Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:55 PM

8,347 posts, read 6,441,137 times

Advertisements

The Exon Refinery in Torrence had a explosion last Febuary and would be back in operation if it wasen't for regulators won't allow them to use a old pollution control unit they have.
Also the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Enviromental Protection Agency, and the Chemical Safety Board are holding up allowing them to produce gasoline.
LA Times

Moderator cut: Political Comments Removed

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-26-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 PM

368 posts, read 413,600 times
California oil refineries' gross profits nearly double in 2015 - LA Times

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,460,310 times
And the price for a barrel of oil went under $50 today. You'd think the prices would go down.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,128,501 times
It is frustrating that our gas prices are spiking while the rest of the country is in the low to mid $2 range

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,046,701 times
Damn whiners, they should be shot using our 2nd ammendment rights! (joke, obviously)

Seriously, concerning the "old pollution control unit" - a comprehensive law on air pollution was passed OVER THIRTY YEARS AGO to limit air pollution by refineries. Refineries were 'exempted' from having to do immediate upgrades of existing installations to meet the new standards, but were required to comply when building new units or doing major revisions of old units. So what did the refineries do? Stop building new units and over the years they closed a bunch of units that needed major work so that they wouldn't have to pay for the clean-air upgrades. So now all the refining is centered in fewer plants, which are running at over 95% capacity, on very old equipment.

It's a GOOD THING that they are requiring the refinery to comply to the decades-old law. Heck, after 30 years, they need a new law that says - "you've had over 30 years to comply, all refineries must comply within 2 years or they get shut down. Oh, and we are going to build a pipeline so we can buy Mexican gasoline, and not get shafted by you duopolists anymore when you pull the old 'hey, my poor old plant is broken, I have to raise prices' because of supposed supply and demand issues ".

Last edited by marcopolo666; 07-23-2015 at 02:46 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 AM

94 posts, read 147,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Pretty much. If people want to stop getting gouged- predictably so in the summer-they can always drive less, get a more efficient vehicle, use public transit or ride a bike. Or they could also shut their gaping pie holes and recognize obvious market manipulation, but whining is what most of them live for, so that's not gonna happen.
It's people like you that is making this state go down the toilet. "Oh the gas prices increased? I'll just a buy a new prius. Derp Herp!" Funny thing is you recognize that there is a market manipulation, but you still bend over and take it deep.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,399,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Exon Refinery in Torrence had a explosion last Febuary and would be back in operation if it wasen't for regulators won't allow them to use a old pollution control unit they have.
Also the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Enviromental Protection Agency, and the Chemical Safety Board are holding up allowing them to produce gasoline.
LA Times
All this is Democrat party nonsence.
Keep on voting for Democrats!

Maybe you should consider driving a hybrid instead of that V8 Vega.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,567,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
It's people like you that is making this state go down the toilet. "Oh the gas prices increased? I'll just a buy a new prius. Derp Herp!" Funny thing is you recognize that there is a market manipulation, but you still bend over and take it deep.
And it's people like you who make this forum so amusing. My response to obvious market manipulation is decreasing my personal demand and doing what I can to minimize the unjust enrichment of crooks. Your response is..?

Last edited by nslander; 07-23-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,333,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldzero View Post
As opposed to your way of life: Never such a thing as too much smog if I can buy gas for my F-350 at $2.00 a gallon. All that savings can go toward paying for my lung cancer in 20 years.

You see, some people are able to see beyond the nose on our face. That's something a surprisingly small number of Americans are capable of doing, apparently. But it's the beautiful thing about America. LOTS of states out there with priorities that suit any American. Might I suggest Texas, North Dakota, Montana or Oklahoma as starters for folks who could care less about air quality and just want cheap gas. Cheap real estate, too, and the Walmarts are extra big!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,933,408 times
Driving up fuel prices hurts every one ,transportation costs drive up goods and services inflating the dollar.
And it is not as though there were no pollution controls in operstion it's just that the up the standard for some one else to make a buck on the deal, it doesn't actually change any thing .
Some pollution control requirements only allow for so many hours on an engine, but it's a blanket number, so no matter how well the engine has been cared for, and there are no signs of excess pollution compared to a new engine the EPA does not differentiate or recognize this.
It's a typical democrat lazy law.
I've seen these laws all my life here, so it's nothing new.
Kind of like gun laws, if a few are irresponsible then out law it for every one, rather then enforcing existing laws.
It is the liberals that established the insanity plea, getting thousands off death row.
Whether a person is sane or not should make no difference .
Other wise the deturant to murder is washed out.
Democrats figured out a slick way to protect their criminal children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California