Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:25 PM

24 posts, read 130,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
huh?
freedom is freedom whether you wanna "think like everybody else" or not.
and if you think freedom is "quaint" .... wow. that's interesting.
and if you're not free, that's your issue. blame away but it aint the road to freedom.
Apparently you missed my point. I was commenting in reference to your statement: "The spirit of California is about FREEDOM." I sincerely wish that were so, but freedom and a spirit of freedom is hardly evident in our political climate today, hence my calling it quaint.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic rather than inflamatory. I'm sorry you didn't get it, but apparently "Soccersupporter" (above) read it the way I had intended.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,936,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchracer View Post
Apparently you missed my point. I was commenting in reference to your statement: "The spirit of California is about FREEDOM." I sincerely wish that were so, but freedom and a spirit of freedom is hardly evident in our political climate today, hence my calling it quaint.

My comment was meant to be sarcastic rather than inflamatory. I'm sorry you didn't get it, but apparently "Soccersupporter" (above) read it the way I had intended.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 PM

790 posts, read 4,021,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchracer View Post

No, i got what you were saying.
I quess that i feel that the spirit of a place is often something different from what's visible and obvious on the "outside". But whadda i know?
Peace

Last edited by rubyskye; 03-15-2008 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM

24 posts, read 130,695 times
Well, here's hoping that spirit is alive and kicking, despite outside appearances.

I recently fought a small contingent in my town on what I feel was a freedom related issue - something I almost can't believe someone would try to regulate - so that's still fresh in my mind.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:48 PM

756 posts, read 2,576,139 times
I've never heard it called "cali" except from california wannabees.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
I've never heard it called "cali" except from california wannabees.
In response to the "california wannabee" statement:

FYI, I never heard "The OC" until the producers of the show decided to call it that. The rest of us dumb, uneducated shmucks that live in the middle of cornfields and have missing teeth are accused of thinking "OC" is the "The OC" and that California is "Cali". Listen here, people that don't live in CA or California do NOT call it "Cali", nor do they think, say or write "Cali" in general usage. If anything, "Cali", in my opinion, is used in posts, blogs, instant messaging, etc., because in these venues, abbreviating and/or shortening names and words is not only acceptable, but is the norm.

P.S. - Gotta go now, it's pig sloppin' time. Yee-haw!

Last edited by Donna7; 03-17-2008 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 AM

272 posts, read 784,780 times
what ever....I still LOVE....

Khaliphornyah....

Just has such a nice 'ring' to it.....

Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,332,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
it's California, ok?
Yeah we love Cali too.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM

15 posts, read 64,289 times
i just figured only people outside of "cali" called it that.

it irritates me, personally. and you can call it "so cal" or "nor cal" if you want... but please PLEASE don't call us "cen cal."

it's just stupid.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM

398 posts, read 1,332,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliPeach View Post
But "Frisco".... NEVER!! (But I am not from San Francisco and I don't live in San Francisco, so I will leave that debate to those of you who are/do...)
"Frisco" is a street term made up from people in SF(Fillmore,Mission Disrict,Hunters Point,Potrero Hill,) that decided to call it that.Not yuppies,Its a street term like I said. Northern Cali is also used in by the 18-28 age group as well,to solidify what they call the Bay Area.It's just a different generation for alot of folks on this board to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California