Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Housing wouldn't be a problem if nobody wanted to live here. But, the demand has always been there and likely always will be.

Pretty much the only big factor keeping people from moving here is the cost of housing. So, let's say a bunch of new units are built and so the supply actually meets or exceeds demand for a minute. What do you think would happen? No more people would move to CA so the problem is solved forever?

Laugh really loud.
Honestly it would depend on how many new jobs were created, no one would move somewhere without a job or potential job, that would be stupid. So if the supply of new housing outpaces new jobs, then supply could catch up to demand a good bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Honestly it would depend on how many new jobs were created, no one would move somewhere without a job or potential job, that would be stupid. So if the supply of new housing outpaces new jobs, then supply could catch up to demand a good bit
The building pace would have to be three times the pace of the bubble days. It’s not gonna happen. There isn’t enough to ramp up construction. It’s not just building the house. There needs to be roads built utilities allocated gas and the materials to build these houses. So production of lumber copper wire and piping glass cabinetry etc would need to be ramped up to meet demand.
A politician hammering about building enough houses to meet demand is simply talkingnout if their ass like they usually do. It’s nothing but lip service to make voters feel good.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it sounds like a lot of local construction workers got into other fields during the housing crash , which makes sense . Or they probably moved away . Keep hearing there are labor shortages and it’s hard to find decent contractors now too .

Tony V promised us he would plant a million trees as Mayor but we only got like 407,000..

Trees are a lot easier to plant than building a house .

L.A.'s million trees, more or less - latimes

I know a lot of guys who got out of it. The ones that stayed are all 10 years older. I know I won’t go back to doing field work in a worker capacity. I’ll do the walk with plans stuff. Construction beats your body up pretty badly. It’s heavy labor and it’s not rewarding in most cases. Companies are having to give someone me good concessions to get people. I got hit up to take a job. I told the guy it’s gonna take 130k a year for me to consider it.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-08-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
For those that have never lived high up in a condo tower, referring to it as cramped living, you're overlooking the delusion of spaciousness.

I once had a 2 bedroom unit on the 38th floor of a high rise in Minneapolis, with floor to ceiling windows, and I never felt cooped up or cramped living there as the views make it appear that you're living in a much larger space. I could see 30 miles to the south, watch the storms arrive in the city from the west, couldn't hear the sirens, and there were mornings the fog was below my windows. A never ending show! And at night, my bed up against the glass windows, the lights are absolutely mesmerizing.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The building pace would have to be three times the pace of the bubble days. It’s not gonna happen. There isn’t enough to ramp up construction. It’s not just building the house. There needs to be roads built utilities allocated gas and the materials to build these houses. So production of lumber copper wire and piping glass cabinetry etc would need to be ramped up to meet demand.
A politician hammering about building enough houses to meet demand is simply talkingnout if their ass like they usually do. It’s nothing but lip service to make voters feel good.
Yeah. The only politician I'd probably listen to about construction is Trump. But of course they aren't going to ask for his advice.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Yeah. The only politician I'd probably listen to about construction is Trump. But of course they aren't going to ask for his advice.
Well, he's not exactly a great business model, with all the lawsuits and unpaid contractors, failed developments and oh yeah, bankruptcies.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Yeah , of course the promise of “affordable housing “ is attractive to voters . They can’t tell people the truth of course . CA is a high demand and attractive state and it’ll never be affordable for everyone .

We see it here in L.A with Mayor Garcetti saying “L.A should be affordable for everyone no matter what their income “ this is a dangerous thing to say especially since CA already has the highest poverty rate when you adjust for cost of living.

We have a huge homeless population too I don’t think we should be encouraging more people to move here if they aren’t able to afford it .
Never be affordable to anyone:

https://goo.gl/images/ye92eg

https://goo.gl/images/wCa7oe

Okay. It was before.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Never be affordable to anyone:

https://goo.gl/images/ye92eg

https://goo.gl/images/wCa7oe

Okay. It was before.
If we could only find a time machine and go back in time and buy property in CA cheap right?

Of course you have to multiply for inflation too . Of course CA housing especially in SoCal and the Bay Area has exceeded inflation .

The population was much lower and there was more available space can’t compare it to today .
Central Valley of CA is still pretty affordable .

Of course there’s still open land there .

Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
If we could only find a time machine and go back in time and buy property in CA cheap right?

Of course you have to multiply for inflation too . Of course CA housing especially in SoCal and the Bay Area has exceeded inflation .

The population was much lower and there was more available space can’t compare it to today .
Central Valley of CA is still pretty affordable .

Of course there’s still open land there .
Multiplying for inflation it’s 100k. Also the Central Valley is a hellish landscape of hillbillies and rednecks with toxic air and terrible heat.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Surprise surprise, the usual suspects coming in to say...what? Nothing can be done so let's not try? Single family homes with big yards as far as the eye can see (and somehow affordable)? Increasing supply to meet demand won't moderate prices? No one is living in skyscrapers in SF or LA? Then why are some of the most expensive areas of the state the high-rise districts, maybe because there is unmet demand for living in a proper urban area?

Can you guys ever come up with solutions instead of mindless bitching? Your solutions to the housing crisis: widen freeways, don't build skyscrapers because people only want single family homes, don't ease development restrictions, and don't build anything because it's going to be too expensive to buy anyways. Great stuff lol.

Removing parking minimums is a good place to start:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...housing-crisis
Parking minimums are created due to heavy congestion due to parking shortage which is inevitable in a city which people have little alternative to driving in most cases. Traffic circling for parking and parking congestion causes pollution and result a hazardous situation should fire or other emergency exists also increases crime in neighboring residential areas.

Though I agree we should rethink how we do parking minimums. I.e instead of requiring parking on each property that are exclusive to those authorized to be on the property, nothing more frustrating to have empty but off limits parking spaces when people are circling for parking for blocks, we should make it minimum parking per city block based on the zoning, number of people, sq ft, units, etc. Parking that are available to everyone visiting, working, or residing in that block, for a fee that is not too extreme is acceptable for daily, weekly, or monthly use. The issue today is that in some parts of Los Angeles such as downtown LA there appears to be more parking spaces than people. In that case there is really no need to build private parking facilities on each property built there. But in other neighborhoods especially on the Westside there are so many properties or units barely have one parking space but there are often two or three cars per unit. Resulting in a constant traffic and parking nightmare as people circle the neighborhood at commute hours for parking. In this case it appears building those automated parking garages are the best solution to each block. So we can get the cars off the road quickly, it also makes the area more walking friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California