Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You are a far cry from a snob. I've mostly seen you post rational thoughts that don't lean towards the haters or the rainbow wavers. Just the facts as they exist.
Thanks.

I am a spelling snob, though. Some people hate me for that. But I don't think calling people out for not knowing the difference between "then" and "than" to be unreasonable. Others would disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Kids these days, am I right?! (Pssst: lower divorce rates, lower violent crime rates, lower abortion rates, lower drug use rates than Baby Boomers). .
The lower divorce rates among Millennials are because more than 1/2 of them who have kids in their 20s are having them outside of marriage. Basically, the divorce rate has dropped because the people who were most likely to divorce now no longer bother to get married. Not an improvement, IMO.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Every time I see someone saying that, it's just because they're subconsciously jealous that they can't afford to be there.

We all know why CA is expensive: it's a very desirable place to live and that drives demand. But supply of housing won't ever keep up because land is finite... and there are other limitations like mountains, local zoning rules, etc.. So it's always a lose-lose for housing costs keeping steady when demand is sky high.

The haters are just ignoring simple free market economics as far as I know.
No, actually we don't have anything resembling a free market in housing in CA precisely because of those overly restrictive zoning laws that you've mentioned. I guess you've never heard of NIMBYs.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I don't believe red tape is the problem.
Then clearly, you've been living under a rock. Plenty of the liberal media outlets have mentioned the restrictive zoning issue over the last few years. This from those right wing nut job propagandists at the New York times:

The extreme rise in housing costs has emerged as a threat to the state’s future economy and its quality of life. ......

... the churning economy has run up against 30 years of resistance to the kind of development experts say is urgently needed. California has always been a desirable place to live and over the decades has gone through periodic spasms of high housing costs, but officials say the combination of a booming economy and the lack of construction of homes and apartments have combined to make this the worst housing crisis here in memory......

Despite having some of the highest wages in the nation, the state also has the highest adjusted poverty rate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...ng-crisis.html

Old 12-04-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
They voted for them. I don't think the polls are rigged at all. What is rigged is the options the voters have to choose from, and that is a nationwide problem.
I think it's both.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The mainstream media is so immensely biased and slanted toward the positions that any sane person would see through it. Have people not learned critical thinking? The media uses constant fallacies to spin things as they see fit and they no longer even try to hide it as they once did.

Just a very few examples of WaPo chicanery (this is journalism?):

Trump says that X is the case. It isn't.

Trump’s dishonest rant about his Charlottesville comments

Trump puts a fine point on it: He sides with the alt-right in Charlottesville

Every country on the planet has embraced the Paris pact. Except one.

The latest terrible GOP plan to ruin Obamacare

Trump is totally clueless on health care. The last 24 hours proved it.
Even liberal media types like Naomi Wolf are saying similar things about mainstream media. See 9:00 in this video (although the whole thing is worth watching:

"We need the free press to ask questions, the kinds of questions they used to ask, independently verifying what the State Department says, what the White House says. By and large the press in America has stopped doing that".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKEpo93Txs

Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
restrictive zoning issue over the last few years.
the problem is that everybody wants to live in the most desirable places. there are a lot of land available crying for developers, businesses and residents like California City, the Antelope Valley. these places are already laid out. the only thing missing are new residents or businesses but like I said, everybody want to live in the most desirable places and whine when they couldn't find affordable places to live.

why blame the restrictive policies of cities? if those policies have been in place before, it only means the residents approved them

Old 12-04-2017, 01:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the problem is that everybody wants to live in the most desirable places. there are a lot of land available crying for developers, businesses and residents like California City, the Antelope Valley. these places are already laid out. the only thing missing are new residents or businesses but like I said, everybody want to live in the most desirable places and whine when they couldn't find affordable places to live.

why blame the restrictive policies of cities? if those policies have been in place before, it only means the residents approved them
And the majority still do and in the US the majority vote wins.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, actually we don't have anything resembling a free market in housing in CA precisely because of those overly restrictive zoning laws that you've mentioned. I guess you've never heard of NIMBYs.
Oh no, I know all about NIMBYs and zoning issues. The only problem? Zoning rules and thus housing won't ever react fast enough to the amount of people who will want to move there... hence the high prices.

Last edited by man4857; 12-04-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 04:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Can't beat the weather in Cali. No other weather better in the US except for maybe Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California