Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:23 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

While it is easy to point out qualitative measures when comparing two places, it is very difficult to measure things subjectively.

I really like both cities, and I know I'm in the minority of that department when it comes to Fresno.

However, I find Fresno to be FAR more interesting than Sacramento. It's also cheaper, easily uglier, not as big, further from the Bay (but closer to LA), has a worse job market, and has a host of other problems. But it works for some people. Some people even like it, and this OP could very possibly like it.

Fresno metro is less than half the size of Sacramento metro. They aren't easily compared. It's obvious that Sacramento will win by most measures.

One could easily split the difference and live between the two in Modesto (in an even smaller area, but it still provides access to both, along with the Bay).

Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
It's too bad Fresno is not close to anything, most of the nice things are at least 3 hours away or further which is like a 7 hour round trip (except for the National Parks).

Fresno airport has next to zero non-stop flights to national destinations, most national flights require a flight to LA, SF, or you have to drive to either SJ, SAC, LA or SF airports which is NOT a short drive, near 3 hours one way give or take.

Of the largest cities in Calif. it has the worst weather. Of the largest cities in Calif. the worst economy, and Fresno is below national averages on most economic and educational indicators.

But before moving out of California, I would consider a move to Fresno for the attributes it does have.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-31-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 02:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It's too bad Fresno is not close to anything, most of the nice things are at least 3 hours away or further which is like a 7 hour round trip (except for the National Parks).
That's not enough?

Oh, and you know what old time Bay Area people call Sacramento... "Excremento". Whatever, anything between the coast range and the Sierra kind of sucks.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 PM

BTW, I love the Central Valley there are some great smaller towns and not so smaller towns:

Davis, Chico, Woodland, Turlock, Visalia, Merced, Redding, Modesto.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
i rather pay 500K in antioch, brentwood, discovery bay. heck even fairfield, vacaville is closer. why even go to sacramento. sacramento once had that same bragging rights when the homes were as low as fresno, but not anymore. thats a good thing for those who invested before obviously.

like i said no one is taking away anything from sac that they do have a certain amenities fresno still doesnt have, but for $200K price difference they sure as hell better. which again leads to why even drive that far if you dont need to when you can still get those kind of homes in suburban setting in the eastbay. or closer like vacaville or fairfield.
Your are missing something. Many People are moving to Sacramento because they actually like it better than the Bay Area, not just because of prices. They like it better than antioch, brentwood, discovery bay, fairfield, vacaville, even Silicon Valley cities.

Believe it or not, people like the Central Valley and they like Sacramento.

I would much rather live in Sacramento, because it is Sacramento; it's blend of NorCal/Central Valley culture and because of its size. I like Sacramento because it is closer to Tahoe, Reno, Sierras, Cascades, Northern Cal features, than the Bay Area. I like Sacramento because of it's proximity to the Bay Area, but not officially being part of the Bay Area.

But trust me, I know for a fact, I enjoy more things and places in the Bay Area than some of my Bay Area friends and family. If I were just another 30mins to 1hr further away, I seriously doubt I would enjoy Bay Area amenities as much as I do.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Same here I love living in the Central Valley even though it's not some people's cup of tea,but i'm happy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
BTW, I love the Central Valley there are some great smaller towns and not so smaller towns:

Davis, Chico, Woodland, Turlock, Visalia, Merced, Redding, Modesto.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
While it is easy to point out qualitative measures when comparing two places, it is very difficult to measure things subjectively.

I really like both cities, and I know I'm in the minority of that department when it comes to Fresno.

However, I find Fresno to be FAR more interesting than Sacramento. It's also cheaper, easily uglier, not as big, further from the Bay (but closer to LA), has a worse job market, and has a host of other problems. But it works for some people. Some people even like it, and this OP could very possibly like it.

Fresno metro is less than half the size of Sacramento metro. They aren't easily compared. It's obvious that Sacramento will win by most measures.

One could easily split the difference and live between the two in Modesto (in an even smaller area, but it still provides access to both, along with the Bay).
How exactly do you find Fresno more interesting than Sac?

Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 PM

Ya, Sac is pretty darn modest and there is absolutely nothing pretentious about Sacramento.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
How exactly do you find Fresno more interesting than Sac?
It's more real, more modest.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:18 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's more real, more modest.
So you mean more gritty and not as polished? I mean you can pretty much find everything Fresno has in Sac.

But Sac has a few things Fresno lacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California