Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Best Place to Raise a Family in California

According to this list:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ifornia/15993/

FOLSOM, CA it's a city in Sacramento County next to Folsom Lake and the American River, where the Sacramento Valley meets the Sierra Nevada Foothills.

Intel's Research & Development calls it home and infamous Folsom Prison.

It about 20 mins from downtown Sac and within 1/2 hour of the the high country of the Sierra Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Folsom has great schools, but it's very snobby, in my opinion. It's also not very diverse. And expensive.

So, if you can afford it, and you don't care about diversity (as in being around people who aren't white), it's a decent place to live.

It was way too beige for me. And by that, I mean literally. It's like there is some local ordinance that all housing developments must have beige colored houses, in lots of housing developments where all the houses look the same, other than the downtown area.

Give me the diversity and colorfulness of the SF Bay Area - or Sacramento - any day of the week over Folsom.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
If I'm reading this correctly, this is not the absolute wealthiest ranking, but the "Best Bang for Your Buck" category where there is, relatively, a little bit of moola. If so, I agree with #5, Aliso Viejo.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ifornia/15993/

Highest Median Family Income
(Adjusted for Cost of Living)

1. El Dorado Hills, CA
2. Folsom, CA
3. Danville, CA
4. San Ramon, CA
5. Aliso Viejo, CA

Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Folsom has great schools, but it's very snobby, in my opinion. It's also not very diverse. And expensive.

So, if you can afford it, and you don't care about diversity (as in being around people who aren't white), it's a decent place to live.

It was way too beige for me. And by that, I mean literally. It's like there is some local ordinance that all housing developments must have beige colored houses, in lots of housing developments where all the houses look the same, other than the downtown area.

Give me the diversity and colorfulness of the SF Bay Area - or Sacramento - any day of the week over Folsom.
I'm going to assume you yourself have lived there and experienced this snobbishness you speak of. Did you yourself or your kids experience this?

Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,247 times
These lists are about as useful as me telling you the best place to take your vacation, or the best food to eat, or the best way to spend your saturdays.

It's all highly subjective. The truth is, these lists are created for click-bait ad revenue.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:

Folsom is diverse. For example Folsom High is only about 60% white and 40% other races.

https://school-ratings.com/school_de...303433216.html

Also Folsom has a 31,000 sq. ft. 99 Ranch market. Its the premier Sacramento area destination for Asian groceries!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/99-ranch-market-folsom-folsom

Folsom is also low priced compared to the Bay area. One can get a small livable house for just over 500k.

Compare to almost 1.2 million for an apartment sized house in Santa Clara.

The only problem with Folsom is the summer heat!

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:35 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Best Place to Raise a Family in California

FOLSOM, CA it's a city in Sacramento County next to Folsom Lake and the American River, where the Sacramento Valley meets the Sierra Nevada Foothills..
And Folsom sits right below the 70-year old Folsom Dam!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:19 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
It's also not very diverse.

Folsom is 30% non-white. Sacramento County (where its located) is 50% non-white. How much more "diverse" do you need? Do whites need to be a minority? If that's the case you've made some really strange relocation choices during the time I've noticed you in the forums.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I'm going to assume you yourself have lived there and experienced this snobbishness you speak of. Did you yourself or your kids experience this?
Yes, I lived there for about a year and was glad to move. The person I lived with had a kid in high school there and the high school was beyond awesome. The city had just finished the state of the art performance theater on the high school campus the previous year. It's a very wealthy, well-funded school district. So, a great place to get your kid into - assuming you're okay with it being very white. I'm not sure the experience would be so great if you weren't white - as far as the kids go.

My friend's kid was extremely tall for his age, and the kids were really unkind to him - even though he was also white. So, I'm not sure it would be a welcoming place for kids who weren't rich and white.

I just know, that as a woman who was well-educated, but not from an ivy-league college, and not working at a high salary job, it was really uncomfortable for me as far as trying to fit in with the people in Folsom who were very much into their designer clothes and expensive haircuts and dye jobs and plastic surgery, etc.

Folsom is kind of like the L.A/Hollywood of northern CA, from my experience, as far as wealthy people who are shallow as far as needing to be beautiful and appear to be wealthy and dress in the clothing that is the popular style, etc.

The man I was involved with at the time worked for Apple, had filed for bankruptcy, was living on a shoestring - but was putting on airs that he was much more well-off then he really was. I found this to be the culture in Folsom. I didn't like it at all. I found most people to be very fake and all about appearances.

I would also expect the schools to be the same way, as far as how kids treat each other. I know my friend's kid really suffered from being different, and the only thing that was different about him was his unusual height.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Folsom is diverse. For example Folsom High is only about 60% white and 40% other races.

https://school-ratings.com/school_de...303433216.html

Also Folsom has a 31,000 sq. ft. 99 Ranch market. Its the premier Sacramento area destination for Asian groceries!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/99-ranch-market-folsom-folsom

Folsom is also low priced compared to the Bay area. One can get a small livable house for just over 500k.

Compare to almost 1.2 million for an apartment sized house in Santa Clara.

The only problem with Folsom is the summer heat!

"Only" 60% white. Look at the breakdown. 3% black. To me, this is a real indicator of real diversity.

That means that in a classroom of 30 kids, less than 1 kid (.9) is black. So, kids in Folsom probably don't have even 1 black kid in most of their classes.

There's 15% Asian kids. So, there might be 4 Asian kids in a classroom.

There might be 3 Hispanic kids at about 13% Hispanic.

This is not diverse. 60% white is not diverse.

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California