Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times

Advertisements

I am driving south from Wa state to California. I would really like to drive 101 all the way down.....but I know it is mainly 1-lane in each direction through Washington and Oregon(?).

I don't feel like getting tailgated for 1000 miles, so I will probably avoid the 1-lane sections of 101.

Can anyone tell me how much of 101 in California is more than 1-lane in each direction....it would be a BIG help to me!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,772 times
I don't know about Northern California, but US101 is definitely two-plus lanes each direction from Santa Rosa to Hollywood.

You will get tailgated in LA, however

Old 08-23-2017, 07:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
This Wikipedia article will tell you mile by mile where Route 101 in California is two lanes and where it is multiple lanes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._R..._in_California

In California, it's really a small portion of a very long road that is two lanes and, aside from traffic in certain areas, you shouldn't encounter many tailgaters.

Now, in Oregon, it's another story. Only a small portion is more than two lanes.

But frankly, having driven from Portland to Southern Calif. multiple times, I have to say that Oregon is the best (i.e., most scenic) part of the trip south on 101. So, I would NOT skip that part just to avoid tailgaters, unless you're on a tight schedule.

(Hwy 1 through Big Sur in California, when open, is also very scenic, but that's not the 101).

Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-23-2017, 07:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
Also, if you're planning to skip certain portions of the 101, pay close attention to how few routes there are to get over to the 5 from 101 in Oregon and much of Northern California.

It can take awhile to get to the 5 from the 101.

So, if you want freeway speeds all the way, you might want to just stick with the 5.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the information everyone.

I am not a very good driver and do not have a lot of patience for someone sitting right off my bumper when I am driving the speed limit. Probably will enter 101 right at the CA/OR border, see how it goes.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM

153 posts, read 200,669 times
Standard California traffic flow is probably 10-15 mph over the limit, especially in SoCal, traffic permitting. People drive faster the further south you go down the west coast.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Thanks for the information everyone.

I am not a very good driver and do not have a lot of patience for someone sitting right off my bumper when I am driving the speed limit. Probably will enter 101 right at the CA/OR border, see how it goes.
Get a bumper sticker that says "I brake for Tailgaters"

With that said, take 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City to make your transition from 5 to 101. And don't let a two lane road intimidate you. That Double Yellow line is most effective from a safety aspect. Head on collisions are usually caused by drunk or sleepy drivers which can happen on the four lane section of any highway

When I like to drive slow, I pay attention to what's behind me and pull over to allow passing. When I am driving fast I really appreciate people who pull over to allow passing.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 PM

242 posts, read 317,422 times
Check out AARoads to get an idea. Oregon & parts of Northern California are one lane in each direction. There are also some parts in CA where U.S. 101 is an expressway & not a full freeway. Most freeway sections of U.S. 101 (usually in urban areas) have a 65 MPH posted speed limit. While U.S. 101 does connect Greater Los Angeles to the San Francisco Bay Area, Interstate 5 is used as a bypass connection, as U.S. 101 still has to pass through the cities of the California Central Coast (Santa Barbara, Monterrey, etc). Interstate 5 has a 70 MPH posted speed limit through the Central Valley.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Oh man, I just moved from Crescent City, CA and know Hwy 101 well from there to Santa Rosa, and it's brutal along that stretch! It's mostly just 2 lane and you can encounter landslides, and the delays that come with them. Plus, it's really windy, as in get out the dramamine. And you won't have cell service for much of it. Honestly, you're on cliffs above the ocean with nowhere to go, or you're in bare mountain type roads with hills on either side of a two-lane road with bare mountains and rock slide danger.

The beauty isn't worth it.

Plus, the drive down I-5 from Grants Pass to Redding is really beautiful with snow-capped mountains and forests and Lake Shasta. But, the roads will be at least 2 lanes in both directions, and it will be really well maintained and you'll have cell service most of the way, and at least enough traffic so if you break down, you'll feel safe.

I've done both drives multiple times and I never intend to do that stretch of Hwy 101 again in my life.

If you want to see the giant redwoods, what you could do, is come down Hwy 101 from WA to Crescent City, CA, then take Hwy 199 from there to Grants Pass, OR, then catch I-5 south.

If you do this, you'll be right in the giant redwoods within 7 miles outside of Crescent City. Hwy 199 takes you right through Jedediah Smith Redwoods. If you DM me, I'll tell you my secret road just 7 miles outside of Crescent City or so, where you can walk on a nice hiking trail that isn't inundated by tourists, but is in the state park.

So, you can see the trees, but then head inland before the road turns insane.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Yeah, not too impressed with 101. I am done traveling south and agree, I-5 is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California