Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 10:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The cost of living being lower is only a myth based on NV not having an income tax, but when you add everything else into the equation, it more than makes up for the lack of income tax. People don't figure that out until they've moved though. You can't convince them otherwise.
I agree, it's not cheaper except for no state income tax. Las Vegas has cheaper housing but Northern Nevada is going through one of it's "boom" periods, this one driven by Tesla but the reality is the jobs at Tesla don't pay that much and the entire area sucks for good jobs unless you think that working in a warehouse for $13 an hour is a great gig.

The median home price in Reno is 400k and average rent for a 1 bdrm apartment is over $1100, rent is about the same in Sac but the median home price is 350k But here is the problem with Reno, the median household income is $48,815 and in Sacramento it's $64,052.

And unless they do something pretty soon Reno is going to be facing a big homeless problem. For decades most of the people who would otherwise be on the streets have been able to share a cheap weekly or monthly motel room, or an SRO. But now they are tearing down those old hotels and motels as fast as they can in their big push for 'revitalization', and displacing a whole lot of people many of them elderly or disabled.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
Quote:
Please, in all honesty, ask yourself who in California does the Republican Party appeal to?

The small business owner? ...OK, but only if he/she is not an immigrant, gay, or pro-choice.

Big business? ...Not with the level of workplace education and diversity you'll have in California.

The "elite" Republicans in Atherton, Hillsborough, Woodside and Los Altos (in Nor Cal) or Rancho Bernardo, Bradbury, Westlake Village and Rancho Palos Verde (in So Cal) are not numerous enough to actually swing an election.

So, the California GOP caters to the very narrow base of White/native-born Hispanic-American, blue collar, exurban, conservative, military-oriented, anti-choice, anti-gay voter. Basically, the "Archie Bunkers" of California who hate the state with a passion and vote with a grudge.

That's not a winning formula!
Gee I own a small business and I'm going to a lesbian wedding this weekend. I better cancel right away since I'm a Repub so obviously anti gay.

I don't hate the state I hate what's happening to the state

Old 11-26-2018, 10:59 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
People are not a monolith as presented here. I do not fit your profile nor does, for example, Peter Thiel, hardly blue collar. I left the Democratic Party many years ago. I believe in smaller, not bigger government and having parents from a communist makes me very aware of the direction we are going. We cannot be both an immigrant nation and a welfare state. The two are incompatible in my opinion and that of Milton Friedman.

I also detest identity politics and the politics of victimology.

Milton Friedman, eh?

Are you familiar with the Chicago School of Economics then?

I get what you're saying about "identity politics" and "victimology". I truly do. It's annoying. However, have a genuine look at Intersectionalism and Privilege and what that is. It does exist and can effect you, as a gay male, too. It's better to acknowledge it rather than deny it. You can dislike victimology and identity politics and also acknowledge that privilege does exist and that people do benefit from it in different ways.

Yes, the left needs to get past victimology, but the right needs to acknowledge the existence of privilege as well.

If we do both, we'll all be better for it.

As for us being an "immigrant nation", the right -- a la George W. Bush & Co. -- were completely fine with that as long as it meant cheap labor, low wages and a pool of workers to build, build, build...oh, that, and bust the organized labor groups!

Now that the immigrants are here and established, you can't just deny them access to the safety net. And you sure as hell can't justify tearing down the safety net because you resent that some of them use it.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Gee I own a small business and I'm going to a lesbian wedding this weekend. I better cancel right away since I'm a Repub so obviously anti gay.

I don't hate the state I hate what's happening to the state
You aren't the problem, the Republican party is. I know plenty of Republicans who don't have any racial animus or hatred toward gay people, but you get a jackwagon like John Cox running for governor who has publicly stated that homosexuality leads to bestiality and that we need charter schools to keep trans teachers out of our schools and you wonder why he lost? Pete Wilson got re-elected largely because of his support for prop 187 which was popular with a majority of Californians but over time as the state's minority population increased people blamed Pete Wilson and the Republican party for attempting to pass that piece of legislation. This won't stop at California, Republicans will lose more states unless they can abandon the identity politics and become more inclusive. My guess is that some of the Republican California legislators could have held their seat if they hadn't hitched their wagon to Trump.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Republican party has not decreased. The Democratic party has increased, way beyond how many members are allowed to vote.

Think about this. In Orange County, a heavy Republican favored county, all of House Seats flipped from Republican to Democrat even with there being over 200,000 more votes for John Cox than Gavin Neusom for Governor. How is that possible?

The Democrats have not won California.They ripped it off. They can not win an honest election if they tried.
Any proof of election irregularities, or is this just being sore at the results you just don't like?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Think about this. In Orange County, a heavy Republican favored county, all of House Seats flipped from Republican to Democrat even with there being over 200,000 more votes for John Cox than Gavin Neusom for Governor. How is that possible?

The Democrats have not won California.They ripped it off. They can not win an honest election if they tried.
Huh? Cox lost Orange County by 529 votes, not 200,000. The vote was Newsom: 531,638 Cox: 531,109. The House races Republicans lost were mostly by 1 -4 percentage points so I have no idea what the heck you are talking about "Democrats ripping off the election"

https://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/governor/county/orange

Old 11-26-2018, 11:41 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Wizard View Post
Lol. Facts aren't important! Only ideology.
There's always "alternative facts", right?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:

I get what you're saying about "identity politics" and "victimology". I truly do. It's annoying. However, have a genuine look at Intersectionalism and Privilege and what that is. It does exist and can effect you, as a gay male, too. It's better to acknowledge it rather than deny it. You can dislike victimology and identity politics and also acknowledge that privilege does exist and that people do benefit from it in different ways.

Yes, the left needs to get past victimology, but the right needs to acknowledge the existence of privilege as well.

If we do both, we'll all be better for it.
Nobody plays victimology and identity politics like Donald Trump when he's stoking white grievance and playing to nativism.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You aren't the problem, the Republican party is. I know plenty of Republicans who don't have any racial animus or hatred toward gay people, but you get a jackwagon like John Cox running for governor who has publicly stated that homosexuality leads to bestiality and that we need charter schools to keep trans teachers out of our schools and you wonder why he lost? Pete Wilson got re-elected largely because of his support for prop 187 which was popular with a majority of Californians but over time as the state's minority population increased people blamed Pete Wilson and the Republican party for attempting to pass that piece of legislation. This won't stop at California, Republicans will lose more states unless they can abandon the identity politics and become more inclusive. My guess is that some of the Republican California legislators could have held their seat if they hadn't hitched their wagon to Trump.
Don't tell me I already know Repubs have no good candidates here but Travis Allen and he didn't get far in this liberal bastion. Tell the poster here (Kttam) who hates all Repubs that we aren't the problem just the helpless citizens watching the destruction of a once great state

Old 11-27-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Don't tell me I already know Repubs have no good candidates here but Travis Allen and he didn't get far in this liberal bastion. Tell the poster here (Kttam) who hates all Repubs that we aren't the problem just the helpless citizens watching the destruction of a once great state
Well, the solution is the same - if you don't like the candidates your party offers, find other candidates or be one yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California