Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you vote on Prop 10 on rent control?
Yes 15 21.13%
No 56 78.87%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Read the proposition. The Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act, enacted in 1995, restricts cities’ ability to enact or expand rent control. State lawmakers make the decision. That's why this proposition is on the ballot: to overturn Costa-Hawkins and give those decisions to the cities.
Nonsense. I own a rental house. I’ve received notice that I have to pay fees from now on for the city to review my rent, if I raise rent more than 5%. It was enacted recently. If that’s not a form of rent control, then what is.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Prop 10 will not establish rent controls anywhere.

What a "yes" vote on Prop 10 does is restore local control of key housing decisions. If it passes, it will be up to local voters to decide what kind of regulations of rents they want, if they want any at all. Only then it will be the decision of those voters to adopt rent controls, or not. Period.
There was a time when schools were local control with local tax dollars and the Serrano Decision changed that to the State...

Costa Hawkins is State Wide with some Grandfathered exceptions and now those backing Prop 10 see this as a bad thing?

Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Nonsense. I own a rental house. I’ve received notice that I have to pay fees from now on for the city to review my rent, if I raise rent more than 5%. It was enacted recently. If that’s not a form of rent control, then what is.
So what happens if your utilities , gardener , maintaince people , etc go up more than 5%?

It’s the reality of things like this that these radicals don’t take into account .

Old 11-05-2018, 08:17 PM

What if your taxes go up more than 5% which is easy with ballot measures?

What if you need a new roof and the building department says no more shake so you must strip the roof and then put down sheathing etc... a 1700 square foot home with 40 year comp and permits is 28k... or exactly what the house/land cost new...

I still say lots of 1-4 properties are going to go owner occupied... that is my prediction.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:10 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

What if you need a new roof and the building department says no more shake so you must strip the roof and then put down sheathing etc... a 1700 square foot home with 40 year comp and permits is 28k... or exactly what the house/land cost new...

I still say lots of 1-4 properties are going to go owner occupied... that is my prediction.
Yeah there are so many variables and possibly expenses with owning property . Cap ex can really kill cash flow and that is something a lot of people don’t think about .

I could see 1-4 more going owner occupied but wondering how that would work .
Someone owns a 4 plea for example . The landlord is just going to take over the whole space ?
Or do you mean selling the property to say a family that is going to owner occupy it .

I know right now if you buy a 2-4 unit in L.A you can occupy one of the units owner occupied for yourself or I believe a close family member but you do still have to pay a relocation fee to the tenant .

Old 11-06-2018, 08:14 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah there are so many variables and possibly expenses with owning property . Cap ex can really kill cash flow and that is something a lot of people don’t think about .

Someone owns a 4 plea for example . The landlord is just going to take over the whole space ?
Or do you mean selling the property to say a family that is going to owner occupy it .

I know right now if you buy a 2-4 unit in L.A you can occupy one of the units owner occupied for yourself or I believe a close family member but you do still have to pay a relocation fee to the tenant .
Maybe say it is now a Condo and each unit is for sale?

Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I know several Asian families in the SF Bay Area that bought plexes and over time... all the units are owner/family occupied...

Old 11-06-2018, 12:37 PM

661 posts, read 691,801 times
Quote:
So what happens if your utilities , gardener , maintaince people , etc go up more than 5%?

It’s the reality of things like this that these radicals don’t take into account .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

My rent controlled building in Oakland had the ability to split major repairs like a roof between all tenant's rents, bypassing the usual controls on price increases. Laws can take into account a pretty good amount of nuance if written correctly.

Anyways, I actually did a last minute switcheroo on my Prop 10 vote and decided to go with Yes. I wouldn't necessarily vote for a poorly crafted measure in my local region but I can get behind letting localities decide.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:

They don’t care about that. As long as the tenant is protected

Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,852 times
I voted a BIG NO on Prop 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California