie was filmed.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
Perfect weather, decent sized cities, interesting geography, progressive, and a powerful state. All I hear is how high the cost of living it is there, but I would expect it due to California being the most desired state in the country. Here in Tn, we do not have anything but bad weather, football, and church. I was born and raised here and I have seen so many transplants from California move here. My first question is why the **** would you leave Cali for Tn?
I'm from Knoxville. TRUST ME, leave Tn that you may complain about (legitly, lots of backwardness, it's not perfect like everywhere else), and after six months of living here you'll be on the first plane back.

Perfect weather IS NOT worth paying a 400% premium to live here. I promise you.

You're from middle TN, not East. But I can assure you, as someone who moved here, take away the beaches and cliffs, and TN is every bit, if not more, beautiful than here.

Saying that, good luck and I wish you well out here! LA is an amazing experience. But it's like a love affair: something indescribable, but doesn't last forever. Reality sinks in.

As a fellow Tennessean, trust me

Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Actually, American Graffiti was filmed in downtown San Rafael and Petaluma, and both areas are just as nice today as they were when the movie was filmed.
Yeah, it's like a complete paradigm shift for some who lived the majority of their lives in CA's larger metro areas that there still are places like this. Place which haven't changed much in decades, where population growth is basically flat IN Ca!

We moved from coastal LA for many of the same reasons others leave CA including overcrowding, over development, traffic, lack of wide open spaces, sometimes difficult job market, smog (though not so much on the coast), high costs, etc... After living in CO for a while, I knew we needed to return to the coast.

After researching areas thoroughly, we decided to give Monterey a try. For us, its like a throwback in time to a more laidback, fun time in SoCal, before the population explosion and over development of the land. While not perfect, its definitely a nice place to call home and raise a family.

We have family originally from OC who eventually migrated north as well to Santa Rosa and Petaluma. Other family members moved to Santa Maria. There are some who even headed further north to the Portland area. All are enjoying their different paced lives and environments from the Southland (LA/OC/SD) which was our home growing up. Yes, it has changed a lot. So I understand why that reality is somewhat depressing for some. The nostalgia part is still there because it really was an awesome place and time to be there. In those cases its sometimes better to let others come in who never experienced those times and can enjoy it as it is today. But there are many other nice places to explore within the state itself. Still, some want to go further for other reasons which for them are more important.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-13-2015 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 09:51 PM

94 posts, read 147,570 times
It doesn't feel like an American state.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
This depends on two major factors:
1. Your perception of America (e.g. melting pot vs. WASP).
2. Which part of CA you are referring to. Remember, its a big state which varies quite a bit.

If you grow up in an international city like LA, 'foreigners' are a normal part of everyday life. So when our family moved to CO, its was culture shock for us there to the other extreme - white bread city. drive the neighborhoods and all the gardeners are white. Go to the Golden Arches or Mexican restaurants and the cooks are all white. Construction site, the same. Where I worked in a large company, there was maybe one Hispanic and one black person. For us, coming from LA, that was very odd due to the lack of diversity, a bit too homogeneous.

CA does have some areas which are very homogeneous from mostly white to mostly Asian to mostly Hispanic depending on your point of reference. Where we're at in Monterey it's definitely an international city, even though small. Though CD says 70% white, I notice many more races than that. Granted, their statistic is dated. Its a huge difference from Colorado Springs for the better for us!

All that said, I wouldn't use that as a primary reason/excuse to move to another state. I just prefer more diversity overall.

Derek

Old 08-13-2015, 11:04 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
Ain't that the truth.

I'm gone from this hell ASAP, and will miss the diversity, for sure.

But, yeah, this isn't Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California