Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,676 times

Advertisements

I'm a 35-yr-old singer/songwriter/actor/writer/visual artist/all-of-the-above-creative-freak from CT toying with the idea of moving to a "real city". NYC or LA?

Would anyone who's lived in NYC and LA (or anywhere nearby those two) like to compare the two? Are people more friendly in LA or NYC?

Any creative types who know LA or anywhere in CA have opinions about life as a creative type out there?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:57 PM

38,930 posts, read 22,931,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IV_XI_XI View Post
So glad this topic was brought up. I HATE when people say Cali. Usually it's friends from the midwest or back east that say it, thinking they're down with the local slang.
I don't particularly care for that myself. To me, it has negative connotations of Cali, Colombia, and all that implies.

You can also tell if someone you're speaking with isn't from the local area by the way he/she pronounces place names. A good example is San Pedro. Here in SoCal, we pronounce it San PEE-dro. Someone not from the area would pronounce it San PAY-dro (which is actually the correct Spanish pronunciation).

A couple of other good examples are two Long Beach street names, Ximeno Avenue and Junipero Avenue. The correct Spanish pronunciations would be hee-MEH-noh and hoo-NEE-peh-roh, respectively. The locals (me included, since I've lived here all my adult life) would say egg-ZEH-meh-noh and wah-nah-PEH-roh.

When I visited Nebraska several years ago, they could tell I wasn't from there by the way I tried pronouncing Pottawatomie.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,174,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeWhite View Post
I'm a 35-yr-old singer/songwriter/actor/writer/visual artist/all-of-the-above-creative-freak from CT toying with the idea of moving to a "real city". NYC or LA?

Would anyone who's lived in NYC and LA (or anywhere nearby those two) like to compare the two? Are people more friendly in LA or NYC?

Any creative types who know LA or anywhere in CA have opinions about life as a creative type out there?
On the surface New Yorkers are much ruder and more obnoxious, and LA people more ostentatiously carefree, creative, or weird. But in fact the odds of meeting a backstabber or a true friend are about the same in either place. Both attract creative people.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:05 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
But honestly, I could care less about what people call San Francisco though. If using "Frisco" pisses off the locals, I will start using it just to piŝŝ the snobby a--holes off.
And what exactly do you have against us?? Go ahead and call it "Frisco" if you'd like, but we have every right to roll our eyes at you for doing so... Doesn't make us that mad, just makes you look like a dumb tourist - LOL.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
So glad this topic was brought up. I HATE when people say Cali. Usually it's friends from the midwest or back east that say it, thinking they're down with the local slang.

Also when people San Diego by calling it Daygò. Daygò!? come on. San Diego is neither hardcore nor Italian, so stop calling it that.

But honestly, I could care less about what people call San Francisco though. If using "Frisco" pisses off the locals, I will start using it just to piŝŝ the snobby a--holes off.
Now ***** is one I've NEVER heard for San Diego.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
That was sung by a guy from Queens!

"Cali" is so East Coast!
I'm well aware of the song....lol....I was kidding around with the old guy.

"I'm goin back to Cali.... Cali.... CAli...I'm goin' back to Cali....I don't think so!! lol I think I was in High School when that song came out. At any rate I like to say Cali on the forum as it is shorter than typing out California all the time.

Wow....can't believe how many repsonses there were to this.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
What's amusing is what abbreviations take hold and which do not. No one has ever called Santa Monica SanMo, although a leading Californian writer so insisted.
Not correct! My girlfriend and I call it SanMo almost to the exclusion of anything else. A simple Google search would indicate that numerous others do too. Admittedly, it isn't as common an expression as NoHo or WeHo, but it is out there and being used.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:48 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,495,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Now ***** is one I've NEVER heard for San Diego.
It's very common. there is a biker gang called '**** Mob'

Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 722,075 times
the City is NYC,
DUMBO, is "down under the manhattan bridge overpass",
'Town" is Philadelphia,
lots of easterners say Cali,
NoHo,BOHO, Soho, Nolita...

some New Jerseyans don't like it when people say 'Jersey'
who cares? more important things in the world,
IMHO.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,925,124 times
Quote:
NoHo,BOHO, Soho, Nolita..
I lived in CA and heard, Cali, Kali, SoCal, and even California, but I've never heard those. I've heard surfer-types use the term 'Cali'. It sounds retarded.
I think I go eat a HoHo now and wash it down with a Yahoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California