Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:27 PM

587 posts, read 443,844 times

Advertisements

I never wanted a 6 bedroom, 5,200 square foot house! We are happy with our small home less than a mile from the beach and in a very walkable area. Different people want different things. Many of us that love living near the beach in SoCal can do with less because what we gain in coastal living is well worth it to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM

237 posts, read 411,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The OP didn't mention beaches. If he'd said, "Where are the beaches better, by XYZ criteria, than they are in SoCal?", then the Gulf would no doubt have come up.

In fact, we don't know anything about the OP other than that he loves SoCal but wants to live in a bigger house. It would be helpful to know what specific aspects of the area he really likes. Is the beach? the weather? the amenities? The fact that he even mentioned Prescott, AZ and Bend, OR implies that the beach is not vital.

Let me fill in a few details.

I've spent about 12 years in Mission Viejo renting.

I realize I can never afford a house here, I'm a single income household, and even if I was at my career peak earning of before the recession (about $100K) I couldn't afford a house in MV.

I could be happy with a townhouse or condo, if I could find one that wasn't build the way they are here. The communities are like tunnels of concrete, for lack of a better description. The apartment I'm in now has better site planning that most high density places in the area.

And truth is, I'm getting priced out of those too. Haven't had a raise in 8 years. Just the way it is in my part of the industry I'm in.

What do I like about the place. The usuals. Amazingly good weather, low crime, nice people, good shopping, etc. MV is just a nice place to live, even if it is somewhat high density.

I've lived across the country having to go where the work was. This is the only place I came back to intentionally. I came back with the idea of making it "home", but I just can't find a way to earn the $$$ that I can actually do or make myself do.

So it's come down to having to figure out where to go to.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Yeah, you can't afford a home in OC that you'd like. Maybe Temecula? Or (gasp) Hemet? You don't have to leave Southern California to find more affordable real estate than Southern Orange County. The beach is a lot closer to communities in Riverside County than it is to Phoenix or Las Vegas.
I did looked all over Riverside when I came out here in 2006.

I got the impression I'd be unhappy out there. Seems to have all the negatives of Ca. and is minus some of the positives. But it is a lower cost housing market, to be sure.

I looked at Temucula and surround, Beaumont at one point, Murrieta, Lake Elsinore, etc.

Something just didn't feel right about it.

Here in MV, I feel like... "Yes I could spend the rest of my days here." (But I've had 12 years to be sure of it, LOL!) I don't get that feeling out in the Inland Empire. But it is a subjective thing. Not having lived out there, I could be 100% wrong.

With MV, for better or worse I've had the time living here to be sure of my feelings about the place.

Had to leave once at about the 5 year mark, to the midwest for work. I cried when I left. Came back a year later, first chance I got.

So I guess one could say I'm attached to the place.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Lol Sure dude.

Alabama Gulf Shores

Laguna Beach

The problem with the Alabama Gulf Coast is that it's flat as a pancake. There's no dramatic scenery like Big Sur or Torrey Pines.

Sure the white sand & different shades of color looks pretty nice, but to say the beaches are a lot better than CA is laughable. Also, those high-rises on AL Gulf Shores & Orange Beach look tacky as hell. Very Florida-esque.
I'm originally from SE Fla. LOL!

But yeah, AL isn't for me. Even if the beaches are great, 'Bama just ain't me. No offense to anyone that calls it home.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:58 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Not sure what field you’re in, but have you given any thought to San Diego county? While not much cheaper on a whole vs OC and LA, there’s still plenty of good value in the inland communities, more so than the aforementioned counties. While you might be 20 miles inland vs the 10 you are now, you’d probaly still get to the beach quicker here. If you haven’t already give it a look online, you might surprised. Good luck with your search, hopefully you find a way to stay.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Buy a starter house in Pacoima or other low house price area. Live there a few years as equity builds up, sell and get a better house in a better neighborhood. This is what people do.
I'm 55 and a little old for that.

Have gone broke about three times in life too, so at this point I just want to settle in somewhere for the duration and try to get to doing some of the things I want to do before I croak! LOL!

Although, if I croaked tonight, it might actually be a relief! LOL!

I wouldn't have to worry about this question.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Rebuttal

I'm just tired of having an army of posters, many who don't even live here, tell me I'm wrong that I'm happy as a clam in CA and that I should live somewhere else.
I'm with you on this, there are aspects of CA I don't care for... the "taxed everything" and "regulated everything" aspects naturally.

But all said, I'd be happy as a clam here, except the place I lease was bought a few years back by Irvine Corp... and I swear they are in my living space every few months... repiping, air filter changes, check the water meters, blah blah blah. No privacy at all, and they've made it like living in a construction zone constantly.

I'm a somewhat private person as far as my living space goes...

I mean, of I owned this unit and could lock the front door to outsiders (read that Irvine Corp maintenance folks) I'd live here forever if need be. Everything I need is in walking distance, and I just like it here.

I feel at peace here, except for my "digs", LOL!

For me, that's been a rare thing in this life.

Yes, I really, really want a large home... on a decent chunk of land. But I'll never have it here, that's to be sure.

There was a lot at the top of the hill over in Laguna Beach in "Top of the World"... last lot next to the cul-de-sac and the park... *That's* the spot I really wanted... never did price it... was definitely out of reach... someone finally built on it...

Anyway, I digress. Aside from my aggravation with Irvine Corp. (and to be honest MV gov't that's in here inspecting fire sprinklers and alarms every year, etc.) I just like it here. They're going to be in here next week to "do maintenance on the water meters"... It's just getting old being a "tenant" and other folks having "right of access"... That's not a home. It's a barracks or a stall or something... it's being a cow milked for rent.

Cried the first time I had to leave because of career. Came back when I could.

And the pressure is on to do something as the Property Management is telling me that end-of-lease they may choose to not renew as there are about 10% remaining units in here Irvine Corp. wants to refurbish or some such.

So like it or not I have to move in the next 12-14 months.

The question is where.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
1. yes. Millionaire x2. Except for the 5 days I work in a year, I'm retired. Most of that net worth accumulated in the last 3 years after moving. I can afford to not work in Atlanta and lead an upper middle class life in a 5200 sq ft house I bought, in California not so much. Couldn't have even bought a starter home.
How does one earn or obtain most of $2M in 3 years? *That* is an interesting question.

That said, Atlanta in definitely on my list of "never unless I'm starving" places.

I truly don't understand why anyone would want to live in places like Detriot, Atlanta, NYC, LA, and so on. (Any big, high crime city basically.)

Old 07-20-2018, 03:29 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
I'm with you on this, there are aspects of CA I don't care for... the "taxed everything" and "regulated everything" aspects naturally.

But all said, I'd be happy as a clam here, except the place I lease was bought a few years back by Irvine Corp... and I swear they are in my living space every few months... repiping, air filter changes, check the water meters, blah blah blah. No privacy at all, and they've made it like living in a construction zone constantly.

I'm a somewhat private person as far as my living space goes...

I mean, of I owned this unit and could lock the front door to outsiders (read that Irvine Corp maintenance folks) I'd live here forever if need be. Everything I need is in walking distance, and I just like it here.

I feel at peace here, except for my "digs", LOL!

For me, that's been a rare thing in this life.

Yes, I really, really want a large home... on a decent chunk of land. But I'll never have it here, that's to be sure.

There was a lot at the top of the hill over in Laguna Beach in "Top of the World"... last lot next to the cul-de-sac and the park... *That's* the spot I really wanted... never did price it... was definitely out of reach... someone finally built on it...

Anyway, I digress. Aside from my aggravation with Irvine Corp. (and to be honest MV gov't that's in here inspecting fire sprinklers and alarms every year, etc.) I just like it here. They're going to be in here next week to "do maintenance on the water meters"... It's just getting old being a "tenant" and other folks having "right of access"... That's not a home. It's a barracks or a stall or something... it's being a cow milked for rent.

Cried the first time I had to leave because of career. Came back when I could.

And the pressure is on to do something as the Property Management is telling me that end-of-lease they may choose to not renew as there are about 10% remaining units in here Irvine Corp. wants to refurbish or some such.

So like it or not I have to move in the next 12-14 months.

The question is where.
Is your rent being raised a lot every year? How much are you paying? I rented in HB a long time ago and my rent was raised100.00 every year. That's what pushed me to buy my condo. My friend lives in Foothill Ranch 1 bdrm apt for about 10 years. She's a great tenant and it dosn't matter a bit. She now pays 1800.00. Month. This is her max she has to move when her lease is up.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
You sound torn, since it seems that you want to stay in this general area, but you also have thoughts of owning a large home, but due to high local prices, that would have to be elsewhere.

I have a few "hard" questions. Since you are now 55 years old, have you considered how much labor and money could potentially be involved down the road in the maintenance of a large house on a big lot? Are you prepared for possibly ever-increasing property taxes on that spread?

Also, what is your budget? Have you searched to see if you could find a reasonably priced condo/townhouse so that you would not have to leave South County where, as in all of CA, property taxes are pretty much set?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California