Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Its over the top because SLO is a college town more than anything else. That is its prime identity. Those things you describe are common to college towns. SLO also has the reputation for being "the Happiest Town in America." A title well applied. So the solution to enjoying its remarkable ambiance is to not live as a retiree in the collge and adjacent neighborhoods. And there's also Morro Bay and Los Osos and Cayucos even closer than Pismo, Avila, and Arroyo. Morro and Los Osos are very retirement demographic, and within 12 miles of central SLO and as such they are as close as lots of Portland neighborhoods to their downtown.

But agreed on Carmel and Monterey having even more of what the OP described as interests.
Stanley's Owl, not being able to admit when you are wrong demonstrates a character flaw. The City Data website only allows a poster to quote from one previous post by one individual. So above I have quoted the single post that most obviously shows you are wrong --- but there are others.

Look up and read the second to last sentence of your first paragraph, quoted above. You stated:

"And there's also Morro Bay and Los Osos and Cayucos even closer (to SLO) than Pismo, Avila and, Arroyo."

You were flat out wrong, and you need to admit that, instead of wasting readers time with your inaccurate statements. Avila is MUCH closer to SLO then Cayucos. It's not even close. Anyone who lives in the area --- as opposed to an outsider who is looking at map sites, direction sites, or other Internet sites --- knows that. By the way Avila to SLO is also a significantly quicker trip than Los Osos to SLO ---- you were wrong about that as well. It's a quick trip down 101 to Avila. You don't have to worry about stop lights and the slower going like you do on the trip to Los Osos. (And don't even get me started on your ridiculous claim that Los Osos would be a better place to retire to than Shell Beach for a successful 70-year-old couple coming from Portland. Anyone who knows this area well will laugh at your claim. I read your attempted explanation; it's weak.) This forum is designed to allow persons moving to the area to make informed decisions re what town they want to live in. By trying to steer them to Los Osos over Shell Beach or Avila Beach you are doing them a disservice.

And by the way no long-term resident of South County (or SLO or North County) uses "Arroyo" as a short version of Arroyo Grande. They say "AG". Your use of the wrong term in the quote above is suspicious.

You hinted in an earlier post that you live in the San Luis Obispo area, but you never said where, and you never said whether you are you a homeowner or a renter. You need to tell the readers what town you live in, and whether you are a renter or homeowner, so they have adequate information to assess the weight and credibility of the unusual claims you've made in your posts. I already put my cards on the table in my original post when I said I was a homeowner in San Luis Obispo for years (until very recently). You should do the same.

There are a still a few nice neighborhoods in SLO that are not yet dominated by a young renters, for example the Country Club area in the far south of town, and the top of Highland Drive and the neighboring streets in the north. Those would be good choices for the OP, if he and his wife have their heart set on SLO, to the exclusion of all other towns. (I'm not recommending that.) But if they look in SLO they need to be very careful with their research to make sure they are not moving into an area dominated by young renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 PM

911 posts, read 590,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Coaster View Post
Stanley's Owl, not being able to admit when you are wrong demonstrates a character flaw. The City Data website only allows a poster to quote from one previous post by one individual. So above I have quoted the single post that most obviously shows you are wrong --- but there are others.

Look up and read the second to last sentence of your first paragraph, quoted above. You stated:

"And there's also Morro Bay and Los Osos and Cayucos even closer (to SLO) than Pismo, Avila and, Arroyo."

You were flat out wrong, and you need to admit that, instead of wasting readers time with your inaccurate statements. Avila is MUCH closer to SLO then Cayucos. It's not even close. Anyone who lives in the area --- as opposed to an outsider who is looking at map sites, direction sites, or other Internet sites --- knows that. By the way Avila to SLO is also a significantly quicker trip than Los Osos to SLO ---- you were wrong about that as well. It's a quick trip down 101 to Avila. You don't have to worry about stop lights and the slower going like you do on the trip to Los Osos. (And don't even get me started on your ridiculous claim that Los Osos would be a better place to retire to than Shell Beach for a successful 70-year-old couple coming from Portland. Anyone who knows this area well will laugh at your claim. I read your attempted explanation; it's weak.) This forum is designed to allow persons moving to the area to make informed decisions re what town they want to live in. By trying to steer them to Los Osos over Shell Beach or Avila Beach you are doing them a disservice.

And by the way no long-term resident of South County (or SLO or North County) uses "Arroyo" as a short version of Arroyo Grande. They say "AG". Your use of the wrong term in the quote above is suspicious.

You hinted in an earlier post that you live in the San Luis Obispo area, but you neuver said where, and you never said whether you are you a homeowner or a renter. You need to tell the readers what town you live in, and whether you are a renter or homeowner, so they have adequate information to assess the weight and credibility of the unusual claims you've made in your posts. I already put my cards on the table in my original post when I said I was a homeowner in San Luis Obispo for years (until very recently). You should do the same.

There are a still a few nice neighborhoods in SLO that are not yet dominated by a young renters, for example the Country Club area in the far south of town, and the top of Highland Drive and the neighboring streets in the north. Those would be good choices for the OP, if he and his wife have their heart set on SLO, to the exclusion of all other towns. (I'm not recommending that.) But if they look in SLO they need to be very careful with their research to make sure they are not moving into an area dominated by young renters.
Interesting reply. Not sure how you can be so detailed and ignore or have missed the admission of error that was made. Here it is for your review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Edit: just went back and re read the post in question regarding mention of Cayucos distance ... and you are partly correct, That was a slip. In the next mention, it was excluded from the "within 12 miles" specification, but not separated from Morro Bay / Los Osos in the first generalization.
Cayucos was mentioned with Morro Bay and Los Osos as an example of nearby satellite communities - and it was an error to have not distinguished it from the other two's closer proximities to SLO. (That said, it is only a few miles further up the road.). As you can note in what followed - the statement of mileage (12 miles) Cayucos was not included. That is what was already pointed out in the "Edit" comment.

Ok. Other disagreements: the distances between SLO and Avila or Los Osos, or Morro Bay are essentially identical, depending slightly on where in each locale you start and arrive to and from. You are welcome to your opinion of traffic flow and timing between traveling 101 or LOVR road. Your experience is not shared. Also the trip from SLO to MB on 1 is an even easier snap, though probably a mile, or maybe even two (since you like exactness) longer, again depending on starting and arrivng points.

More: AG vs Arroyo? You must be joking? The OP isnt from the area. After reading a few posts the OP is likely to figure out abbreviations, such as SLO and AG, etc. Do you assume he had that front of mind the first couple times you mentioned it? Why did you spell out Arroyo Grande at all yourself? From the start why not use AG? Are you among the cadre that thinks the millions of Californians who use the term 'Cali' are also from away? (Some are. Some are *gasp* actual Californians!). How about San Franciscans who say 'Frisco'? Did you notice that I just mentioned LOVR road? Do you think the OP knows what that is? Most importantly, do you seriously think this kind of nit-picking is somehow important?

Now, as to "trying to steer them to Los Osos over Shell Beach or Avila Beach" - where do you get that? The topic is including options for living around the SLO area. You brought up your suggestions. StanleysOwl brought up a few others to consider. Are you a representative of the Pismo or Avila or 'Arroyo' or Shell Beach chambers of commerce? There wasn't any cheerleading, boostering, attempts to convince in favor of Los Osos or Morro Bay - nor any even hint of denigrating of Shell or Avila. In fact there was at least one compliment toward Shell Beach.

This forum is indeed, as you observed, a place for people to share information that others might use to make informed decisions. Other than the unintentional error of including Cayucos as being in the same distance category as the other communities mentioned (when it's all of about 4-6 miles of open highway further) - there isnt anything presented that isnt worthy of consideration for the OP, from either of us.

You find it laughable that 70-year-old retirees might enjoy kayaking, hiking, and birding around the more protected Bay side than living full exposure oceanfront? Really? Do you think 70-year-olds don't do those things? Have you ever walked with your binoculars and camera around the Morro Bay State Park boardwalk into the estuary at the state park marina? Or hiked around the boardwalk and sand trails of the Elfin Forest at the SE edge of the estuary by Los Osos? How about hiked through the annual monarch butterfly migration in the Montana de Oro forest and Morro Bay State Park? (Yes, the monarchs are also wonderful in Pismo. But Montana de Oro is a much larger venue for extensive hiking.) Hiked up Black Hill along the golf course for a good cardio work out? 70-year olds don't do those things? The Bay is FULL of 70-year olds. They kayak every day the wind isnt howling. Los Osos and Morro Bay town are loaded with 70-year-old residents and visitors alike. Do YOU really live in the area as you claim? How could you miss the fact of those communities demographics? Los Osos plus adjacent Baywood is roughly 26,000 people. Nearly 20% of whom are over 65. If you go to 45+ the % is 50% for crying out loud. Morro Bay's 10,000 residents? Even older. Do you think these 35,000 people mostly sit at home wishing they lived in Shell Beach? We love it here around the Bay. If we didnt we'd move to Pismo or Atascadero if not SLO. We 35,000 "laugh at YOUR claim" ... our communities aren't superior to Pismo et al. We are simply different. And the point of these threads is to share the range of options.

Let's see, what else? Ah, what town does StanleysOwl live in? As you point out, anyone can live anywhere and pretend to be knowledgeable. This is the anonymous internet, sir. Personal claims and anecdotes are pretty worthless, except as they are accompanied by verifiable information. What you have written about yourself is just as unknown as to truth. The value of what each of us has offered can be judged on verifiable content. It was perfectly appropriate for you to point out the error of Cayucos being further than the other two examples. Prfectly reasonable for me to have aknowledged the error in the manner of the "Edit." Other than this seriously minor misplacement, what other misrepresentations would you like to challenge? Fact is, the more seriously misleading comments here are that Los Osos and Morro Bay are somehow inferior towns. They arent. They are simply quite different than your preferences. And neither of us at this point knows what the OP thinks of the opportunities for the vibrant active-senior venues of the Bay communities.

As to "character flaws ... what do you think of posters who attack others over minor, unintentional errors admitted to - as if a heinous crime has been committed against humanity? Trite? Shallow? Or righteous?

Last edited by StanleysOwl; 05-17-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,409 times
StanleysOwl, Your repeated refusal to say where you live speaks volumes. Disclosing where you live allows others to see how much experience you really have in the areas you're talking about. However, I can take an educated guess from your lengthy posts. I'm guessing you've never lived in SLO. I have. I disclosed that in my very first post.

Re your latest attacks, actually I have done several of the recreational things you mentioned in your preferred area. However I've done far more recreational things in SLO, Pismo, AG, Shell Beach, Avila and the surrounding areas because they're much easier and faster to get to, and there's more things to do . And that's just recreational. When you add in all of the other quality of life things such as cultural, medical, dining, entertainment, beaches, walks and hikes, acedemic, etc, there's far more to do and enjoy --- for a 70 year old, 60 year old, 50-year-old, 40 year-old, or 30-year-old in the latter area.

Avila, Shell Beach, SLO, Pismo and AG form their own wonderful area. SLO, Shell Beach, Pismo and AG can be reached very quickly from the gated area of Avila adjacent to 101 ( which is where 80% of Avila residents live), because of the speed and ease of access of 101. Avila and Shell are perfectly centrally located to take advantage of the most things. Your preferred towns are not. And despite what your say in your posts, it's faster to get from Avila or even Shell Beach to SLO because of the speed of 101, and because of all the slowdowns on the west side of SLO, getting in and out of town, from Morro Bay, LosOsos or Baywood. All locals know that. The total distance doesn't matter; the driving times matter.

Your preferred towns ---Los Osos, Baywood and Morro Bay ---- form their own little area. It's a nice little area, but I strongly believe that the vast majority of longtime residents would agree with me, and disagree with you, regarding which of the two areas would be better for successful retirees from a large metropolitan area.

I disagree with most of your other claims but I'm out the door to enjoy a Saturday.

Last edited by Central Coaster; 05-20-2017 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 PM

911 posts, read 590,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Coaster View Post
StanleysOwl, Your repeated refusal to say where you live speaks volumes. Disclosing where you live allows others to see how much experience you really have in the areas you're talking about. However, I can take an educated guess from your lengthy posts. I'm guessing you've never lived in SLO. I have. I disclosed that in my very first post.

Re your latest attacks, actually I have done several of the recreational things you mentioned in your preferred area. However I've done far more recreational things in SLO, Pismo, AG, Shell Beach, Avila and the surrounding areas because they're much easier and faster to get to, and there's more things to do . And that's just recreational. When you add in all of the other quality of life things such as cultural, medical, dining, entertainment, beaches, walks and hikes, acedemic, etc, there's far more to do and enjoy --- for a 70 year old, 60 year old, 50-year-old, 40 year-old, or 30-year-old in the latter area.

Avila, Shell Beach, SLO, Pismo and AG form their own wonderful area. SLO, Shell Beach, Pismo and AG can be reached very quickly from the gated area of Avila adjacent to 101 ( which is where 80% of Avila residents live), because of the speed and ease of access of 101. Avila and Shell are perfectly centrally located to take advantage of the most things. Your preferred towns are not. And despite what your say in your posts, it's faster to get from Avila or even Shell Beach to SLO because of the speed of 101, and because of all the slowdowns on the west side of SLO, getting in and out of town, from Morro Bay, LosOsos or Baywood. All locals know that. The total distance doesn't matter; the driving times matter.

Your preferred towns ---Los Osos, Baywood and Morro Bay ---- form their own little area. It's a nice little area, but I strongly believe that the vast majority of longtime residents would agree with me, and disagree with you, regarding which of the two areas would be better for successful retirees from a large metropolitan area.

I disagree with most of your other claims but I'm out the door to enjoy a Saturday.
1. Anyone can say they live (or don't live) anywhere on an anonymous forum. Anecdotal personal representations are sometimes interesting to consider but ultimately meaningless.

2. No one "attacked" you in any way at all. All that happened was additional information to consider beyond your submissions was offered.

3. No one criticized your suggestions of Avila, Pismo, Shell, Arroyo. In fact they were complimented.

4. There is no traffic problem on LOVR or highway 1 to Los Osos or Morro Bay. At any time of day. A few blocks with lights in the shopping districts leaving SLO in the evening is nothing to navigate ... especially not for someone moving from a large city such as Portland.

5. SLO TO:
Avila - 10 miles
Los Osos - 11 miles
Shell Beach - 11 miles
Morro Bay - 13 miles
Arroyo Grande - 17 miles
Cayucos - 19 miles
No traffic issues for any of them ... all 50 mph + even in evening commute.

Less to the Avila gate? So what? Less from Foothills Blvd to Los Osos too. As was pointed out previously, distances vary depending on where in SLO one starts and where in the respective communities one arrives. This is a silly thing to argue. All these communities are within minutes of each other to SLO and for a Portland transplant - meaningless.

6. There was no preference promoted for Morro Bay or Los Osos. Couldn't care less where someone relocates. They were simply offered as additional considerations ... and identified as having alternate orientations of lifestyle. Which is true 100%.

7. There are nearly 50,000 people residing in Los Osos/BayWood, Morro Bay, Cayucos areas. Referring to them as a "joke" compared to the other alternates suggested is simply ignoring that all those 50,000 people have chosen to live where they do because they prefer it there - just as the residents who chose to stay in SLO, and those who live in Avila, Shell, Arroyo love where they live as well.

8. Meanwhile, SLO itself has the reputation of "America's Happiest City" for a reason. Not all areas are impacted negatively by student / rental housing.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:30 AM

215 posts, read 976,658 times
Cut to the chase .... Paradise = Cayucos :-D

Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 PM

67 posts, read 159,415 times
Thanks to all who replied to my original question. I appreciate the time and effort you took.

After a lot of thought and investigation, my wife and I have decided to stay put in Portland, OR. No, the weather is not as good as SLO, but it offers a great deal, and we have a lot invested here. Moving at close to 70 is not exactly the adventure it was at 25 -- at least not for us.

Again, thanks for all who helped. Live long and prosper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California